.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

He thought “I’d fallen, and I couldn’t get up!”

When I chose to stop in Wilson, NC, on the first leg of my journey to Okefenokee NWR in Georgia, I knew nothing about the area.  I picked it because the campground was an easy 135 drive for my first day back on the road.  Well, it turns out there’s quite a bit to see in this area, and this morning I decided to extend my stay at Kampers Lodge Campground through Saturday night.  This campground allows you to use the Passport America 50% discount for up to a week, so I’m just going to kick back and enjoy my little ‘vacation’ between volunteer assignments.

_MG_0840

I figured I’d visit some place of interest each day until I leave on Sunday, and today it was the Farm Life Tobacco Museum in Kenly, NC.  I’ve always been interested in how different agricultural products are grown, and I learned a lot about that today.

70 On the way to Okefenokee, 20122

There is a 6000 square foot museum to visit along with dwellings, barns, and other outbuildings that depict the life of the tobacco farmer as it was from about 1880 to 1930.

_MG_0836 IMG_0838

I first watched a great movie that explained everything that is involved in growing this crop that is so important to the economy in North Carolina.  Most interesting to me was learning about how flue-cured tobacco became the first cash producing commodity for this region during the late 1880’s.  These tobacco farmers are a proud bunch, and I thought the $7.00 entrance fee was worth it for me. 

When I got back to the rig, Emma and I went for another walk around the campground and were sure to visit the donkeys once again.  Afterwards, I figured there was no better time to lube up the levelers that were a little recalcitrant yesterday.  I got out the silicone spray, and an eight foot piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that I carry.  If I was going to crawl under the rig for the first time ever, I wanted something underneath me to help cushion the gravel.  I started with the front passenger’s side leveler.  Getting in and out to do that chore about made my miserable hip force me to scream.  Ouch!

After a little rest and recuperation, I tackled the other levelers with a slightly different approach that didn’t result in so much pain.  As I was crawling out from underneath the third leveler, the owner of the campground came running towards me yelling stop!  He thought, and was worried, that I’d fallen under the rig and couldn’t get up.  I assured him that I was fine, and just trying to slowly take care of things.  He insisted on doing the last leveler, and I let him.  Crawling around under there wasn’t my favorite thing to do, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought, so now I’ll be more comfortable doing it again.  Just another one of those little learning experiences.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

28 comments:

  1. We've got 4 levellers here that need an experienced luber. Say, where did you say you & your lube can were?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al bought one of those boards with wheels for crawling underneath....of course he will still have to figure out how to get back up off the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you had spent more time down under with the first one, I'll bet he would have done all 3 remaining for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had some trouble with our front jacks coming up and I started getting under and wiping them off and giving them a good every time we moved unless it was under a month's stay and we've never had any trouble with them since. I'm almost afraid to say that. :-)) Hope they can't hear me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do know that my ancestors from my dad's mother's side of the family, were tobacco farmers from North Carolina. My grandma had gone to a family reunion there a couple of years before she died and having looked at all the photos, there was no doubt I was related!! I would love to travel there some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you'd laid there just a moment longer maybe he'd a tried CPR! These days I take my excitement where I find it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like really caring folks at that park. I'll have to remember this place when I decide to head East.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting museum. Next time you need the jacks lubed, just get comfy under one of them and wait for the help to arrive:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so admire your determination and self-sufficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be careful under that rig! My husband got careless and had to dig a hole to crawl out from under his when it settled in soft earth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good for you for crawling underneath the rig!!..but sure nice to have a 'gentleman' there to give a wee bit of help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Craig doesn't know it, but that sort of thing is why I'm going to keep him around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that comment, Merikay, has me laughing till I have tears!

      Delete
  13. I once heard my grandfather proclaim that a Kentucky farmer who didn't grow tobacco wasn't worth his salt! I remember the fields well from when I was a kid. A lot of farm boys made good money from it, and many of them banked it. Girls and boys split the milk money, but the butter and eggs were Grandma's source of a little cash.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the same thing that happened when I was taking pictures of bugs.
    But he was starting to dial 911. Then he saw me move.
    Tell Mouse I said HI.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is really nice having caring and concerned owners. I have them in the new park I moved to this summer. Always ready to help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are pretty amazing ...and smart too to let someones help when they offer. Take care of that hip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Letting someone help when they offer is something I learned a long time ago. I try to practise it whenever possible.
    I always had issues with the rear jacks on our motorhome. They were even replaced under warranty within the first couple years too. Didn't really help. I just developed a "system" of helping them retract. Also bought a "creeper" (the thing mechanics lie on with wheels when under a vehicle) although I didn't need it for the jacks, it was sure a nice to thing to have.
    Of course, there's still the issue of GETTING UP off the creeper, but at least I could wheel myself back and forth under the vehicle. Doesn't work worth a darn in gravel though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a nice area, happy you are taking some extra time to enjoy it. Glad you were able to lube the levelers without too much trouble. Nice to know that someone was keeping their eye on you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's terrific to be self sufficient, but it's even more terrific to have really nice people where you are at to help you if you need it! Take care of your hip.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gotta love the savings of Passport America. And quite the southern gentleman to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the way you are always ready to tackle a new experience whether it is travel, site seeing, or tending the rig. At least you know you can do it when necessary. Hopefully this lube will last a good long while.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Atta girl! You're doing good with that preventive maintenance on the levelers. Nice of the man to finish the last one for you. Glad that there is at least one gentleman left in the world. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing damn woman, yep, that's what you are...AND.. I learned a new word today thanks to you, teach...RECALCITRANT...Never too old to learn, right?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Judy, so glad you made it to Wilson in one piece....miss you here at the GVC, but I am having a ball following you....have even attempted to create a blog....like one of your other visitors said "never to old to learn something new".....Happy Trails Good Friend....ann

    ReplyDelete