.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Avian Potpourri

_MG_7261Fellow volunteer, Colin, and I did the bird survey this morning, and were treated to views of thousands and thousands of waterfowl taking advantage of the many flooded moist soil units on the refuge.  The massive flocks of snow geese, pintails, and shovelers were viewed through binoculars, so my pictures tonight are of those species that were in closer range.  This boat-tailed grackle stopped by for a moment.
_MG_7266 _MG_7264 
Though not in our count section, this Easter phoebe and swamp sparrow made their presence known. 

I’ll give you more details on how the survey works next week when I’ll be doing it on my own.  It’s pretty regimented, but any day out in the field is better than a day in the office.  :)   As the count progressed, we shed a layer or two of clothes as the temps went from 35* to the upper 50’s.
IMG_7305As we drove from survey site to survey site, we noticed that the winter practice of burning fields has begun in southern Texas.  This burn was not on the refuge.  Ranchers and farmers burn the fields every year to refresh the foliage growth.  The haze of smoke spreads for quite a distance.

We were done with the survey by noon, so headed back to the rigs.  Along about 2:30, I had Emma jump in the car and we went for a drive on the refuge roads to see what we could see.
_MG_7293 _MG_7279 _MG_7299
We had a nice view of a crested caracara on the beginning of the Shoveler Pond Loop.  This bird is considered a raptor, and feeds mainly on carrion and small mammals and lizards.  I think this particular bird was not actively hunting for food.  Notice how the area of it’s lower neck seems swollen?  After eating, raptors store food in their crop which is located just below their neck.  I’m thinking this guy just finished feasting on something.  :)  That pinkish area between it’s eye and lower beak can also change color in seconds.  Kind of like a turkey vulture’s head.  Under stress, the turkey vulture’s head goes from red to almost white!
_MG_7308There were a few dowitchers on the pond today, but since the hurricane the numbers of birds and alligators has drastically reduced.  Shoveler Pond was a totally fresh water impoundment on the refuge, but Ike caused it to be flooded with salt water two years ago.  It has been very slow to recover from that onslaught.
_MG_7311This snowy egret was making its way along the sides of a slough as we headed back to the refuge entrance.  I was hoping to maybe see a river otter in the late afternoon, but it was not to be.
_MG_7326On our way out, we flushed this red-tailed hawk. (wish I could have gotten a pic of the whole bird!)  Hundreds, if not more, of red-tails winter on the refuge.  This is a nice adult bird, and reminds me of the first red-tail that I banded in Greece, New York.  While holding the bird by it’s legs in my left hand to do some measurements, it reached down with it’s razor sharp beak and took a sizeable chunk out of the heal of my palm.  This is a formidable raptor, and certainly gained my respect that day!  I hope you have enjoyed this mixture of refuge bird life.  I sure enjoyed my day seeing them.  :)

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

15 comments:

  1. I have learned so much from your posts. Thank you for taking the time to explain these birds to us. I want to know how you can possibly count all those birds. Especially when they keep moving on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post today! I wish I knew more about birds, and with your help I just might get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the antics of the grackles. They were are meal time entertainment in the open air cafes in Mexico!!
    The crested caracara is quite the handsome bird, would love to see one. Would also love to see any egret of any kind, they are such elegant birds.
    I quite envy you and all your wonderful sightings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great bird lesson today, Judy!! I, too wish I knew more about all the different kinds of birds..you are most fortunate to be be able to see so many different species!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do they have to be banded in the first place? I know there are probably good reasons, but it obviously stresses the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great hawk picture. I just knew that the title did not mean bird stew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again for more bird lessons and great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome photo's and facts today! well, except for the grackle...the nasty things are such seed stealers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The crested caracara is one I've never seen a photo of -cool. So many of these birds are new to me. I always learn something reading your blog. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, those Grackles are like school yard bullies around the bird feeders at home. I have watched them on the feeders using their beaks in a sideways scooping motion to fling the birdseed off the feeders onto the ground. Dont' know why they do that but they do!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The picture of the hawk is amazing just as it is. If you would have gotten the whole bird in the picture, it wouldn't been as close. I love the shot as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Photos and a diverse batch of birds you saw too! I volunteered @ a bird of prey rehab center for 2 yrs, unfortunately they had to close, but it was amazing to help with the various raptors I was attacked (on my head) by a barred owl..those talons are sharp as razors from that day on while working in the flight cage I wore a hard hat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy, great photos, I love the red tailed hawk one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning pics of the birds!
    Doesn't the Crested Caracara look like he's wearing a toupee too big for his head?! :)

    I never knew that about vultures!

    And the Red Tailed Hawk, he must have been VERY close that you couldn't get him all in the shot!That's a treat!! They are so impressive "up close and personal". Feisty aren't they?!
    Thank you,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Judy, as always, I love the bird pictures and the bird lesson. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete