.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, December 25, 2010

A ghost from Christmas Past??

I was up at the community building this morning about nine to get the ham into the oven for our volunteer Christmas Dinner.  The community building is located a ways behind the RV pads, and has a front room, full kitchen, shower, and laundry room for the use of the volunteers, interns, and occasional Friends of the Refuge meetings.  It is not open to the general public.  Have I told you that the RV pads are rather isolated as well? 

 

Anyway, as I was taking the plastic wrapper off of the ham, the door opened, and a crusty older gentleman entered the building.  His first words to me were “How come you don’t have the TV on?”  Well, hello, who are you?  Turns out he wanted to know if Glenn or Sonny were around.  Glen was a volunteer that was here for the last several winters, and Sonny was the ranger that ran the hunter’s check station last year; both a couple of ‘good old boys.’  Neither of them are here this year. 

 

As I worked away at stripping off the layer of skin from the ham, he regaled me with tales of how he would bring the boys some flounder and teach them how to filet the fish.  The conversation turned to Hurricane Ike, and how he was one of the few that sat out the storm in the nearby community of High Island.  There was a mandatory evacuation of the whole area, but he refused to leave.  When the police came to make him evacuate, he and a bunch of his cronies were ready for them, and stood their ground in his driveway with shotguns loaded!  As he tells it, the police backed down and he stayed. 

 

He asked me if he could have the ham trimmings to fry up for his hunting dog, Beau (I’m surprised it wasn’t named Bubba :)).  I said sure thing, and he wrapped them up in the plastic from the outside of the ham and was gone as suddenly as he appeared.  Funny thing is, I was here last year, and don’t recall this gentleman ever showing up…especially on Christmas Day.  Hmmm…

IMG_7864As I went back up to the building shortly before noon, two of the other volunteers had erected a small Christmas tree to make our meal more festive.

IMG_7865That’s Dorothy and Bob in the front, and Fonda and Denny in the back.  As usual, there was more food than we could possibly consume, and it was all delicious.  I especially enjoyed the raisin gravy, of course.  It’s only on a group occasion like this that I get a chance to make it.  :)

_MG_7861And in the surrounding fields, the cattle were lowing (or bawling) on this very blustery cold Christmas Day.  One of those young ones even found a way out of the fenced field and went high tailing it down FM 1985!  That was when I was back at the rig, and Emma went berserk!  She could see it out the side window.  Next thing, it’s mother was in hot pursuit down the inside of the fence line.  As they disappeared from sight, I hoped the young one found a way back into the field.

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

16 comments:

  1. hope you and Emma had a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful Christmas present. A visit from a stranger with great tales to tell. Merry Christmas to you and Emma from all of the Dixons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you had a good day & meal with friends, Be safe out there, Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you and Emma happy holidays and best wishes for a safe New Year. We sure enjoyed getting to meet you this year and look forward to more adventures in 2011.

    John and Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas from sunny Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you love meeting "characters" like that? I think it makes life more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas and glad to see you had a nice dinner with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More things for you to count at the Refuge--cows and crusty old gentlemen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to look up the raisin gravy as I had never heard of it before; will have to try it the next time we make a ham dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am cownfident the Mother & young one were reunitied just over the hill. What a cowincidence it would be if the 'character' you met was the owner of the cows eh:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a great Christmas,
    Ghost and all. Now on to the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spent a lot of time watching the bull, cows, and calves in Ireland. They had individual personalities, and I'm convinced the male calves (can't think of the word for them right now) act just like young boys. They love to play fight and are always in some kind of trouble or another. The little heifers stay close to their Mamas, just like good little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute blog Judy! You don't have to have a bird in your stories to have them be interesting ~ such a story teller you are!

    I hope there was a good night for baby and Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love watching cows. They are ever bit as entertaining as horses. Hope you have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. After your comment on my blog I downloaded Picaso3 to my Mac. I haven't spent much time with it yet, but I will. Thanks for the info and I'll holler if I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh it takes all kinds of characters to make the world go round, huh?


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete