.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, March 20, 2009

Working on next fall

I was shocked to find that I had excellent cell phone and internet access this morning. I took advantage of this situation to take care of a few bills electronically and to make a few phone calls. I never know when I'm going to have great reception, and was happy to discover this on a day off.

I tried calling Big Cypress Nat'l Preserve in Florida and once again had to leave a message. I did this about a month ago, and did not receive any call back. I'm trying to set up a volunteer position for next fall and winter. After striking out at Big Cypress, I decided to try calling Buenos Aires Nat'l Wildlife Refuge in SE Arizona. I actually got to speak to Bonnie, the volunteer coordinator, and things sounded pretty possitive. She will be emailing an application to me. Buenos Aires is located about 80 miles south of Tucson. I'm looking to expand my winter horizons beyond Texas!

I also got a call from the Ford dealer in Marble Falls today. Apparently the part for the passenger's side floor has arrived in four days, as opposed to two weeks. I'm thinking I may just drive into Marble Falls tomorrow and get it installed. Then I'm going to make a terriaki shrimp stir fry on the grill. I was able to get a pound of gulf shrimp at the HEB grocery store in Cedar Park last week and I do like stir fry and gulf shrimp!

Yesterday was spent doing the Post Oak Creek Trail bird survey and working on my educational presentation about endangered invertebrates found in Texas caves and sink holes. I'm trying to wrap my mind around pseudoscorpions, cave harvestmen, tooth cave ground beetles, and cave mold beetles. Karst invertebrates and their lifestyles and challenges are helping to keep my mind from going dormant. ;) I always endeavor to learn something new at each of my volunteer assignments, but I must say that itty-bitty insect cave inhabitants is really pushing my envelope! What a life this is!!

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment