.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lake Somerville State Park

We didn't leave McKinney State Park until 12:30 yesterday, a very late departure time for me. I usually like to be on the road by 9:00, but the cold and icy weather made it more prudent to wait. In the meantime, we went to the local HEB grocery store and stocked up on some supplies. On the way out of the park, we also dumped the tanks since we will be at our next stop for six nights.

The sun finally came out and the temperatures warmed some, so we headed out. It was a realitively short drive of only 86 miles, so we could take our time. Little did we know when we arrived, that there were only about five rigs camping in the park in the more than 100 sites. We asked the gal at headquarters to recommend the best two sites and she did. We took a look at sites 44 and 45 and fell in love with them. The sites were very large, were very private, and had a magnificent view of the lake. What more could you ask for?

I couldn't have put out my awning if I wanted to because of the trees, but that side of the rig gets the afternoon shade, so it wouldn't matter in warmer weather.

This is the view of Lake Somerville from my site. The site goes all the way down to the water and you can walk forever on the beach along the lake. This is one of the few parks in the area that isn't under a fire ban. That's the reason we came here. Last night Pam and Stan fixed chicken over the fire and today I did Italian sausage. I'm going to enjoy our stay here!

Every evening, there are dozens of cardinals foraging in our backyard along with ruby crowned kinglets, white throated sparrows, blue gray gnatcatchers, Carolina wrens, tufted titmice, yellow rumped warblers, and Carolina chickadees. Along the shore are also spotted sandpipers, willets, coots, and plenty of crows. If the temps were about ten degrees warmer, it would be perfect.

I didn't hook up the water yesterday because the forecast was for freezing temps last night. When Emma and I went out this morning at 6:30, there was definitely "frost on the pumpkins." It was a good decision. Today I hooked the hose up and we'll see if that was a good idea. It does seem a tad bit warmer this evening.

This afternoon, Pam and I drove to town to find where I can fill up on propane on the way out. We stopped at a lumber store that was more of a hardware store and picked up some firewood and verified that it will be a good spot to fill the propane tank. We visited a few other stores in the town of Somerville, filled up the car with gas, and headed back to camp. This park is really out in the boonies.

This is Stan with their collie, George, enjoying the sun and campfire. That's where we do our cooking.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I hope you don't get this comment twice, if so.. sorry, it seems like Blogger is having some problems.

    I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this! I was searching around for some information on Lake Somerville SP and wanted an idea of what the sites were like, and which site to try and get. We're headed out this weekend and won't get there until after dark, so I'm definitely looking for sites 44 & 45 to be open!

    I didn't know they were allowing fires, so that is GREAT news! Thanks again!!

    Malaka
    mchessher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malaka,
    Sorry to say, this afternoon, 2/3/09, the park posted a fire ban. They are allowing use of the provided charcoal grill, however. Each site has a grill and the country pork ribs I fixed this evening were excellent. Site #43 is also a great site. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete