.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, December 17, 2010

Oh oh, don’t eat in front of the computer!

I just heard on the National news that people that have lunch while looking at their computer are fatter than people that don’t.  Apparently, the distraction of the computer means you’re not keeping track of how much you’re eating.  Hmmm, traveling solo, I have most meals in front of the computer!  Guess I’ll need to change my ways.  Of course, that means I won’t be able to keep up on the blogs that I follow, or make comments.  Wait a minute!  I fix my meals, put them on my plate, and then sit down.  I usually don’t get up to add more food.  When I’m done, I’m done.  Phew!  Where do they get these studies from, anyway?

Today was an overcast, windy (as usual here in Texas), and chilly day.  It was a good day to take care of several unexciting items.  I made a trip to Beaumont this morning to take care of several errands which included getting a new watch.  Some people throw away their watches when they retire and go fulltime.  Not me.  I like to know what time it is.  So, when my watch died a few days ago, getting a new one was high on my list.  I like the cheap ones with numbers big enough to read without my glasses.  I usually get one at Wal-Mart for about ten bucks.  Today’s version came from Target.  I like those metal stretchy bands, and wouldn’t you know that when I got home and finally got the watch extricated from the box, the band turns out to be too big.  It needs to have about three of those stretchy parts taken out of it, but I’m not sure how to do that.  :(  Nuts!

Then I decided I had better clean up the rig again as tomorrow I’ll be having visitors.  JOHN and BRENDA will be stopping by on their way from Louisiana to parts west.  Some of you may know them from blogland.  I’m excited to meet these fellow bloggers.  We’ve got one vacant site left here at the RV pads, so I made sure to remove the picnic table and debris from tree trimming that was covering the site so they can back right in for a night or two.

It’s back to working the VIS tomorrow morning, so I’ll be setting my alarm again tonight.  I’m thinking a big bowl of hot buttered popcorn is in order for tonight, and I’ll be sure not to eat it in front of the computer!  (tends to make the keyboard greasy  :))

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

17 comments:

  1. I can think of some foods that are not good to eat in front of the computer--greasy popcorn is one of them. I'm glad to hear you are still going to write your blog and comment on our blogs. The news just doesn't understand that using our computers is almost as important as eating, and when we combine the two, it's even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I bought a new watch today too! I had a digital but I couldn't see it very well since my cataract surgery so I went with a plain old Timex with regular hands.

    Great to hear that you're meeting up with John & Brenda. They're nice folks!

    I eat breakfast in front of my computer. I agree, I put the stuff in the bowl, eat it and when I'm done, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Judy, I have half a load of relatives in that part of the world, mostly Orange, TX and Anacoco, LA. If you meet an Ellis, a Self or a Bland, chances are they'll deny knowing me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After going through 4 or 5 keyboards, I can attest to the fact that you need to be very careful when drinking in front of the computer! I agree with you though that eating in front of it doesn't make you gain weight.

    I've worn a Timex Easy Reader for years, and once in a while I have to replace the battery or the watchband. I'd sort of like to switch to a stretchy metal band, but don't know if it would work with my watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't eat in front of the computer because I may read something on someone's blog that makes me LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do eat at the computer and do worry about dropping something on it that will cause it to crash and burn. It is too late to worry about being fat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my problem - I eat at the computer. Now I know. However, since all I eat is what I fixed - like you, guess I won't change my habits after all. But at least now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you all the way on your watch philosophies right down to getting them at Walmart. Eating at the computer?? Yep, I'm guilty of that one too. Can life get any better?? I think not:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. That eating at the computer study has to be dumbest one of those nutty studies I've ever heard of. If you eat a cookie at a computer or at a table what difference does it make?

    I haven't worn a wristwatch since I retired 11 years ago. Haven't missed it either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a stupid study!..must not have been a blogger that did that one!!..hope have a great time meeting up with John and Brenda!..what fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonder how many tax dollars it took to do that study? I always eat lunch at the computer, but like you, mine is on a plate and I never get more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you own a cell phone? I used to feel naked without a watch, but now I just use my cell phone to see what time it is...it goes with me everywhere anyway...The only thing we eat at the computer is dark chocolate candy kisses...and try not to get it on our fingers!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I regularly vacuum out my keyboard on the laptop and then run a thin sewing needle between the keys (carefully) to pull out all the dog hairs that seem to migrate into the cracks!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do most everything while using the computer, My table is the side table next to my recliner to put a drink on. I also periodically give the keyboard a shot of canned air and wipe it down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The store that sold the watch probably has the tools to take links out of the stretchy band. I used to work in jewelry/watch department at K-mart and we adjusted the bands, replaced batteries all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crumbs is one of biggest problem when I am on my laptop. I have to regularly use compressed air on my keyboard. Think it might be time now...my K key is not functioning properly. Bagels and cookies are the culprits (sp). Grrrr

    ReplyDelete