.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Chores & learning the ropes

Today was laundry day. There is a washer and a drier in the basement of the house that is called the bunk house. It was built in the 1930's, so maybe you can imagine what the basement looks like. It is gross! There is standing water on the floor from last night's rain and it is just plain old filthy. It took me several hours to get finished. The lighting is poor and the steps are steep with only a partial railing. I think I may find a laundromat in one of the towns next week. :0 There are plans to erect a laundry room near the RV sites, and the cement floor/foundation has been poured, but I'm not sure it will be finished during my tour of duty.
In between loads, I stored the Blue Ox tow hitch, got the bicycle down off of the rack, hooked up the new sewer hose, and rearranged the bird feeders. The ruby-throated hummingbirds have already found the feeder. A brilliant colored male is especially fond of it. No birds have visited the thistle feeder or the seed feeder yet, but that usually takes a while. All of the birds are in full breeding ardor and their voices ring out all day long. Just within earshot are Indigo buntings, American goldfinches, common yellowthroats, Baltimore orioles, red-winged blackbirds, great crested flycatchers, song sparrows, chimney swifts, wood peewees, robins, cedar waxwings, and the ever present soaring turkey vultures. Sorry to say, a female indigo bunting was being chased by a male this afternoon and she crashed into Morry and Margaret's rig with fatal results.




Here's my site. Morry and Margaret will be pulling out early tomorrow, so I'll be on my own.
In the afternoon, I went over to the visitor's center to learn the ropes from Morry and Margaret. I'll be running the center tomorrow afternoon for the Sunday surround sound movie afternoon. I will have to climb a ladder to turn the projector on. Could be an interesting afternoon. ;)
Just before sunset, Emma and I took another walk down the 1/2 mile foot trail.


You can just barely get a glimpse of Swan Lake in the background. Emma finds this trail especially worthy of the full involvement of her nose! We set frogs to hopping into the pond and the woods always produce a deer siting....very exciting stuff for her.


I'll end with the sunset over Swan Lake.
Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy



No comments:

Post a Comment