.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

No luck this morning

Well, Village Motors came back this morning to hopefully fix the brake problem, but as it turned out the things we tried had no effect on the problem.  It became obvious to me that they really don’t work on motorhomes, and especially not the Workhorse chassis.  To their credit, they didn’t charge me anything even though they put in about four hours trying to fix things.  What to do next?

For this challenge, I hauled out my rocker and sat outside for a moment to think things through.  It sure would have been nice to have a second person to discuss things with, but that’s not the way it is.  I got out my card for the extended warranty policy I have and tried calling them.  Turns out you have to have the rig into a repair facility to give an estimate for the fix, and then ask permission to have it done.  That, I couldn’t do.  I then noticed a road side assistance number on the card.  I hadn’t realized I had this coverage with the warranty.  I tried to explain the situation to them, and they said they’d have a tech call me back for suggestions.  I can tell you that I was reluctant to hang up, but they assured me they wouldn’t leave me hanging.

About ten minutes later, the tech called with suggestions of things like checking the fuses and the brake fluid level.  I interrupted him  to let him know that all that had been done by the mechanic from Village Motors.  He then said he would look up the nearest Workhorse repair facility and call me back.  And call back he did.  He said I would be towed to Brown and Brown RV in Bourbonnais, IL, for repairs.  Ha! That’s where I had the awning and basement door repairs done last month.  He also said they couldn’t work on it until tomorrow.  That’s when I asked if they were towing it today or tomorrow.  They were going to tow it today, but he said he would call to see if I could stay in the campground tonight with full hookups, and get towed tomorrow. 

When he called me back again, here’s what he said, “You must be some kind of celebrity!”  They remembered me, and will be here first thing tomorrow for the towing, and told him they’d take me in immediately to work on the brakes.  I guess Emma and I sitting outside the place in the heat of summer made an impression on them.  I was happy with their work then, and they know I live in the rig fulltime, so I’m relieved that’s where we’re going.  All this is probably TMI for some folks, but maybe it will help someone to know how these problems evolve.

_MG_3364 _MG_3373

As Emma and I sat outside this afternoon, I watched this wasp carry what I think may be a pupa across my campsite, and then back again.  I don’t know what it was doing, but it covered more than 100’ carrying it’s burden back and forth and up and down a tree.  Crazy!  It was definitely too heavy for it to fly with it.

So I’ll be packing up once more tomorrow morning in preparation for the tow.  I broke down all the branches of a dead tree that I could reach trying to avoid pin striping on the rig on the route I think they’ll pull my home out.  More tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

30 comments:

  1. Glad things are looking up! I've had moments like that..."Wish Rich was here...he'd know what to do." Glad things are working out, Judy.

    This time, sit INSIDE with Emma! Let us know when you're all fixed up and ready to roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it all works out well for you. It's such a terrible feeling when you're stranded like that. I remember it well. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do hope that all goes good for you and they get you fixed up really fast!
    Here is a {{{HUG}}} for you
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! What a day and evolving of events. Glad you have a good game plan and going where the folks know you and that you're a full-timer. Hope the fix is easy and inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it is going to happen. We have Coach net and have been very happy with the response from them the few times we have had to call. They indeed always call back and then make the repair happen. Last go around on renewal, we upgraded to their top tier service plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Judy. You seem so calm about it all. I'd be a basket case if I was by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just now read about your troubles. Hopefully things will work out as planned and you will be back on the road soon. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your luck changed in a good direction!
    Hope that continues on the morning. And yes, it does help to hear how others weather these troubles on the road.
    BTW, loved the T shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you're going someplace where you know what kind of work they do. That would be a good thing. But it's not fun having your home towed away. Hope your weather has cooled down a little bit. Good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you and Emma got it all figured out. Hope it doesn't take to long and you can get back on track soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good luck with the repair!!..your warranty guys sounds like he is on the 'ball'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AAhhh, Judy these little breakdowns and resulting decisions are the pitts!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck tomorrow. I hope the tow goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really deserve a break, and I hope the tow goes early and well, and the fix does the same.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope tomorrow goes as planned and that you can get fixed up quickly once you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree that sitting and calming down and thinking things through helps in making decisions. Hope they get things fixed fast for you, so you can get on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ye, it is interesting to see how to handle such a problem. I hope we don't have too many, but if we do I will remember your calm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like you have a great attitude and are handling everything just fine. As far as having someone to talk to, that's what we're all here for!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have heard good things about Coachnet. We have that but have never used it....yet. Our coach is a Workhorse Chassis as well and we had to take it in a for a brake recall last summer. Wonder if that recall could have something to do with your problem. Nice feeling for you to know your dilemma has been organized and help is at hand. Also a comfortable feeling to know the familiar repair facility for which you are headed:))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad they sent you to someone you know. Hopefully they will have you up and running in short order.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I missed a day and had to go back and see what happened. Glad you were able to get something worked out. How frustrating. Hope it gets fixed fast.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with the tow and hope it's a simple, quick brake fix.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Now we can say we know a celebrity!!!

    So sorry to hear about your "brake"down. We sure understand the value of having someone you know work on your rolling home. Hope the tow goes smoothly and you're back on the road in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good thing you're independent and persistent!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You can call me when you just need to hear yourself think out loud. I probably can't be much more help than that but I can listen and sometimes that's all we need.

    ReplyDelete
  26. HUGS to you - not much more I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope everything is under control by now. We have Good Sam's extended warranty and they have never let us down. Used them for years. Good Luck. Hope to hear some good news soon,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wish you the best. Looks like you're on the right track for getting the repair done without too much more inconvenience. Good for you for your persistence and problem-solving!

    ReplyDelete
  29. HANG IN THERE, GIRLFRIEND..AND KEEP US INFORMED OF THE PROGRESS....AT LEAST YOU KNOW THE PEEPS WHO WILL WORK ON IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. that sounds like good news... you have a good idea of what to expect with those guys at least and I'm sure they will take great care of you and Emma!!!

    now that wasp and whatever he was up to... that was TMI ...

    ReplyDelete