.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Three reasons I know it’s time to move on

I set my alarm for this morning so I’d be sure to be on time for my last day at work at the Pea Island VC.  I left a little before 8:00 to make the thirty mile drive.  On my way there I noticed that the  Hatteras National Seashore campgrounds are closed down for the season, and that you can no longer climb to the top of the Hatteras Lighthouse until next April.  That bummed several of the visitors out today when they learned that.  Many National Parks use seasonal staff, so when it’s time for them to leave many of the services get cut.

_MG_0804

Once I got everything set up for the day and opened the door, I was greeted by this group of North Carolina State Alumni… the ‘Wolfpack’.  They were here today to pick up orange vests and bags from me so that they could donate time cleaning up several miles of beach front on the refuge.  Our nation’s refuges always welcome volunteer groups to come in and help keep our refuges clean.  It’s just too bad that picking up other people’s trash is necessary.  They were out on the beach about three hours, and did a good job of filling up the dumpster located in the parking lot.

_MG_0806

Then as I was posting the low and high tide times on our weather board inside the VC, a woman asked if I was Judy.  It turned out to be Nancy Conrad and her husband, Joe.  She writes the Streamin’ with Joe and Buddy blog that I follow.  They are on a caravan tour with their Airstream group and staying down in Waves for a couple of nights.  They were on their way to spend the day touring Manteo, and I had suggested they stop by the VC on their way there so we could meet.  Nancy had emailed me the other day that they would be in the area.  Many of you know how enjoyable and fun it is to meet fellow RV bloggers.  They could only stay briefly, but they sure seem like a fun couple!  It took me a while when I initially started reading their blog to catch the connection between their blog name and the fact that they travel in an Airstream trailer.  Some times I’m not the brightest bulb in the bunch. Embarrassed smile

Now, on to three of the reasons I think it is time to move on down the road from this assignment.

1.  Last week I spoke to Tracy, the new volunteer coordinator, and told her not to put me on the work schedule for next week as I would be leaving on Monday or Tuesday.  Early this morning, I received an email of next week’s schedule, and it showed me working on Monday at the Pea Island VC.  I quickly sent off a response saying today would be my last day as I needed a couple of days to get ready to leave.  When you travel solo, you have to do both the pink and the blue jobs, and I like a little time to accomplish both.  Tonight I received another email with an apology, and I was taken off of the schedule. 

2.  As Emma and I were relaxing outside early this evening, I noticed that some grass/weed blades have started to grow through my indoor-outdoor carpeting.  Now if that isn’t a sign that I’ve been here long enough, I don’t know what is.

3.  Lastly, with the recent cold front moving through, I’ve trapped six mice in the basement storage area where the water hose comes into the rig.  An influx of rodents is really my #1 reason to hit the road!  Yes, I know all about putting steel wool around the area where the hose comes in.  My remedy this time is to just get out of Dodge.  Winking smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

27 comments:

  1. For me, reason #2 is good enough to head on down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your new assignment. You've really got to watch for little critters this time of year. They can be really aggrivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All 3 excellent reasons but especially #3! Great picture of you and the Conrads. I've sure enjoyed seeing the refuge through your eyes and am looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always refer to it as "the honeymoon period"... and would add a couple of other things to your list. Three months is the max for us... but I guess that depends on the rest of the list.... could be less time ;-) Really though, sounds like you've had a good enough time there.... hope your next "assignment" is a good one. Happy Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So where are you headed next, inquiring minds want to know... I totally don't know the area you are in so I enjoy your adventures and seeing them through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed this area through your blog. Wishing you an easy job of getting ready to move on out. Where are you taking 'us' next?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep - you don't want any grass growing under your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. #3 did it for me. I'd be outta there. Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice that you got to meet the Conrads in person. Looking forward to seeing where you blog from next.
    ~Betty from Milwaukie, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you...it is definitely time to get out of Dodge :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy, how many hours a day do you work? I would love to do what you are doing but with two Ig's I worry about them staying too long in the trailer. How long does Emma stay unattended? Both my dogs are okay when I leave them hoem but they have a doggie dog and access to the backyard. Just wondering?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you still using that handy mouse trap we sent??

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is exciting to venture on down the road to a new experience. What is up next? Maybe a THR?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the grass growing through the carpet is too funny, but I think getting out of Dodge due to clod weather is a better reason.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely time to move on to the next bit of paradise. You'll never get that mat up otherwise and you don't want a mobile caravan for the mice. Looking forward to the journey and the next landing place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All very good reasons to get outta Dodge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Safe travels. I so enjoy reading your blog, and thank you for sharing. It's my first read every morning. We'll miss seeing our "friend in common", Jack, this year in Texas as we're returning to the RGV and he's going to Florida, but will hopefully catch up with him on the road. If you're in northern AR or the RGV let us know. And again, safe travels and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been in Indy visiting my grands...Glad to get on the road with you and Emma...Al is ready to leave, and now you...I might be living vicariously through all of you this Winter..Plans are very fluid here..Safe travels, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Judy, I sure can relate to the pink and blue jobs! I am getting ready to haul outa here by Wed or latest Thurs. Seems a never-ending job to get ready to go, But I know it will be worth it when I finally hit the road!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WE have caught three mice so far in our trailer. It has been past time for us to move on but have one more day to work. Then we are outta here~!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How nice you could meet the Conrads. I hope I can meet them some day. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope none of those little critters hitches a ride with you to your next assignment. Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've only had one mouse in my rig, and that was when I was parked in some BLM land near Yuma. However, last month in Arizona near Show Low I was visiting some folks and apparently a pack rat chewed up my mat outside my door.

    Maybe I should trade my dog in for a cat. No, I could never do that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've become a great mouse trapper. Too bad you can't sell their pelts and make some gas money...

    Safe travels, we're looking forward to you next adventure. :c)

    ReplyDelete