.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, September 8, 2011

I can officially drive again

Today was the day to make the return trip to Sioux Falls, SD, to get my new driver’s license.  If you remember, I tried to do that last month, but had not brought the proper paperwork with me.  That was my error.  This morning I checked three times to be sure I had my Passport and Social Security Card safely in a folder in the car before setting off.  It was a day that entailed a round trip drive of 480 miles.  Thank goodness I only have one more 400+ mile day to go.  It was also a day where I gathered at least 480 dead bugs on my windshield and front of the car.

The drive there was uneventful, and I arrived at noon at the DMV office.  The same cranky lady was in charge of the check-in station.  She insisted on seeing all of my documentation before allowing me to fill out another of the same forms in order to get a number in line.  Then she dropped the bomb, “Where’s your evidence of mail with your name and address on it?”  What?!?  I assured her (three times in a row) that the examiner had told me last month that all I needed was my passport and SS card.  Finally, she grudgingly gave me the form to fill out and I was given a number and a waiting seat.  After waiting another hour and a half, my number was called, and it took all of five minutes for me to walk out with my new license.  It’s a good thing, because I think I would have had a coronary if they came up with something else that I suddenly needed!  

By this time, it was close to 2:00, and I still had to drive back to Kasson in time to take my son, Andy, and his family out to dinner before his wife, Kelly, and second son, Seth, had to leave for a meet the teacher meeting for his pre-school.  His oldest son, Joseph, had his first day of kindergarten today, so I wanted to talk to him about his exciting day.  I blasted back onto I-90 and headed east.  I made it in time, and enjoyed my brief visit.  Joey said today was the funnest day of his life, and Seth wanted to know when he could visit me in my camper.  Littlest Ruby babbled away at me in her as yet incomprehensible gibberish.  Grandkids are the bomb!

On my drive back to Kasson, I did stop for a few minutes in Blue Earth, MN, to visit the Jolly Green Giant.

IMG_3343As I pulled into the almost empty parking lot, another couple was about to leave.  When they saw me walk toward the giant, they returned and asked if I would like them to take a picture of me with him.  I said sure, and showed them how to use my camera.

IMG_3337

This is the picture they took.  While I was standing there, I took a brief glance up for a peek under the jolly fellow’s leaves.  (I know, shame on me)  Well, I’m here to report that the Jolly Green Giant apparently has ‘cajonnes’ the size of little green peas.

IMG_3339                                         HO, HO, HO!  I’m surprised he has such a low voice!  Surprised smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

26 comments:

  1. Now that's a place I want to see!

    Why does Folgers grow coffee on the mountain?

    Because the Jolly Green Giant peas in the valley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a kick. You made me smile, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, you are on a roll. First the corn tower and now a green giant. My list is getting bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, and very cute! I've got to do the South Dakota thing next year. It's gonna take me that long to get all my paperwork together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a HOOT!!! I agree, Grandkids are the bomb! So, you have to produce the paperwork EVERY time you get your license renewed in SD? We just did that for the first time last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe it was so easy getting my license at Sioux Falls the first time in Feb. 2009. I hope the cranky old lady retires before I have to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that cranky old lady doesn't decide to maka a lateral employment move and become a border guard in a little booth at Port Huron Michigan any time soon. At least not until after we get across the border next month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Green Giant. Seems like the "cranky lady" always works at the DMV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you got your drivers license. When we got our Florida drivers licenses again, I had to show my Ga Drivers license, ss card, birth certificate and marriage license...plus 2 documents showing my new Florida mailing address. We were in their system from the 30 years we had lived in Florida, but they still insisted on all that stuff. Then they almost didn't give us the licenses because our mailing service had a box number! I guess we can thank the terrorists for that.

    When I saw you standing under the giant, the first thing I thought, is what is up there. Glad you answered my question!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in Austria, I was amazed to find out that the driver's license I had to get NEVER EXPIRES! Can you imagine? Not sure what happens when we move back to Canada. I guess I'll find out it I can keep it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you stopped by to see the Giant. You can park your motorhome free next door at the fairgrounds for one day and then $5 per day after that. Something to keep in mind for the future. I was totally surprised that you didn't have to show a receipt of a SD address (campground or motel) for one night. We had to do that two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Glad everything finally worked out. Nothing like bureaucracy to ruin a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The DMV people must love watching people jump through hoops! So glad you won!

    Thanks for the morning funnies! I wondered, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're hilarious Judy ... and have no shame :-)))) Now the Green Giant jingle is going to go around my head ... again ... and again ... all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tsk tsk Judy!

    We got our licenses in Mitchell last year. Quick and easy EXCEPT I wonder if they really know what they are doing.

    Got my license with no problem - the address is our mail forwarding service. However, hubby has a CDL. They said they didn't THINK we could use the mail forwarding address because it needs to be a physical address. IT IS - it is at a house and clearly has the street address on it.

    They attempted to call other offices for clarification and could not get an answer. Therefore his license is that of the motel we stayed at the night before. Now just tell me, does that make sense? When we go back to renew, we hope to get it changed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember that cranky lady very well from last year when we were there. But the guy at the window took one look at our paperwork, said "you must be full timers" and it took us about five minutes and we were out of there. But we did need our campground receipt with the address on it. Glad you were able to get by without that one.

    I am sooo glad you checked the Giant out for us. It's always those kinds of burning questions that need to be answered for inquiring minds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you finally got your liscense.... You are soooo funny. I want to visit there too ~ Have put it on my places to visit list! I think I have seen a lot and my friends keep comming up with more stuff for me to visit!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now, that is kin to wondering what a Scotsman has under his kilt!!

    So glad you didn't have to return with more paperwork. That would have been terrible.

    Happy Tails, and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have totally looked to see if he was anatomically correct. HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  20. Watch out for a stye on your eyelid, Judy! Yeah, that's what our culture says one would get when one does a no-no peeping!

    ReplyDelete
  21. O...M...G...

    I wish you were my Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too would have checked him out. Glad that you are legal again. How often do you have to go back to SD? I haven't made up my mind where to have my permanent residence yet.

    ReplyDelete