.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, December 20, 2010

Can you count?

_MG_7664
After attending the farewell luncheon for fellow volunteers Fonda and Denny, I decided to take a drive around the refuge to see if I could get one of the pictures needed for my photography assignment.  It’s mostly a matter of luck and being in the right place at the right time.  As it turned out, I was able to find one of the many huge flocks of snow geese that are presently on the refuge.  So, here’s the challenge for today: How many snow geese do you estimate are in this flock?  (I hope if you click on the picture, you’ll get a larger version) 

Some commenters have asked how I count the birds when I do the bird surveys.  Well, here’s a good example.  As I approached this area, many geese took flight.  I have a very small window of time to estimate their numbers, hence the challenge to you.  Assuming the picture enlarges for you, think of it as an instant view through a pair of binoculars.  I certainly don’t count each and every individual bird.  I estimate in bunches through my binoculars as I scan from left to right.  I’ll reveal my estimate at the end of this post.
IMG_7688Don’t forget that there are also plenty of birds left on the ground in the marsh that haven’t taken flight yet.  :)
IMG_7700The first picture at the top is probably only about 1/5 of the numbers of the birds that were in this area of the marsh.  Their numbers are truly astounding, and they’re constantly moving around.  You just never know where they’re going to decide to congregate, but you can sure hear them from miles away!  Snow geese are certainly not a quiet bunch.  :)  Their almost constant calls are not as haunting to me as those of Canada geese or sandhill cranes, but they certainly attract my attention.
IMG_7759I’ve chosen this picture (which is also my new header) to best depict the magnitude of the snow geese taking flight on the refuge.  Since that was one of the photographs on my ‘to do’ list for Stephanie, I hope she agrees.  (There are also about 75 white-faced ibis in this picture.)

For those of you that took the challenge, my estimate of birds in the first picture is: 1300 snow geese in the air, an additional 600 on the ground, and 1 great egret in the foreground!  There were probably over 10,000 snow geese in this small area of the marsh.  Talk about snow birds in Texas!!  :)  If you’re in the area, come on down and help me count!

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy 

16 comments:

  1. That's quite a job counting those birds. I don't think I would be able to do it. Glad YOU are working there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guessed 1 million!!! I don't think I'd make a very good bird counter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had estimated about 2,000 Snow Geese in the first pic counting in groups of 10. When I first thought about doing bird counts, I was overwhelmed but it's quite easy and lots of fun! I could almost hear those geese calling from here....it's amazing the volume they reach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is truly an awesome photograph! You did good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This effort proves what my better half always says- I can't count. I was quite a bit under your estimate.

    If I had a day job, I would not give it up for bird counting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to leave the counting up to you!

    And to my bird counting son who be 37 THIRTY SEVEN ~ see I can't even count how old my own kid is! ~ that I talked about on last nights' blog! I just hope he didn't see it because I sent him a link to read your blog and see all your photo's... if he did, trust me, I'll never hear the end of it!

    Happy counting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't try to count them & just raced to the end of the post to see how many darn birds were in the picture. Never was too good at that there counting stuff you know. Figured if I came down there I could stand along the marsh edge & make goofy faces at them to get the flock off the ground & flying........D'ya think:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have guessed about 1500!..great shots and good counting today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say, too many to count, but that's why I don't have your job. You are good at what you do, Judy. You not only have patience, but you have excellent photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is a ton of birds by anyones count, I'l bet Rigg's and Emma would be going nut's. be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Oh darn!!! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, - - - - -

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the header is fantastic. I wasn't anywhere close to the right amount. I tried counting one little corner, and then guesstimating. How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is an amazing number of Snow Geese in one area!! They look so pretty when they take off or land at once! Stephanie better love your pictures or your readers will have a few choice words for her! LOL
    Another wonderful header on your blog!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guessed 1,000....Hey, when you're done there...you need to travel the state of Texas and count how many "snow birds" are traveling HERE right now!! Only count the ones camping...and make sure you get the ones "on the ground" in tents...and the ones "flying by" on the interstate!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a bird that started showing up at my feeder and I don't know what it is. I keep trying to get a picture so I can post it, let you know about it, and then let you tell me what kind it is because I bet you'll know. I'll leave the counting to you and enjoy the comments from the people who tried. I particularly liked Dennis and Donna's comment about the "snow birds" in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful photos! The noise must be deafening there. I can not imagine being able to count them though. That is amazing!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete