.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A good BS and a change in plans

I did the three hikes out at Doeskin Ranch this morning, and although I didn't find any golden-cheeked warblers, there were some new and different birds along the surveys. Two turkeys gave my heart a start as they suddenly took off, I found a Lincoln's sparrow, and a pair of Eastern bluebirds were sitting in a tree along with a singing lark sparrow. After last week's rain, there were also some ring-necked ducks on the old stock pond. Up to this point I had only seen 23 turtles in this pond. The temperatures warmed up quickly and it was eighty by the time I finished the surveys.

In the afternoon, I went over to the Flying X to help cut out fabric for some bags that Diana and Peggy are sewing to hold the ten or so tables that are needed for the education programs. Peggy and Paul will be leaving on the first of April. I have decided I'd like to move into their site after they leave at the Flying X. I would stay there for a month before I head on down the road. I think I would enjoy the change in scenery. The site is on top of one of the tallest hills and the views are very nice. I've left a note for Rob (who is on annual leave this week) with my request to change my site.

This is also the week we were supposed to spend three nights in Fredricksberg. As it turns out, because of it being spring break, there are no campground sites available in the area. So, that little side trip has been postponed for a couple of weeks. I'm still very interested in going there, and maybe we can do it during the middle of the week in the near future. There are a couple of weeks where we have to work on Friday and Saturday because of educational programs. It may be possible to get a reservation at a campground if we do it in the middle of the week.

On the way back from the Flying X, I noticed several areas where the bluebonnets have started to bloom. They're just starting, but that's one of the reasons I came to this refuge...to see the bluebonnets. I will get some pictures as the bloom increases. I'm sure last week's rain really helped out!

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment