.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Traveled in four different states today

Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, and I can tell you that after 420+ miles of driving, I’m worn out!  I’m generally an early riser, and with the trip on my mind, today was no exception.  I was ready to go by 7:00, but the kennel up in Dyer doesn’t open until 9:00, so Emma and I took our constitutional first, and I dawdled around until I could finally leave.  At that, we had to wait 15 minutes for the place to open, and then their computer didn’t want to work.  So, an easy drop off at the doggy spa for four nights took 45 minutes.  Ugh!

One advantage to the delays is that Jack-in-the-Box (my GPS) was able to take me through Chicago after the rush hour(s) lickity split.  I stopped at the Wisconsin Welcome Center for lunch, and once more for gas along the way.  By the time I made it to Minnesota, I was dragging a little, so I stopped at that Welcome Center also.  I lived in Minnesota for 13 years previous to going full time, so I knew where I was going, but the break was welcome.

IMG_3286

This rest area is just after you cross the Mississippi River. 

IMG_3288

There’s an observation deck so you can enjoy the views of the river.  That’s the I-90 bridge in the background.

IMG_3299

I decided to go down the road about a half mile to view the dam and lock a little closer.

IMG_3295 IMG_3296

Looking north, and then looking south.  No tankers or boats were around while I was there, so I didn’t get to watch the locks in motion.  I’ve been here before when they were in operation, and I always find it interesting.

IMG_3292

Here’s the actual dam that helps maintain that 9’ deep water level.  If you look closely just to the right of center there is a purple martin house in the shape of the Army Corps of Engineers symbol.  I thought that was kind of neat.  The martins are all done nesting for this year, but I imagine there’ll be a full house next spring.

IMG_3298 IMG_3297

There’s a nice park at lock and dam #7, and you can get a little feel for the marvelous bluff country on Minnesota’s border along the Mississippi.  Before I-90 was completed, I used to drive US 14 along the river to Rochester with some grand views where you could stop to admire.  Since it was already after 4:00, I decided to make time and stay on the interstate for the final 75 miles or so to my destination.

By the time I got to the motel in Kasson, it was almost six.  I had made reservations for three nights, and ended up with a handicapped room.  Apparently there are quite a few construction workers staying here.  As it turns out, I think I’m going to like the handicapped room.  There is a shower instead of having to climb in and out of a slippery tub to shower, and the clothes racks and hooks are lower down.  Much more comfortable for a vertically challenged individual.  Smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

16 comments:

  1. Dam!!..that was a great post!..nice pictures today Judy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Dang...420 miles in one day, wow that's a lot of driving in a big rig. Sounds like a rest dsay is due up Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bird house is really cool, somebody is very creative and has a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a LOT of miles to cover in a day, Judy. The skies looked gorgeous at least. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this was baseball that would be a quadruple play:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Mississippi looks wide there too! And the locks are the same as in Iowa. Wonder if they are the same all the way along?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's 240 miles more than you like to drive...what happened? What a great view from the rest area. I don't think I've ever seen one quite that nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, in a car it is not an extreme;y long drive. We do more than that going to San Diego. In an RV yes, to far. Glad your are tucked in and able to relax after the necessary medical tests. Hope all reports are good!

    A squish in time saved mine. (From a BC survivor.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures. Even after living right beside it, I still think the Mississippi is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find the one advantage of a long day's drive is that it wears me out to the point where I tend to sleep a lot better at night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a long driving day! The lock and dams are always fascinating. We've watched them several times on the Mississippi further south on the Iowa-Illinoise border. I can really understand the vertically challenged part - who knew we actually need a handicap room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A long day of driving....We stay at an Army Corps park in Thomson IL on the Mississippi River...Lock and Dam 13...Potter's Marsh...I love the Army Corps parks..there is always a river, creek or lake involved....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've also learned to like handicapped hotel rooms. They tend to have hand held showers as well which makes rinsing easier, too. But, sometimes the sink is so low yet deep it's hard to reach the faucets without giving myself a backache. All of life is one tradeoff or another but we'd not give it up, would we?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am at the library with wifi. (man, I hate dial-up) Now I can respond to your blog. I read your antics daily, most of the time the pictures load up so slow, I'd be dead before they all loaded. I cannot comment easily either. The leaves in the Nort are just starting to turn on a few trees, as soon as they're gone, I'll be able to connect to internet again. Happy journey this fall. You and Emma make such a great team.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that was a long drive! and since practically everyone else used the word dam, I won't...

    ReplyDelete