.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Test run on the Food Saver

After taking all the shells off of the shrimp and deveining them last night it was almost 10:00 at night.  I just didn’t feel up to figuring out how to use the Food Saver, so I refrigerated the shrimp overnight and tackled the vacuum sealing job tonight after work.  I brought the instruction booklet with me to the Pea Island VC to read during lulls in the crowds, and that helped a lot.

I also took the advice of a comment from last night’s post, and spread the shrimp out in a pan and put them in the freezer for about an hour before attempting to seal them in mostly large one meal servings.  I have to admit that the last two bags were rather bigger servings since after a ten hour work day I was wearing down and anxious to be done.  All in all, it was a very easy process and went off without a hitch.  Assuming this will prolong the usable life of the frozen shrimp and eliminate freezer burn, I’m very happy with the outcome.  It really was easy-peasy once I got the shrimp ready to be frozen.

IMG_0322 IMG_0316

About the most exciting thing that happened at the VC today was a brown-headed cowbird community bathing session at the bird bath.  One raccoon and 130 visitors stopped by, but other than that it was a pretty calm day.  Oh yes, there was the excitement of the mystery pile of scat next to the entrance ramp to the VC.  I say mystery because this dump was the size a large bear would make, and as far as I know there are no animals that large found on the Outer Banks.  In the interest of your sensibilities, I will not include a picture of it. In love  However, quite a few people asked me to identify it, which I couldn’t do.  It mystified me also.

IMG_0300

On my way back to the rig this evening, I did see one large bear sauntering through a harvested corn field.  By it’s size, I would guess it was a male.  It was quite far off, and never did come any closer.

IMG_0311 IMG_0309

Much closer to the road, this hatching year female sharp-shinned hawk did pose for me.  I knew it was a female by its size, and knew it was a young bird because of the yellow eye, and vertical striping on its chest.  An adult would have rusty horizontal streaking and a red eye, as well as grey head, wings, and back as opposed to the brown of this bird.  (so much for today’s ornithology lesson)

I’ll be working back out at the Pea Island VC tomorrow, and then have Monday off since it is Columbus Day.  Thank you Christopher!  I leave you tonight with a look at last night’s sunset taken through my front windshield.  The colors were so glorious that no Picasa enhancements were necessary for this shot.

IMG_0778

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

16 comments:

  1. My daughter uses a Food Saver and loves it. I hope you enjoy the shrimp. I've learned to fix about double the shrimp I think I will eat, and I always eat every last one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sunset. Also glad things worked as planned with the foodsaver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the Foodsaver does what you want it to. I really think you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous sunset! Can't wait to see the first meal with
    the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have never used a food saver, since we do not carry a lot of extra food around, but it will be interesting to hear how it works out after you have used it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just need to plan something that can be rewarmed when you use the extra large serving size bags. That way you and cook once and eat twice!

    Maybe the bear just had a lot to eat so made a bigger than usual scat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So how much did the raccoon spend at the VC?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Food saver bags are resealable so if you don't want to use a full bag, you can just take out what you want and reseal the bag and stick it back in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Sunset. This winter when you are enjoying a nice warm shrimp gumbo you will be really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sure was a lot of work but I know it will be well worth it.
    Beautiful sun set.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angela loves her food saver.Great header picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sunset is gorgeous. We've had some really pretty ones here in AZ but I haven't gotten a real good picture yet. Just can't seem to do them justice. You're going to really appreciate all your hard work in a few months when you're enjoying that shrimp dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous sunset...! I have a feeling that big bear "marked" his territory there. I also LOVE birds of prey. We have Red Tailed Hawks here.Den says they follow him in the combine when he is doing soybeans..waiting for a mouse to run out and then they swoop in!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful header photo.

    I have always wanted to buy one of those food savers but never knew if it really worked. Thanks for letting me know it isn't a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always enjoy the birding lessons and photos.

    ReplyDelete