.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, April 22, 2010

A walk in the rain

I awoke to the calls of the Chuck-Will's-Widows.  These birds are nocturnal insect eaters with large flat heads, small bills, and enormous mouths.  They catch insects on the wing, and their name comes from the call they make.  They have just arrived in the last two nights, and were calling from everywhere around the rig.  Since I set the alarm for six, I took Emma out in the dark and we were surrounded by their loud calling.  We were also pretty wet by the time we returned to the rig as clouds and light rain moved in overnight.

Everyone showed up for the bird tour this morning despite the overcast and wet conditions.  I took the folks to the Victoria tract, but we got skunked!  There wasn't one golden-cheeked even singing in the murky conditions.  Okay, so we drove the 25 miles or so to the Russel tract, and after using up almost all of our time, I finally found a black-capped vireo, and everyone was able to get a look at it.  :)  Phew!  I didn't want to end the trip totally skunked, so I was relieved that this bird cooperated.  The folks today were a happy group and especially friendly.  It made for an enjoyable morning.

Emma and I spent most of the afternoon and evening indoors since there seems to be a constant drizzle out doors.  More rain and possible T-storms are forecast for tomorrow as well.  I have several errands to run in Cedar Park tomorrow, so I won't be bothered much by the weather.  I just hope it clears out of here for the festival over the weekend.

I did start my "getting ready to move on" lists today.  I've got about eight days to get everything accomplished so it won't be overwhelming if I work on it a little at a time.  My most dreaded chore is checking the air pressure in the tires.  I have an air compressor, but it is really heavy for me to move around.  I also struggle with the pressure gauge.  I just can't seem to get it seated properly on the tire valves to get an accurate reading without numerous tries.  Ugh!  I guess that's the only thing that I really hate about this lifestyle.  I wish there was some one else to do that chore.  :(

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! A disgruntled govt worker? I hate it when that happens. If I had been your census taker, I would have had your life story, known your gas mileage, plus helped you with the tire pressure gauges! Goes to show that some people are never happy. I am so delighted to hear about your latest grandbaby. I have a pink blanket ready to take over when I know her name!

    ReplyDelete