.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The AJ-Belt and Buckle Wildlife Refuge

About the only thing I collect in this fulltime lifestyle is tee shirts from places I’ve visited or volunteered.  That habit is how I ended up with my memory quilt.  Several weeks ago, I mentioned to Robyn that this is the first time I’ve stayed in a place so long, and never bought a tee shirt.  I had thought about buying one at Brookfield Zoo the second time we were there, but just couldn’t talk myself into doing that.  I know zoos serve their purpose for educating young ones and providing research, but I just feel sorry for the caged animals.  If it weren’t for the grandgirls, I never would have gone there.

Since I’m pulling out tomorrow, I made a final trip for this summer to visit Robyn and her family.  She was making NY BBQ chicken, and I couldn’t pass that up.  None of that red BBQ sauce for me; I love the NY style.

I was in for a surprise when I got there.

IMG_3345 Robyn, Avery (AJ), and Phoebe (Buckle), had made a tee shirt for me (Belt) to remember the summer.

IMG_3347

It aptly had the name of the AJ-Belt and Buckle Wildlife Refuge.  What a hoot!  Front and back of the tee shirt depicted the stages of a monarch butterfly that I had introduced the grandgirls to.  But, it was more than that.

IMG_3351

Each butterfly was made with the hand prints of the grandgirls…Avery on top, and Phoebe the bottom wings.

IMG_3349 IMG_3348

AJ’s foot made the chrysalis, and Buckle’s foot made the newly emerged butterfly.  I can just imagine the chaos there was with the girls having that paint all over their hands and feet!  Rolling on the floor laughing

IMG_3350The caterpillars going into the J formation before changing to a chrysalis were made with the side of their little clenched hands.  I don’t know how Robyn ever came up with this idea.  She is one special, talented, daughter!  What a keepsake I have from this summer.  It’s my favorite tee shirt ever, and I will wear it proudly.

The girls even had two gifts for ‘Emma the Gog.’  Two toys for her to play with: a skunk and a fox, those dog toys with no stuffing.  Emma loves them, and pranced around giving them each a good shake.  The girls have grown to love Emma, and Emma has learned to be less rambunctious with the little ones.  Overall, it’s been a marvelous summer.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

34 comments:

  1. I'm sure you know how much you are blessed by family....a great tribute to you, Judy...Be safe..and I hope we can meet you along the way sometime....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Tee is beyond special. What a wonderful, creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, what a lovely keepsake. You certainly do have a talented and imaginative daughter. I'm surprised her house doesn't have paint all over it from little hands and feet. Something to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gift made my eyes teary. Isn't it great to be so loved?? What a special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that t-shirt is really special!! Some people are just really talented, to be able to think of that & how to do it! What a memory...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got teary eyed also...what a wonderfully creative and love filled gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You couldn't buy a tee-shirt like that at the zoo, or anywhere. Good job, Robyn. Lucky you, Judy Belt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gift of love -- very creative. I can see it as the center of your next quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, wonderful! What a talented daughter you have. Not only is it a fun tee shirt, but she was able to get the gils involved in it and they are so small!

    I just finished watching project runway .. a "reality" fashion designer elimination show, and Robyn's tee shirt is the best garment I have seen tonight!

    Tell her how much all of your blogger friends loved it.

    Travel safe on your next drive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That shirt is darling. I love imagining the little girls' excitement making this for you.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will certainly be your most cherished t-shirt ever! What a beautiful and creative gift to remember your summer with the girls.

    Safe travels tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The t-shirt is so special and was made with so much love.

    I feel the exact same way about zoos, and don't know if I could ever go back into one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My... I can just about imagine how very special that tee shirt is to you and how proud you are going to be every time you wear it and are asked about it and get to explain it!!

    As I'm sitting here in WY counting down to kisses and hugs in KS, it sure does make me want to wiggle my nose and get to my Grands that much faster...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you'll be proud to wear that special tee shirt. Made with so much love. Safe travels.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful gift. I have to admmit, it made me tear up a bit too. It was the perfect way to remember your summer with the girls and I'm sure they had fun making it. Now aren't you glad you decided to summer there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure wish blogger had a way to correct your previous comment. I do know how to spell admit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very special Tee for Belt the Bird Lady of Blog Land. This special Tee needs to be the center block in your next quilt.

    Mac & Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  18. What treasure! Not just the shirt, but the family too.
    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  19. T-shirt $20 ~ Paint $10 ~ decorations PRICELESS! What a treasured gift! Just beautiful and it made me feel so emotional...
    Have fun
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is the coolest gift! She is amazingly creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful gift!!! Glad you took good photos of it, because I am sure with all the proud wearing you are going to do, it will be long gone years from now and you can have the photos to remember it by.

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. A perfect gift for a perfect 'belt'!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The best! You, your daughter, and your grands. Just the best! Thank you for sharing your family with us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a wonderful Tee Shirt. We saw two monarchs at Palo Duro. The migration should start soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are truly loved. What an amazing gift! Your daughter is certainly talented and creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great gift! I think I had a couple of those caterpillars in my MH.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That made tears come to my eyes, what a thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a bummer about the coach, I hope it's an easy fix.

    I've never seen a more clever, caring gift. Robyn sure is a special talented daughter! I'll bet they had a blast making your tee-shirt and thinking about how much you would enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a special daughter and grandbabies you have. Your t-shirt sounds precious. Sorry to hear about more mechanical troubles, but at least you are safe in the campground and not out on the road somewhere, like you said. Maybe the delay was meant to happen so that you would still be somewhere where we can catch up to you!!! Hugs. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome T-shirt from the girls! So much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a talented and thoughtful daughter and granddaughters you have! How very thoughtful - I know you will cherish it. Unfortunately it brought back memories of Margie and her grands - your grandchildren are lucky to have you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete