.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, September 1, 2011

One last summer heat wave?

Upper 90’s for today and tomorrow.  Ugh!  It’s been a pretty sluggish week for me.  Nothing planned, and today I spent just about all day inside with the AC.  I’ve recuperated from my minor physical ailment of  earlier in the week, but just haven’t been inspired to do much of anything.  I guess I’m just marking time until I can hit the road again, and will stay pretty hunkered down for the holiday weekend. 

IMG_0068

I decided to include a few pics from the past to help me stay cool tonight.  This is Mt. Rainier in Washington.(2006)

I have been accomplishing a few things on the computer and on the phone.  Couldn’t get an eye doctor appointment in MN for my brief stay there.  The doctor isn’t in on the day I have available.  That didn’t surprise me, but I thought I’d check anyway.  I’ll find a place in Texas to get that chore done.

IMG_0208

After the storm on the Admiralty Inlet at Fort Flagler State Park, WA.  (2006)  What a view I had out my front windshield for a month.

I don’t often make campground reservations, but I did yesterday.  Once the business in MN is taken care of, I plan to mosey down to Rend Lake in southern Illinois.  I’ll be staying six nights at a Corps of Engineer (COE) campground.  I wanted to be sure I’d have a nice long site to back into, and the lake will be right behind the rig.  The cost for six nights with 50 amps is $48.  Figured it was time to once again take advantage of my old fart pass.  SmileWhile I’m there, I want to spend some time exploring Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge that is about 30 miles away.

IMG_6252

                                                         Rocky Mountain National Park. (2010)

I’m also somewhat of a sucker for those biggest ______ things.  I saw the world’s biggest sausage in Canada on my way to Alaska, and have found several more of these oddities in my travels.  There appears to be a couple more of these world’s biggest items in the area surrounding Rend Lake.  They just kind of make me chuckle.

IMG_6282

                                                     Rocky Mountain National Park. (2010)

I’ve kind of rambled on tonight, but as I said at the beginning, it’s been a rather uneventful week so far.  Maybe I could get excited about getting my hair cut tomorrow?

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

23 comments:

  1. Maybe I should send you more pictures of my ice maker to keep you cool.

    The price at the COE is amazing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old fart pass...I love it!! I have one, too, if it's the Senior Pass for Federal parks, etc. I haven't used it yet but that time is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE HAVE STAYED AT REND LAKE MANY TIMES...BIG SITES...VERY RELAXING..CAN GET WINDY...VERY CHEAP....WE LIKE IT VERY MUCH...THERE IS A GOLF COURSE YOU DRIVE THROUGH TO GET TO THE CAMPGROUND...IT MAY BE HOT...BUT YOU CAN RELAX...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too are experiencing one more heat wave, but next week promises to be cooler. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved seeing the old photos, Judy, the last one is especially lovely. We love COE campgrounds, both for the senior pass discount and they are usually on some kind of water and are often quite roomy. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck with the hair cut!..the Rocky Mountain pictures are lovely..thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool pictures:) If I have to be old, I want the discount!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the world's biggest rocking chair! on Route 66 in Missouri.. it was sooo cool, huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos. The COE campground sounds really nice, and the price is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love COE campgrounds. They are always so beautiful. Maybe our cold front will move your way. Only in the 70's today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The senior passes and discounts make getting older a bit more tolerable. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Personally, I'm still at the stage where I get offended when offered a Senior discount because usually I don't qualify!!!

    nanee nanee naaaanneeee!!!!

    OH, I did like your pictures tonight, btw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really nice photos...it's always nice to go back and remember. Don't believe I have ever stayed at a COE campground. I had it is mind that they were more primitive without any hook-ups. Guess I better check out what is available here in the west. Thanks for mentioning that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just love the big cat - such a kitty cat. And as for the Rocky Mountain National Park, it practically rivals La Palma!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never been to Rocky Mountain National Park, but now we need to go there. Your pictures made it so! And the lion? Oh my, what a regal pose for the King!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gee, if I were getting my hair cut tomorrow I sure would be excited! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great blog! I need to visit more often.
    We have the high 80's here in Florida. Stay happy and keep well!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was reminded today by the volunteer at HSNP that the COE old fart rate is a great deal. Unfortunately, not yet for us... but I think it is great for you old farts. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I particularly liked that last Rocky Mountain National Park shot:))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved all the photos today. You have visited many beautiful places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Howdy Judy & Emma,

    Thanx, for the great pics, just like Al's.. Rend sounds like a really nice campground.. We live across the hiway from Hords creek COE park in TX.. It's a really nice, clean park on Texas
    153, 9 miles W of Coleman.. Between Sweetwater &
    Coleman..
    COEs are really nice and cheap.. If far enuff from a city they are quiet too, also.. Usually have good fishing.. There is another 'WORLD'S
    LARGEST ROCKING CHAIR' on US 281, just S of I-20
    near Stephenville, TX

    Smooth roads & balmy breezes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We will be heading south towards Illinois. Hopefully, our paths will cross at Rend Lake. We'll keep checking in with you to see as we get closer. It sure would be good to chat with ya.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete