.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Catching a Virus

My health has been fine, but my computer was getting sicker by the moment. It was doing very strange things and becoming very frustrating to me. I was at my wit's end when a friend suggested I go see the "Geek Squad." I'm old enough and isolated enough not to know where to find a geek squad (at least I know what a geek squad is :)), so she told me to go to Best Buy. I did, and 24 hours and $250 dollars later the laptop is well and I'm protected against viruses. I had tried to install some spyware about two weeks ago, but was unsuccessful.

I know where the virus came from and I'm not happy. The Fish and Wildlife Service, and other government agencies, have instituted new rules lately about volunteers using government computers...they are not allowed to touch them! Of course, we're still asked to do things that require using a computer and are asked to use our own. The problem arose when something was downloaded on the computer in the Outpost that was infected. The virus spread to several of the volunteer's computers and because of my difficulties installing some protection, my computer was crashing. I don't think I'll do anymore government work on my laptop. There's more to this story, but I won't go into it here.

In the meantime, I got a call from Elliff Motors that the base plate to be installed on the new Focus had arrived, and I drove the new car to Harlingen on Friday and switched out with the old car. So the new car is now in the shop getting the plate and having the brake system installed and won't be ready until Monday. Tomorrow, I will be picking up Crystal at the airport and she will drive off with the red Focus and I will be car-less. All of this with only a few days left before my planned departure. Thank goodness, I have the next few days off to get things organized and packed after three months here.

This morning's bird tour was a success and we even found a Peregrine Falcon during our trip. The fore casted rain never materialized as the front got stalled north of here, and we had a sunny, warm day. It's supposed to be very nice for the next six days. That would be great.

I've tried to download a picture, but I'm not having any better luck than before, so that seems to tell me that it is an Internet connection issue rather than the virus thing. I will definitely use my trucker's antennae and booster at my next stop to see if that helps.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment