.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, October 29, 2012

Reptile of the month

Many of you know that I spent the last three months at Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina.  While there I didn’t see one solitary alligator.  I did see and photograph lots of black bears.  Well, now I’ve moved to Okefenokee NWR, and I’m guessing I’ll be very lucky to catch a sight of a bear, but alligators will be more than abundant.

IMG_0521

When fellow volunteer Barb and I took that drive yesterday in the late afternoon in the electric cart, we saw a couple of alligators along the way.  This one is called ‘Mama’, and she pretty regularly can be found in the same pond/ditch area along the Swamp Island Auto Tour Route.  Because of that fact, the refuge has put up a sign about alligator safety.  I thought it was a hoot that Mama posed for us right next to the sign.

IMG_0523

This kind of displaying with the mouth open and the skin bagging under the jaw is usually reserved for the breeding season which is in the early spring.  Mama had a nest near by last year, but none of the young have been seen recently.  Compared to some of the alligators I’ve seen at Anahuac NWR, Mama is not that big (6-7’), but I guess she’s old enough to raise young.

IMG_0527

I’ve never had the opportunity to look down the throat of an alligator before!  I expected her teeth to be larger, and it seems to me that she has a slight issue with plaque. Sarcastic smile  I guess she doesn’t use a tooth brush.

Today was my first work day, and half the day was spent with orientation to this refuge.  The highlight of that was a boat tour through the swamp.  Even though the temps were chilly (in the upper 40’s), it was a wonderful experience.  I’ve gone through all of my photos from the tour, but I’ll talk about that trip tomorrow. 

The alligator will probably end up being more than just the reptile of the month for the next several months.  I think it will be a battle between alligators and turkeys as to which species I, and you, see most often. Winking smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

23 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that last picture through your camera lens and not from 5 feet away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you have made that observation about needing a cleaning, maybe someone in management will hand you a long stick with a toothbrush at the end:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love a cooperative gator!! Mama does seem to have been dealt a losing hand in the tooth (teeth?) department. I'm used to seeing big white choppers!!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - great photo. Do you worry about Emma and a possible confrontation? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She does not look happy to me. Plaque or not - I wouldn't want to get too close to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be careful or you might be assigned to tooth detail!! I'm anxiously waiting for tomorrow's swamp pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot of the gator's tonsils! I'm not sure if I'd rather encounter a bear or a alligator in the wild...hmm...maybe neither! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So do the volunteers have to brush the gator's teeth, or do the interns? I guess it's which ever one is easier to replace... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG - I loved your header, but I thought it was a frog!!! I can't believe these photos - you really got some great ones of this girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. With this storm at the Outer Banks bet you are glad to be away from there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've posted a lot of beautiful pictures on your Blog Judy, but you took my breath away with this one.... I wasn't expecting it I guess. And so close. Did you have Emma with you and if so did she get just a little excited?
    Watching this storm tonight, I too am so thankful you are away from the Outer Banks at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Sure hope that picture was taken with a good zoom far, far away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd say it is her teeth or the hand of the one that tries to clean them. Hmmmm, I think
    the hand is the winner. Maybe you give her a rawhide from Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow ,i have seen you share awesome pic.

    http://www.indiantravelconsultant.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking down the throat of a gator ... that will get the adrenaline going ... even from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. I looked forward to seeing photos from your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mama's so ugly she's beautiful! Was that boat ride through the swamp on an air boat? Looking forward to more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "If Mama ain't happy...NOBODY is happy"..yup. At Brazos Bend I never thought I would get so close up to see soooo many alligators..They are a wonderful prehistoric looking beast..and I respect their "space"...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Pic's, can you explain how you are locating the volunteering jobs you are getting?

    ReplyDelete
  20. How close / far were you from that critter?

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my goodness. . .looking down that alligator's throat is awesome and frightening at the same time. . .really, really great shot!

    Janice

    ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing.blogspot.com

    FaceBook.com/ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a nasty looking gator - they all are!

    ReplyDelete