.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, October 18, 2012

I stopped to smell the roses today

I had two places to visit on my itinerary this morning.  First up was the Wilson, NC, Public Rose Gardens.  I didn’t figure there would be much blooming at this time in October, but boy was I surprised!

70 On the way to Okefenokee, 20123

These rose gardens are open every day of the year, sunrise to sunset and they’re free.  I was really surprised to see so many roses in bloom, and their fragrance just permeated the air.

70 On the way to Okefenokee, 20124

As you walk through the 1200 rose plants of about 180 different varieties in the garden, there are lots of benches along the way to sit on and enjoy the views.  Roses have never been one of my favorite cultivated flowers, but I may just have to change my mind after this morning’s experience. 

70 On the way to Okefenokee, 20125

One of the nice things about visiting these areas at this time of the year is that there are no crowds of people.  It was just me and the bees in the garden today.  Smile  The rose garden is maintained entirely by a group of local volunteers that are members of the Wilson Deadhead Society.  They each commit to come out to the gardens every week to cut the deadheads (spent blooms) from their adopted rose plant section.  There is also a very nice picnic area located facing the gardens and under the shade of large pine trees. 

_MG_0865 _MG_0864

A tall, large Vollis Simpson Whirligig is located on one side of the rose garden.  Investigating these whirligigs was the second thing on my itinerary for the day, but my adventure concerning the whirligigs rightly deserves a post of its own.  I’ll leave that for tomorrow night.  I’m very happy I decided to extend my stay in Wilson.  I have at least four more places I want to visit before I leave on Sunday.  I guess stopping to ‘smell the roses’ also means taking the time to enjoy the uniqueness of every little area of our country.  It’s a great journey I’m on…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

18 comments:

  1. You are making good use of time between volunteer posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any kind of botanical garden and guess I'll have to put rose gardens in that category. As for the Vollis Sympson Whirlgigs, I'm looking forward to that "junkyard art" blog of yours. Kind of makes me wonder what I could do with all of Bill's spare parts and extra tools... now... THAT didn't come out right, but anyway... hope you have lots of photos of those wind twirlers! Sounds like a great area to stop for a spell..

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nose is itching just looking at those rose pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you said Deadheads were the volunteers maintaining the rose gardens I was expecting to see pictures of Grateful Dead groupies. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy visiting rose gardens. I'm guessing that the rose garden here in Portland is not blooming as much as it was in the summer, but I admit, I hadn't thought of visiting there this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always liked roses, but this bush (or what's left of it) in front of my house is horrible. Ugly, the thorns are deadly, and I just want to be rid of it. I guess a rose garden where others are taking care of it would be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always liked roses and had a big rose garden at my house in Illinois. I prefer staying in one place for a few days rather that just driving through, but, of course, that is not always possible. It is good that you have a chance to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love the fragrance of roses. Glad you were able to stop and smell them today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love roses although I am not good at growing them. They require a lot of work. Nice to go visit a lovely garden though. Glad you took the time to enjoy these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful rose garden. We visited one in Spokane, WA. It was so lovely also. Mt. Hood was the backdrop...gorgeous. A ton of time and effect goes in to keep them so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely garden spot to refresh the soul -- and in October!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous roses! Enjoy your journey through Wilson. It's not a spot I would have ever thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like someone must have 'promised you a rose garden'. Great photos - as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your shots of the roses are beautiful...almost feel like you can smell them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful place. I'm putting it on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful explorations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our neighbors have a gazillion roses..This year we all got attacked by the Asian Beetles (very different than the Liverpool Beatles)..They at every blossom...Glad you stop to sit a spell and enjoy the local flora and fauna!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love the shot of the yellow rose and the bee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Roses are my absolute favorites! So beautiful! We have a small garden at church which I can see through the stained glass window. Today and last week, I had trouble paying attention because the roses are so lovely.

    Glad you are getting to relax between your volunteer gigs.

    ReplyDelete