.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Encountered another character today

A number of commenters to my recent posts have expressed that they would be very upset with the service I have received here, and would be throwing a fit to speed things up.  Well, to begin with, I am basically a non-confrontational person, and have found that best for my well being and blood pressure.  Secondly, I really don’t think I’ve been treated poorly here.  I have a different opinion of my stay at Brown and Brown in Illinois.  Here at Austgen, they have upgraded their diagnostic system (at their cost) in order to solve my problem.  Yes, there have been screw ups by the shipping company, but I think that was out of their control.  Once the system arrived, they immediately began working on the rig.   The extended warranty people then put a halt on progress until their inspection this afternoon. 

When I expressed my concerns about using a forklift to get the tanks drained this afternoon, they did it without the forklift.  The entire shop went into motion to assure a favorable outcome.  I won’t go into those details.  Now it is a matter of waiting for the extended warranty decision.  Am I looking through rose colored glasses at this experience?  Perhaps, but I’m a pretty down to earth person, and though it has been frustrating being stuck in this parking lot, I recall what the manager told me the first day, “We will not allow you to be hauled out of here by a wrecker, you will leave under your own steam and safely head to Texas!”  Enough said about that.

There was a knock at my door this evening around 5:30.  (the shop closes at 3:30 and most everyone is gone by 4:00)  There was a man at the door asking if I knew any way to contact the business. 

IMG_3484

He had arrived in this vehicle, and I thought he was an exterminator.  Not so.  He was supposed to start work here today, and had gone off the road and gotten stuck on his way here.  It turned out that he had all of his mechanic tools in the back of this truck, and was hoping to drop them off.  He has been out of work for four months and really needed this job.  He didn’t have a cell phone, and asked if I could call the owner to explain his predicament. 

He had borrowed the truck from some union to haul his tools.  Apparently, besides his tools, there was a big inflatable rat in the back that is used along picket lines.

IMG_3485

He told me unions were very big in this area.  I had noticed this bumper sticker on an electrical post where I take Emma for walks.  I also heard way more information about his life than I needed to know.  We were able to contact an owner, and he will try again for the job tomorrow.  There was another guy that wanted to talk to me in the pouring rain this afternoon about my being from South Dakota while the warranty inspector guy was here.  How is it I meet these unusual people?  Egad!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

22 comments:

  1. Good for you. There was no sense in blowing a gasket at them, they were doing everything that was under their control.

    Happy Tails, and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. ense in getting riled about something no one had much control over. I agree with your approach to the situation. Hang tight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a lot like you. As long as someone is doing all they can to help and fix a situation, I will support them. No one knows more than you what all they have done to accommodate you. There are just some things that happen that nobody can control. I think you have done well and handled the circumstances in stride. Things will get resolved and you will go forward!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are being a good customer. That is an art. One of the fallacies of customer service is that the customer is always right. Those that "get in the the face" always go to the back of the line. I worked in customer service and put those kind at the back of the line every time. Doubt if they ever knew it. I was in Chicago O'hare one Christmas time when some pompous dude let loose on the service agent. In mere moments a supervisor type led this guy away. I'll bet money I got home before he did that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Calm persistance. I have a feeling you are very good at getting along with people thru these problems. I sense that although this has been frustrating, by the time you leave everyone will think highly of you as a reasonable, but intelligent person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my biggest gripe would be with the manufacturer of the motor home. With all the folks who have problems with brakes, or jacks, or whatever, there is something wrong with the whole manufacturing process. It would be rare to buy a Ford, or a Honda, or a Lexus, and have so many components not work properly, and then be told by the mfr that you have to take it up with the other company. I will normally avoid confrontation like the plague, but I get to a certain point and then can't take any more. I agree that the repair svc you are using is doing their best against a lot of odds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there Miss Judy. The bridge will be down soon so you can head south.
    Need any more help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just sitting here wondering what an employer would think if a new guy shows up for work in a huge Union Local 150 truck emblazoned with Rat Patrol? Do you think it just might give the company pause?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on this. We had a three week problem and all I could do was keep complete notes, but as they were doing what they could, there was no reason for us to be mad at them. Finally, when they hit a snag that we felt was their fault, my copious notes helped to speed things along. There is no reason to upset yourself any more than necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are like me, I'm a magnet for freaks...

    Glad all things are moving forward. You've done well getting through all this "fun". Better days are almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thing I can say about you Judy, your life is never boring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes blowing your lid can come back to bite you, so it's smart to stay calm and collected while quietly being persistent. I didn't know it was so cool to be "from" South Dakota. Who knew that it would be such a conversation piece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always nice to know there are other non confrontational people out here who understand the 'in your face' tactics are quite often not the way to get things done. Having been in the retail business back in the 80's for a short while, I fully understand this..........

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly do meet some very interesting people! I love your attitude about staying calm and taking your situation in stride. I bet your body thanks you for such a healthy attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just look friendly:). You are right not to get all worked up. It does not resolve the situation any faster and it just makes you upset. "Rat Patrol"- pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unions are very open with loaning equipment aren't they. I've had my fill of the local Unions here in Chicago. I had to plug in a server when I worked for Ameritech, had my guys in Chicago plug in the ac power cord, the Union found out and went over and cut the power cord because what I didn't know is we had to call them to come all the way to our server room to plug in ANYTHING.

    Ridiculous, plus it requires TWO MEN to do it so they charge you $100.00 to show up and then the rate for two men for 2 hours, my blood was boiling that day.

    If a non Union company is used anywhere in Chicago they bring out the Rat patrol to picket that company. The Union has made me somebody who will never work for one, ever.

    Anyway enough about my Union opinion, you have the patients of a Saint and your blood pressure thanks you I'm sure!

    I hope they get the situation resolved, the way you're handling this you deserve the very best service they can provide.

    Good luck!

    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'am like you life is to short. Were not here for a long time were just here for a good time.

    Hang in there..

    ReplyDelete
  18. You meet these interesting people because you are a listener, and because you are stuck in one place for a while! Good for you for keeping your cool. We also are basically non-confrontational, catching more flies with honey than with vinegar. However, when it comes time for confrontation, no one can handle that better than my Suzy. And she does it so nicely, gently but firmly, that she almost always gets what she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The world would be a less interesting place place without the real characters. I am always glad to meet them as long as they are not armed:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I already knew that about you... it shows in your writing in your blog! And all kidding aside, many have said you should write a book and I think it probably would sell! You would only need a publisher.

    Poor kid... I hope he gets a job! My photographer son has two interviews tomorrow! That union stuff is terrible... one of our friends was a truck driver in IL and they used to chase his truck and his bosses trucks to intimidate them and finally forced them to join the union... BS!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think when you adapt to the RVing life, there's no reason to get upset. Things go wrong with moving "houses" - it comes with the territory--what a great territory, huh?

    I just had the REAL rat patrol here, yesterday. When I was away for a couple of weeks a few years ago, I came home to find that a whole neighborhood had moved into my basement. It cost me a couple of thousand dollars to seal the roof and basement last year, and I only found out I had them when they chewed something on my dishwasher and I had a flood. I called a repairman and he said, "Lady, you have rats." I almost died, but he said this county is over run with them and probably because the house had been quiet, they came in to look for water. Well, they found it. Any of you living in stix and brix, don't tell your insurance company that damage is caused by rodents--they don't pay for rodent damage. Expensive lesson. Ever happens, again, whatever--it just exploded.

    I saw some droppings, yesterday, and called right away. They had found a new way in--though we think it's probably only one. So they sealed that area, again. Crossing my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How do you get the guys like those??? You're a gutsy, friendly, knowledgeable, WOMAN full-timer...You are like fly paper, Judy,...and you will continue to draw them..:-))

    ReplyDelete