.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, October 15, 2012

I’m ready!

One of the nice things about having photography as a hobby is that when I prepare to leave a volunteer assignment that I’ve been at for three months, I can sit down and review my time here pictorially.  That’s exactly what I did this afternoon in between packing up duties.  Tonight I’ve included several collages of my favorite memories from this assignment.  It wasn’t easy whittling it down to around 38 photos out of the over 600 that I kept, but at least I’ve probably deleted a couple of thousand over my time here.

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201224

I’ve got to say that the encounters with wildlife were probably my favorite memories from both Pea Island and Alligator River NWRs.  I hope the folks I was able to visit with won’t take that as an affront, but it’s the truth.

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201225

Yesterday I went to an afternoon cookout that the new volunteer coordinator and the new person responsible for the visitors centers put on.  There was a boatload of food, and pleasant visitation going on between the RV volunteers, the interns, and some of the staff at the volunteer coordinator’s home.  What a magnificent location she has for her house.  We sat out on the back deck that overlooked the Roanoke Sound, and enjoyed observing many large flocks of cormorants moving across the sound.

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201226

While I took care of some last loads of laundry, airing out and packing the outdoor carpet, and checking the tire pressures on the rig when I got back, my mind was a whirl with everything I had to do today.  When you’re parked somewhere for three months, there are a lot of chores to take care of both inside and out before everything is ready to hit the road.

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201227

Luckily, my monthly mail arrived at headquarters today, so I finished up putting away the extend-a-stay propane hook-up, dumped and flushed the tanks, stored the DISH satellite, cleaned the inside of the rig, and all the myriad other little chores that need to be done.  I can pretty much say I’m ready to go.

My plans are to drive to Wilson, NC, tomorrow.  I’ll stay there a couple of nights before moving on to South Carolina.  I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow, and my normal moving day jitters will calm once I’m back on the road.

IMG_0778

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

32 comments:

  1. Loved the gallery in this post! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels, Judy! I've enjoyed your posts and photos about your stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, great photos! Safe travels.
    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done such a good job of taking me along on your daily adventures. I feel like I was there with you. Safe travels tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I NEVER tire of looking at your photos! You present them so well and they make me feel like I'm right there. I think I relate so much to what you write because of our own experiences with NWRs. Glad today had decent weather for you... makes it SO much easier to pack up to go. Safe... and happy... travels! Looking forward to your next "assignment"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy and safe travels to you. How in the world do you organize that many photos? Do you use Picasa? I think Picasa works better with Microsoft, and I've never been able to use it to any extent with the Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Belt! You've put together a great pile of memories for us to enjoy. Good luck in your move, you are getting closer to the areas we hang in. Could there be another meet up soon (with a MH bath)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your photo collages. I see that your wildlife encounters included an encounter with a lobster on a plate! That's a good thing. Travel safe and thank you for sharing your adventures and wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sure looks like it was a great stay-travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have loved all of your pictures, Judy. It's like you're a magnet to wildlife. I like to go back and look through pictures of my travels, too, though they're not nearly as good as yours. You have a real talent. Oh, how I wish I could live the life you're living. Maybe once all this stuff with my back is over. Good luck; travel safely. Give Emma a pat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ready or not, there she goes. Travel safely, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the review of the pictures I have so enjoyed seeing on your blogs from Alligator River. It's a place I love and I can see you do too. Beautiful header shot!!
    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Safe travels, Judy! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed your review Judy, Have a safe journey to your next stop. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of yor travels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Safe Travels there Judy and I look forward to seeing more of your pictures and reading of your travels..God Bless...Zeee and Critters 3

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great selection of pictures for your collages. Wishing you safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No matter what pictures you choose they are incredible. I still have those first day jitters and I have Jim to help me. So I wish you lots of safe travels and calming breezes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Safe travels...I look forward to reading about your new adventure

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the memories ... safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  20. May you have safe travels. So anxious for you to get to Wilson. I am going to
    let my brother know so he can few your blog. Love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Safe travels and thanks for sharing all the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such wonderful memories. Safe travels to the next destination.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful memories. . .on to new adventure. . .safe travels!

    Janice
    ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have so enjoyed "visiting Alligator River NWR with you". As usual, your pictures are fantastic. So wish we were joining you at "Okee" but will have to be satisfied with being there via your blog. Safe travels, my friend. We'll keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for letting us ride along and stay with you and Emma in NC....Yep, I'm getting "hitch itch", even tho you don't have one!! Let's "ease on down the road"!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Isn't it amazing what you can do and see in just 3 months? Love this life style!
    Just take it slow and easy on the road and you'll be fine. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. We all benefit from your hobby. thank you, Judy. Be safe and enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the collages! Can't wait for your next location. Take care and travel safe.

    ReplyDelete