.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Blue Bill Point

It was an interesting journey today to get to the Army Corps of Engineers' Blue Bill Point campground on Fort Gibson Lake in  Northeast Oklahoma.  I traveled on US 69 the whole way.  It's a four lane highway that goes through quite a few towns along the way which is certainly more interesting than driving an Interstate.  But, I have one thing to say about Oklahoma roads....when they're good, they're good, but when they're bad, they're horrible!  After today's drive, I fully expected to find just about every screw loose in the rig.  Dang!  About 30% of the time I was tightly gripping the steering wheel trying to avoid all those lumps and bumps. 

Anyway, I eventually bounced my way into the Blue Bill Point campground, and was thrilled with what I found.  Compared to last night, this is heaven.

It's a big long site with electric and water.  You can see how far away the nearest campers are.  I could also stay here three nights for less than what I paid for last night.  :)

This is the view of the lake that I have from the picnic table.  I really do like the Army Corps of Engineer parks.

Although it was overcast for my drive (which I don't dislike), the afternoon was just gorgeous.  I especially enjoyed the fact that it was a Sunday afternoon, and most people left.  I've gotten used to the quiet and peacefulness of  National Wildlife Refuges. 

Lest you think that I have forgotten the birds, I've included a few pics that I took while I sat out on my patio this afternoon.  :)

A pair of scissor-tailed flycatchers made good use of the electrical wires to scan the skies for flying insects.

I had a good time watching two male orchard orioles battling for the attention of one female in the big trees on my site. 

There were also numerous Baltimore orioles singing their hearts out all over the campground.  There were also warblers and vireos flitting about, but they were too fast for me to catch them with the camera.


and of course, there was a pair of Canada geese that made their way through the grounds after most of the campers had left.  I'll be staying here two nights.  I may snoop around  Wagoner, OK, tomorrow to see if there's anything interesting.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it in good conditionn! Man do I wish I could be traveling around. I did see a yellow and black bird on Sun while caching. I think it was a finch, does that sound right?
    I use to see these all the time as a kid, andmloved them. They seem to be few and far between now days
    Have fun.
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very nice place to stop. I've been thinking about those who were traveling this last few days with the weather that has been moving thru. Glad all is well.

    What kind of RV do you have? What do you pull?

    ReplyDelete