.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Northerly winds

The winds were pretty brisk today out of the north.  A good wind does seem to lessen the biting mosquitoes, so I can report that I didn’t get one bite today!  That’s something to celebrate.

 

This afternoon, Emma and I took a drive down all the roads of the refuge that are open to the public. 

_MG_7352The northerly winds kind of ruffled this great blue heron’s feathers!  There was not much going on, bird wise, but we did get a few pics.

_MG_7350 _MG_7344 There seems to be more loggerhead shrikes around this year, and the ever present neo-tropical cormorants.

I visited Colin in the VIS, and he only had seven people stop in today for a total of $2.00 in sales.  Hardly seems worth it to me to keep the visitor’s center open at that rate.  :(

_MG_7351I did see a couple of Northern shovelers on Shoveler Pond, but there hasn’t been much activity on the pond this year.  I found out that it’s because the plan is to let the pond go dry.  When it does, the refuge will reconstruct the area and make improvements.  Shoveler’s  Pond was a fresh water oasis that was inundated with salt water from hurricane Ike.  There is a two mile drive around the pond that will be paved, and the pond will be deepened to provide a reservoir for surrounding moist soil units.  I don’t know how many years it will take to accomplish those plans.

_MG_7357 There are many great egrets on the refuge no matter when you visit here.  As some of you may know, egrets suffered great losses at the turn of the 20th century as they were slaughtered to obtain their plumes for women’s hats.  Thankfully, that doesn’t happen any longer.  I think they are rather elegant birds.

_MG_7360I couldn’t end the day without a picture of another fine red-tailed hawk.  They really are abundant this year.

 

I was surprised this morning to find that I now have 100 followers.  I never expected that!  You bloggers know that most followers are people that you have never met.  It’s like having 100 new friends.  How nice is that?

 

Thanks for stopping by….talk to you later,  Judy

19 comments:

  1. Love your shot of the egret in flight!! It's also great to see a photo of a shoveler with his head out of the water. most of my photos of these beauties are of them doing what they do best, shoveling! ;-)
    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad so many have found you. Your photographs of the birds tea us all to value the wildlife of our country.

    Keep it up.

    Glad the mosquitoes are lessening for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are feeling the cold here in Eastern Texas too....Love the Egret photo....Get your bottle of wine out and enjoy tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog and your pictures are incredible so I'm not surprised you have so many followers. I've recommended your blog to several people. The beak on that hawk is really something. And the egret in flight - gorgeous. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The piercing cry of the Red Tailed Hawk is the sound of summer in my mind. Love to watch them wheel in the sky watching for an unwary ground squirrel. Good to know you are looking after our hawks while they dodge the snow also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos, as always, are astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you explained about the Blue Heron and the wind. I thought there for a second that squirrel was attacking it and all that was visible was it's tail.

    I have seen a Bald Eagle here a few times, as close as ten feet, but no pictures as it happened each time while walking the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great shots once again, Judy!!...one hundred followers!..wowza!!..I am up to 65 and I thought that was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elegant egret indeed! What a great picture of the majestic bird in flight. Wow. That picture is an award winner, in my humble opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That header shot is great Looks like he's turned on final, and has full flaps and is getting ready to drop the landing gear, see what imagination does, a hawk is a fearsome creature, just ask my little Sadie.. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the Egret photo. Your pictures are all amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shot of the Egret - and the red tailed hawk. I guess you can say now that you have a "flock of followers"! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LouanneNielsen@aol.comDecember 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM

    Judy, I've followed your travels for over a year. I thoroughly enjoy reading about your volunteer efforts. As a birder who was at Anahuac in April, it's fun to see what you are seeing there now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photo's as always!

    Nice of the shoveler's to be on Shoveler's Pond!! Sounds like a large undertaking they have planned. I hope the birds don't mind it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful bird pictures. You never disappoint in that department. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my goodness, the header picture and the Egret are just wonderful, to be able to take such pictures is something I aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a priviledge to be one of your 100! You continue to inspire us with your love of nature, birds, your sincere writing and fabulous photography! Gracias! K

    ReplyDelete