.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Playing the waiting game

After six days of not much progress on resolving my brake problems, I was getting a bit of cabin fever.  So, I sent an email off to JIM and Linda last night to see if they were up for a visitor today.  Last Monday, I was supposed to drive the rig to the campground they’re in for an overnight stay while heading south.  That obviously didn’t happen, and they’re pulling out on their winter journey tomorrow morning.  They said, “Come on down!”, so I did.  It was about a 67 mile drive to Rantoul, but at least it got me out of the parking lot. 

These folks have been fulltimers for more than ten years, and I’ve enjoyed previous visits with them.  If you remember, Linda and I have the same birthday, and we met for dinner in Sioux Falls in July while we were both there to get our driver’s licenses renewed.  As many of you know, meeting up with other RV bloggers is like just continuing an ongoing conversation.  I appreciated their willingness to let me vent about my frustrations this past week.  After a while, we headed out to Pizza Hut for lunch and more conversation, and then I was on my way back to the rig.  I’m sure they had plenty to do to get ready to hit the road tomorrow.  Wish I could say the same.  Shifty

Since I had time on my hands yesterday, I decided to check out the new blogger interface.  I’ve read mixed reviews on it from other bloggers.  Well, I gave it a try.  Everything is there from the old interface, just in a different location.  After tinkering with it for a bit, I’ve decided to stay with the new, and forget about the old.  I actually like the new list of latest posts that I read.  I think it gives a better preview of each post.  I really don’t think it’s much of a learning curve to switch. 

I do have a question for you techies out there though.  Why is it that I have the most bars on my air card than anywhere I’ve ever been, but it’s like a snail’s pace to open anything compared to when I’m out in the boonies with only one or two bars?  Uploading my posts with any pictures in them is hit or miss also with the full bars.  I don’t get it.  I thought having full bars would mean things would work faster. 

I’m sure glad I made the trip down to Rantoul today, as the rain has been almost constant, and we’re pretty much stuck inside.  I looked up where they are towing me to tomorrow, and it is not very far from Robyn’s house.  Go figure.  At least I should be able to get some laundry done there.  Smile  I haven’t told any of these facilities that I have a daughter in the area since I don’t want them to think I can wait around forever.  I’ve got my fingers crossed for positive results tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

25 comments:

  1. Judy, so sorry you still stuck, but just think...you COULD be stuck in a stick and brick! I'm dying to get out of here. Glad you got to visit with Jim and Linda.

    Keep us posted about your dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea about not telling,hope things get better this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree -- I thot the more bars you had the better & faster it would run, but what do I know??!! We have to take our MH in tomorrow -- we blew a second hydraulic hose. We're praying it won't take long to fix! Hope you get some good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a chance to get away from the rig for a little while. The frustration would be making me break out in hives about now. Good luck tomorrow. Lots of fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get away. As for the bars, we have Verizon MiFi and for the most part we get great service. A few weeks ago we noticed we had all bars and our MiFi worked great but we lost ALL calls on our phones. Then the next campground we had only 2 bars but great phone and MiFi service. Not sure how that all works, but check to see if you are on "Extended Network", we notice when our phones show that, then it might be a tad slower.

    Hope you get your rig back in order tomorrow...keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to know the answer to that "bars vs. service" question, too! Where we are now, we have full bars, and usually good MiFi service - but once or twice a day it slows to a crawl so painful we both log off in frustration! I just don't understand cell service. :(

    Your brake problems are such a drag! You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just hope the can get those breaks fixed and in safe conditions for you.

    Happy laundry day... Is the pool still open?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right - almost nothing beats catching up with RVing friends and fellow bloggers. We've met so many nice people "on the road" that I've talked to on blogs. Right now we are visiting with another fine couple Betty (Texas Yellow Rose) and Dave.

    Trusting all works out for you sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the new Blogger interface, too. It didn't take me long to appreciate the longer previews.

    I really hope they get those brakes done soon so you can get back to the business at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh heh we are never in an area of a lot of bars... just one or two so that is all we ever get and ever use.

    I think if we were ever in a 3G area, it would be faster, right?

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't be afraid to keep the pressure on those RV guys. If all else fail, tears are a nice touch, lay the guilt on them. (Insert evil grin here)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How frustrating this must be for you. Sitting in a place because you want to is one thing, but being forced to stay is a whole different ball game. I sure hope the folks you're getting towed to can get you fixed and back on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy-- check the indicator icon next to the "bars"-- chances are if you're seeing 4 bars and slow data, you're on an older/slower connection (Verizon will show this as "1X" and ATT as "E"), whereas if you're only seeing 2 bars but speeds are faster, you're likely on the faster 3G network (Verizon will show as "EV" or EVDO, and ATT as "3G"). The more bars you have, the stronger the signal and less likely it is to drop/resend data packets. But a faster 3G network dropping a few more packets, can still be faster than the older network that has a stronger signal simply because the newer network is really that much faster. While I've not tried the newest 4G networks yet, I hear they make the 3G networks we're used to today seem similarly like snails pace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you had a great diversion today. Seeing blogging friends is very neat...it is like picking up on conversation as though you have been there a long time.
    Our best of wishes and luck for the brake fix Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. About the cell phone service, I was going to suggest that it might be the difference between 1X and 3G service...not necessarily, though. We always have very slow internet when we're on 1X, but sometimes it's slow using 3G, too. It's almost like too many people are using it at the same time, like with WIFI, but that shouldn't happen using a cell phone, right?

    Good luck with your brakes tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Five bars probably indicates you are 'close' to the wireless network or do not have any real interference.

    The actual speed though would depend on what type of equipment the wireless network is actually using. It could be older, slower routers, switches etc.

    2 bars on a high speed network will give you better performance than 5 on a network using junky equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't need anymore than 2 bars, more than that and I am way too late in getting home .Oh not that kind of bars, Never Mind...Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to hear you got a break from your brakes:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hoping you get the brakes fixed quickly. I know it's hard to sit and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good idea to not mention your daughter lives nearby. Hope all goes well this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You should write a book, you have plenty of material. Good luck and keep us informed,please.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  22. May those RV people get the problem worked out FAST this time! Who'd a thunk it be back near Robyn?! Have fun getting the wash done "cheap", maybe you'll see more of those darling grand kids!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's hard to find bars when you're in a dry county...OOPS, I thought meant BARS!! We take or Hughes net satellite with us and so far have had no trouble getting a signal in the South skies..McGuyver has gotten pretty good at finding the right satellite. Between our TV satellite dish and our internet satellite dish set up at our campsite, we look like we are receiving signals from Mars...Hope you get those darn brakes fixed and get "on the road again"..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Doesn't connection speed have something to do with how many other people are trying to get into the pool with you? Too many people means no one can swim fast.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It could be many things... some times they slow it down when there is too much traffisc or it could be the difference of edge (slow) 3G (better) & 4G (Fast). Hope you get your brakes done fast and I agree don't tell them about Robyn's house!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete