.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, December 16, 2010

A new assignment

I met with Stephanie, the volunteer coordinator, yesterday afternoon to let her know about my difficulties with the disappearing road for the bird survey.  I’ve now been given a possibly different approach to the areas that were cut off, but will have to check them out early next week on a trial run to see if the Suburban can get through the back roads.  I’m up for that little adventure!  Just about anything that gets me out into the refuge sure beats doing inside office type work.

 

She also asked if I could try to get some photos for her.  There is a list of needed photos that will be used in the new visitor’s centers.  Let’s just say that she didn’t need to twist my arm for me to agree to this assignment.  :)  Then she told me what pictures she was lacking.  Mind you, ideally, all photos should be taken on this refuge.  Okay, let me see the list…

IMG_5103First up was a Virginia rail.  I’ve got that one covered from last year…done!

_MG_7126Next was a green tree frog.  I’m not sure this is the correct species, but I’ll show it to her.

_MG_7427Then there was a picture of the flocks of snow geese taking flight on the refuge.  I don’t think this shot is close enough to the birds, so I’ll have to work on that one.  She also needs pictures of a river otter and periwinkle snails.  I don’t have either of those.  The snails shouldn’t be too hard, but it’s just a matter of luck to find a river otter posing.  :)

IMG_2067Last, but not least, she wants a picture of a bobcat!  No bobcats have been sited on the refuge since hurricane Ike until this week.  One was reported crossing a road in the refuge.  So, this part of the assignment entails staking out that road at sunrise and/or sunset.  Bobcats are creatures of habit, so it may take the same path daily… or maybe not.  Stephanie felt this part of the assignment might be rather boring, but I assured her that it was a challenge that I would enjoy.  I told her that I had this photo of a bobcat from Laguna Atascosa NWR, but she needs to be sure that similar habitat could be found on Anahuac.  I’m wondering if RICK could help me out here with the grass stems crossing the body of the cat.  I tried to clean it up with Picasa 3, but it was a disaster! 

_MG_7594So, late this afternoon I headed out with camera in hand to try to find those species on my assigned wanted list.  :)   I was skunked as far as my list was concerned, but I did get a nice view of a blue-winged teal drake.

_MG_7604This summer my quest was to get the quintessential hummingbird picture, which I don’t think I accomplished.  This time at Anahuac NWR, my quest is for the quintessential white-tailed kite picture.  They are such skittish birds that it will be a small miracle if I can get the picture I’m looking for.  Having these self imposed challenges makes every day spent outside on the refuge a joy, so is it any wonder that Stephanie’s photo requests just tickled me pink?  I guess that’s why I seem to keep returning to Anahuac…each day presents a worthwhile challenge.  Thanks, Stephanie, for giving this old bird a reason to keep on keepin’ on!

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

13 comments:

  1. I don't see how you can ever stop working. It's just too exciting! I'm itching to get back to doing something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want your job!!!! It's a birders heaven!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This new photographic assignment seems to be tailor-made for you, Judy. Hope you get the photos you need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once you get the stake out routine down, you could moonlight as a private eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, they certainly picked the right person for this job! I sent you a picture of the bobcat after some editing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect assignment for you.

    I have looked almost every day for the bobcat that i sighted in my yard, but have not seen him again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like they picked the right woman for the job, and your already half done. Good luck with the rest, that bobcat will be a challenge but worth it if you get a shot up to your usual high standards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go Judy, nothing like having the right person for the job, and you are it. Give Emma a hug from Rigg's and I. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How are you able to find the photos so easily? That is my down fall. I know I have some of an indigo bunting on my deck from last summer and a white mourning dove that flew through, but I couldn't find them if I tried! How does your system work?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally, someone has realized your true talent. I know you will come up with each and every picture she needs. Good job, Judy...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely the right person for the job. A photo challenge is the best kind of challenge, good luck with those elusive bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the poster above. I don't know my birds but would sure love a great photo challenge like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bobcat!?!?! Wow, she doesn't want much, does she? I'm on pins and needles waiting to see if you get the shot!

    ReplyDelete