.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, December 10, 2010

Where’s the juicer?

When I spent two winters down in the Rio Grande Valley volunteering at Laguna Atascosa NWR, one of my favorite things to do was go to one of the local orange groves and buy a big sack of oranges.  I’d have fresh squeezed juice every morning with breakfast.  Today was a day to head to Beaumont for a big grocery trip, and lo and behold there were big sacks of Texas navel oranges for sale.

IMG_7493So, I grabbed an 18 lb bag and put it in the cart.   I also picked up a nice ham for the volunteer Christmas dinner.  I’ve said I will provide the ham and raisin gravy.  I love raisin gravy, and it goes best with ham and mashed potatoes.  I hate those spiral sliced hams.  The slices are too thin for my tastes, so I had to search a bit for a beautiful bone in ham that wasn’t pre-sliced!  Well, I went over the 100 dollar mark today at the HEB grocery store.  Living alone, that seldom happens.  I guess it’s true that you shouldn’t go grocery shopping when you’re hungry.  :)

 

Anyway, once I got back to the rig, I began to search for my hand juicer for the oranges.  I knew exactly where I kept it in my old rig.  But since I haven’t used it since I got my new rig, I had to scratch my head as to it’s location.  I looked everywhere I could think of three times!  Still, no juicer.  So, what’s  one person going to do with 18 lbs of oranges?  Ack!!

 

I think some of you fulltimers that have switched contents from one rig to another in a day can sympathize with not knowing where an item has been moved to. 

IMG_7494So, I checked the pots and pans drawer for the fourth time, and Viola!! there it was hiding under a pot lid.  I had begun to wonder if I’d tossed it out during the move.  Time to end this post and get busy squeezing!

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

20 comments:

  1. Fresh squeezed OJ...Yumalicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love eating those big sweet oranges. No more, too much acid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thing you finally found your juicer!

    I myself have stopped eating oranges for years, but love to drink fresh squeeze OJ! Your blog makes me want to have a cup of it right NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to have sore wrists by the time you finish squeezing all those oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love fresh squeezed OJ. Craig does the shopping and will buy them when the price goes down to an acceptable amount.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those oranges look lovely, strangely, have not found any here in Florida, where are the Florida navels? All I have seen are little nubbin things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HEB is one of our favorite stores.

    Using a hand juicer, not only do yet get fresh squeezed OJ, but you may use more calories to make it than you consume drinking it. A win win situation :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly what you mean by not being able to find anything. I'm at that stage now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You wrote about oranges today, I wrote about mandarins--we're on the same wavelength!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We still haven't found all the things I am sure I put in this rig (it's our first) I think things just disappear. John just thinks I'm getting old timers disease.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm salivating just thinking about your freshly squeezed OJ!! I know it was worth searching for the tool :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought a big bad of navel oranges a couple of weeks ago too. My juicer isn't a fancy schmancy one either. It's an vintage "Juice-O-Matic" from the fifties, and it works beautifully. I love fresh orange juice!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been a big orange eater. They are a bit too acidic for my stomach plus I hate getting all sticky trying to peel the the gol darn things. Tangelos are more to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When we stayed in the San Antonio area we bought Texas sweet grapefruit by the bag like your oranges. Those grapefruit were so good, we went through several bags that winter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope we can find those down here. We love the Texas oranges. They are so much sweeter than others.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mouth is watering! Glad you found your juicer!

    Yes, we know how it feels! We tore the place apart looking for the electric blanket! It was in the drawer under the sofa, didn't have that in the old rig!

    Your ham idea sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait till we get a little farther South to hit the HEB stores...love their meat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is one big sack of oranges!!..happy juicing!!

    ReplyDelete