.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

On the road again....

Well, I finally made it out of Balcones Canyonlands NWR this morning by 9:00. It was pretty much an uneventful 222 miles to Lavon Lake and the Corps of Engineers East Fork Campground. Of course there were two minor setbacks of missed turns on my way here. And, of course, it didn't start raining until it was time for me to set up camp. ;)


Once I got the RV parked, the feathered ambassadors came to greet me. A pair of Mallard ducks waddled into my site and enjoyed one of the several puddles surrounding me.


There has been a lot of rain here in the last eight days. Emma was still inside, so they were able to stay around for a while.


As I was attaching the water hose, I leaned on the post next to the water hookup. That was a mistake! In no time at all, about 100 ants were covering my left hand. Luckily, they weren't fire ants. My whole hand was covered in mere seconds. I got them all off with only a few bites. That wooden post had a huge nest of ants in it!



This is the view out my window by the table. As you can see, it is overcast and puddles abound.



I decided to camp here to visit with Kirk and Pam Wood. They were supposed to be volunteering with me at Swan Lake NWR this summer, but Pam needs surgery on her ankle from an injury suffered at Everglades NP this winter. It turns out that her surgery is tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to get to talk with them this evening before she heads to the hospital tomorrow before the crack of dawn.



Temps today at Balcones were near 100*, so I'm happy to be on the road. I'll leave you with one last sunset from Balcones....



Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment