.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Another day, another bird survey

Once the windshield defrosted this morning (I don’t have a scraper), I headed out to do this week’s bird survey.  After the thousands of waterfowl we saw last week, I was really looking forward to doing the count on my own this week.  I should have known!  There’s one thing you can count on about birds…they have wings!  :)  And they used those wings to travel to other areas of the refuge.  :(  It’s not that I didn’t see any birds, I just didn’t count the numbers that we did last week.

This is a scientific survey, so the rules of what to do and where are pretty strict.  There are seven sites that I visit in the East Unit of the refuge.  The count, obviously, has to be done on non hunt days. (this area is where a public hunt is allowed on the weekends)  I don’t want anybody to mistake me for a low flying double-breasted migrant bird lady!  :)
_MG_7481I couldn’t count these snow geese because they just flew past outside my count area.  I just put this pick in for AL…is this that curvy S thing that leads you through the picture?

As I approach each count area, I record which birds I flush and how many.  Then, once stopped, I scan the count area for all species, and how many of each.  After five minutes of scanning, I then walk a predetermined transit that I believe is 500 feet long counting all birds that are flushed while I walk.  The levies determine the boundaries of each count area.  Some of these fields are flooded, and others aren’t.  Flooded fields are the only areas where you’ll find waterfowl.  In the other unflooded areas, I mainly count land birds and raptors that are hunting the field.
_MG_7468 _MG_7470
While I was driving between count areas, I came upon this red-tailed hawk perched in a dead tree.  It wasn’t long before it took flight.  High perches are what red-tails like.  Their eye power is unbelievable.  They can see a mouse a mile away!  It was early in the cool morning, so the thermals that these hawks float on to hunt just hadn’t developed yet.
_MG_7487 _MG_7491
The bird on the left is a Savannah sparrow, and the bird on the right is an Eastern Phoebe.  There are a gazillion Savannah sparrows on the refuge, and I generally kick them up in good numbers no matter what count plot I stop at.  That little splash of yellow on it’s eyebrow (known as a lore, in bird circles) is diagnostic of this sparrow.  The amount of yellow is variable.  Of course, the Eastern phoebe didn’t make an appearance until after my five minute scan of the 7th area, so I couldn’t count it.  :(
_MG_7484
_MG_7485
One of my favorite birds on the refuge is the marsh wren.  I just love the way they hop around in the reeds of the marsh and chatter away as they’re doing it.  They don’t hold still for long!  You’ve got to be quick to spot one.  Looks like this one is doing the splits!  :)

Now I’ve got a couple of hours of data entry to do of today’s sightings.  These surveys are my favorite thing to do on the refuge.  Hope you’ve enjoyed a morning in the life of a NWR volunteer…

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

19 comments:

  1. The pictures and the birds are all so beautiful.
    Thanks. Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous shots of the marsh wren...I always hear them but rarely see them.
    I am headed out next week for a Christmas count but if I am going to count snow geese, I may be there for a few days! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't understand how you can count a whole flock of birds flying/moving, far away. Must be some sort of system to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the explanation of your day counting. It still amazes me how you can tell all the birds apart and then get pictures of them. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like you enjoy it a lot more than sitting in a visitors center!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots, of course. One question - how do you count and take pictures at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  8. great shots once again Judy!..happy counting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am learning so much about birds by reading your blog. It is a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love the wrens too! They all seem such sassy little birds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you have caught a curve of birds there alright. Wouldn't it be easier just to blast away with your camera & then when you get to the warm comfort of your rig, sit down, upload the pics to your computer & then just simply take your time with a hot toddy & leisurely count the birds in each frame. Sounds great in theory eh:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope those hordes of waterfowl are still in evidence when we darken your doorstep in a week or so. Hoping to drop by on Saturday the 18th but you know all about the jello casting RV'ers use.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that wren doing the splits a fab photo--and I wonder how you can count a huge flock like the one you flushed yesterday of snow geese--must be nire impossible-

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a Heron here who let's me watch him fish every day...but not tooooo close...Love to get photos of birds and yours are the best byfar!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess I should have realized that there was an exact science to the official counting of birds at a refuge. That's reassuring, actually, to know that each volunteer has rules to follow so that the count doesn't get inflated or deflated. Keep up the good work, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome bird pics, especially the two of the Marsh Wren! They move so fast in the blink of an eye, let alone a camera shutter!!
    Are the mosquitoes still biting since it's gotten so cold?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your method is as scientific as any for counting birds. I'd just be out there making wild guesses!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pictures of the birds today. You can tell by the pictures how much you love what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pictures of the birds, but as far as the "no scraper" have you thought of using a credit card to scrape off the frost?

    ReplyDelete