.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

“A Man Named Pearl”

A couple of months ago while I was volunteering at Alligator River NWR, I ordered a documentary through my Netflix account entitled “A Man Named Pearl”.  It told the story of Pearl Fryar in South Carolina.  He had become internationally famous for his topiary garden.  Being within 30 miles of Pearl’s garden in Bishopville, SC, is the main reason I stopped at this campground in Florence for a few days.

_MG_1074

                  This morning I found the turnoff for Broad Acres Road, and began my adventure for the day. 

IMG_1030

Pearl’s garden is located on three acres that includes his house and surrounding land.  When he first moved here in 1980, he had to wait for the corn to be harvested before his house could begin to be built.  The entire area consisted of corn fields, so any trees or shrubs you see here have been planted by Pearl.

_MG_1056

At that time, the town of Bishopville’s Iris Garden Club had an award for the ‘Garden of the Month’.  Pearl was determined to win that award even though he was located about a mile outside the town boundaries.

_MG_1055

After a three minute lesson on topiary gardening at a nursery in 1983, Pearl began his work by first making plantings around his house.  Many of the shrubs and plants he started with were “throwaways” that Pearl rescued from compost piles at nurseries in the area.  By the way, he won the Garden of the Month award in 1985.

_MG_1047

Having never been here before, of course I began the self-guided tour where you are supposed to end up!  It really doesn’t matter where you begin, but if I had started at the other end I would have had a pamphlet to guide me with information along the way.  After winning the award, Pearl Fryar just kept on planting and planting.  He had no formal training, but his work is just amazing.

_MG_1044

As I was sitting on a bench admiring all the work that must have gone into these living works of art, who should drive up on a John Deere, but Pearl himself!  As he drove up, I said, “You must be Pearl.”  His animated answer was, “ Yes, I’m the person that created this monster!”  He is a delightful man, and we had a lively conversation until I asked if I could take his picture for my blog.  Then he was all serious in his pose. Eye rolling smile

_MG_1063

I asked him if he had a plan in mind when he planted each shrub or tree.  He said that by now, he didn’t have to think about it at all.  It just came to him what shape the planting would eventually take.

IMG_1059

The reason he thinks of his garden as a monster is that it takes constant work every day to keep it in perfect shape.  It was obvious he loved all the work involved regardless of his calling it a monster.  This man loves what he does, and loves sharing it with everyone who comes to see it.

IMG_1041

I told him my favorite creation was the one above.  To me, it is Cinderella’s pumpkin chariot to the ball.  He seemed pleased at my interpretation of his art. 

“I like to let people see what they want to in my plants.  The creativity comes in making a shape that speaks to me in one way, but may say something else to everyone else”                                                   Pearl Fryar, Lee County Observer, March 24, 1993

IMG_1033

Love Peace & Goodwill is a theme throughout the topiary garden.  (Had I been tall enough, I could have included the Goodwill section.  Each letter is eight feet tall.)  Pearl Fryar is a peaceful man, and I spent a very peaceful time visiting his garden.  There is no fee to visit, but I left a generous donation.  I took lots of photos, and you may see some more sprinkled through the next posts.  If you are ever anywhere close to Bishopville, SC, I would suggest this as a must visit place.

I leave you tonight with my last view of Pearl as I drove away.  He was back working with love and peace taking care of his garden.

IMG_0414

“Every individual can make a difference.  I think everyone has a contribution to make.”   Pearl Fryar, Lee County Observer, June 21, 2006.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

27 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to see the topiaries and meet the man himself. Looks like a great place to visit. Thanx for posting. (Did you see Cinderella, too?)

    Nickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place and person. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cool. I can enjoy the beauty of the gardens and am glad it's not me having to maintain it.

    Nice that you got to meet Pearl in person. Sorta icing on the cake. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place!!! Anyone that works in a garden, does it for love.. would be too onerous a chore to only do it for duty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, all the work involved....such a lovely artist! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Too saw the movie!! He is indeed a special man

    ReplyDelete
  7. Five thumbs on this guy. That has to be a massive undertaking. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do Like his work very much! When I first started to read the blog post, I thought of trees sculpted into animals etc. I love the abstract designs even more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special post -- and a special man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Years ago, I saw Pearl and his garden on HGTV's "Gardener's Journal." A fascinating man with a wonderful imagination and the wherewithal to accomplish his vision for his garden.

    Cat Lady

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Judy. Something else quite wonderful in the world that I might never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only was the story interesting but I loved the sunshine you had. We had
    doom and gloom here. Cold and rainy. The shrubs were very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful work he does! And how lucky were you to get to meet him in person!

    ReplyDelete

  14. What an amazing garden,so much work to maintain it. I think it takes a beautiful soul to create a beautiful garden like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post. It must have been a thrill to meet Pearl. What a gifted gentleman. Not only is he gifted but generous to permit visitors to walk around the property free of charge. I like his house also. Not a big ugly mansion, but the perfect house for the gardens. I would love to visit this garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You visited a "gem;" thanks for taking us along. I can't imagine taking on something like this ... but I'm glad he did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun that you actually got to meet him after watching the video. It's nice to see someone who actually enjoys what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also say the show on HGTV. But for you to acually be there that is great. Yes he has a beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was really a nice post. The gardens are wonderful and how extra special that you got to meet the gardener himself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great writeup! I would really enjoy walking the garden and meeting Pearl:) Also very glad I do not have to maintain something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post, Judy! What an amazing story - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing about this place - I had never heard of it before. Looks very intriguing, with all the different shapes. And what an unexpected pleasure to meet the creator!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an interesting story and place! Enjoyed reading about it.

    ReplyDelete