.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday baking – my way :)

Blogland is alive with pictures of cookies, cakes, and butter tarts as people prepare their confectionary delights in preparation for the coming holidays.  I’ve never really had a sweet tooth, so I haven’t been tempted to try any of these recipes.  I’m a salty crunchy lady!  So, since I had today off, I decided to fix my holiday treat.

IMG_7779I don’t fix it often because it takes three pounds of pretzels, and even I have trouble consuming that many pretzels by myself before they are no longer fresh.  :)  I’m planning to share these cheesy pretzels with the other volunteers here.   The recipe also takes three days to make, so they should be ready just in time for our Christmas Day dinner. 

IMG_7781I think it’s more interesting to have differently shaped pretzels, so this year I included a bag of Texas shape pretzels.  You just empty the pretzels by hand (so you don’t get all that extra salt from just dumping the bag) into a huge bowl.  Then sprinkle on a 2.7 oz. bottle of popcorn seasoning.  I chose parmesan garlic for this batch.  Next, pour on the bottle of buttery flavored popcorn oil and carefully mix.

IMG_7784You need to then mix/rotate the batch 3-4 times/day for three days until the pretzels absorb the oil and seasoning and dry out.  That’s it!  I keep the bowl in the microwave in between mixings.  You won’t believe how tasty these pretzels are when they’re done!  It’s also a great snack for a Super Bowl Party if you are into those sporty type things.  :)   I guess it’s really not baking, but if you are a salty crunchy type person try this for your holiday snacking.

 

I got an email today from JOHN AND BRENDA

IMG_4061They sent me a picture of themselves, their rig, and Meg, their border collie, as they were pulling out from their visit with me on Sunday morning.  Seems to me that John fits in just fine down here in the southwest sporting that cowboy hat and belt buckle!  :)  I’m thinking that I may just meet up with these good folks again next winter in the Arizona desert…  Hmmm, could some desert boon docking be in my future??

 

Tomorrow, I’m off to participate in the annual Christmas Bird Count.  Amazing to me that something still has the title with Christmas in it.  I’m surprised that it hasn’t been changed to the winter bird count or something like that.  This is an annual count that occurs throughout North America (and Mexico, I think).  I don’t know how long it’s been run for sure, but I know it’s over 50 years.  Groups of people count all the birds they can find in 24 hours in a designated circle that is 15 miles in diameter.  I used to participate in this count back in the 80’s when I lived in upstate New York.  It’s a real bird-a-thon, and generally a good time is had by all.  Last year Tammy, a ranger on the refuge, and I participated together.  We’ll be doing the same again early tomorrow morning.  Guess I’d better get busy and pack a lunch…

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

17 comments:

  1. Looks like a mighty big bowl of yummy trail mix to me:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a fantastic Idea. (you joining us in the desert I just wish you weren't so busy this winter) I can't wait.
    Enjoy your bird counting tomorrow.

    Take Care
    Brenda Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a great recipe!..love all the pretzel shapes!..we will have one bowl please!...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holiday bird count? I like that it's still called Christmas bird count, but it sounds like it doesn't really have anything in common with Christmas other than the timing. Well, it sounds festive, anyway.

    I made a batch of traditional Chex Mix today. It only has to bake for an hour and get stirred every 15 minutes. Much easier than stirring several times a day for three days. I'll bet your pretzels taste yummy, though, and I'm sure they will be appreciated by the other volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pretzel recipe. I'm doing my "COPY/SAVE" - then I'll have it in my computer recipe file when I need it. Sounds delicious. Thank you!

    Have fun counting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like the kind of Christmas dish I could bake.

    Who knew-a national bird count on Christmas day- I wonder if that could be make into a holiday movie-got to be better than some I have seen this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the Texas and boot shaped pretzels. I wonder if they make then in Wisconsin or utah shapes too.

    I like peanut butter on my pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really good and no baking to boot! I'm going to be giving that recipe a try soon - right after I eat all the butter tarts!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Throw in some raisins, honey roasted peanuts, and chocolate and we could be best friends :)


    Nellie
    http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com
    (36 year old fulltime RVer living la vida loca with a cute-butt husband and a stink-butt dog!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, the pretzel snack pix and description has my stomach growling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try those. Think they would be great to make/take as we travel from Blaine to Texas in February/March.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea, and no baking involved, when I think how Donna spent two days with the oven going all day. the only down side is waiting for the pretzels to dry out, I think I would be sampling early. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pretzels really look good. Are the oil and seasonings easy to find?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen a similar recipe with oyster crackers....Can I come to the Xmas party?? I'll bring the Glog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. going back to catch up on some blogs...that sounds darn tasty!
    I may give it a try once we get outta here after the New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete