.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, May 2, 2011

Watching local terrorists

61 On the way to Indiana2

It’s not too exciting parked in the repair shop lot, so I’m reaching a little here.  Don't tell anyone smile  As Emma and I sit outside each late afternoon, I’ve been watching this pair of house sparrows go about their lives.  That’s the female on the left, and the male on the fence.  They’ve been quite busy supplying food to their young which are located in that round electrical connection.  This species was brought here in the 1850’s from England, and rapidly expanded to now be found throughout the country.  They could be considered the Osama bin Laden of the North American small bird world.  Bluebirds have been especially effected by their presence.

 

I knew a fellow bird bander when I lived in upstate New York that did a forty year study of this invasive species.  He ran an extensive bluebird nesting box trail, and when he would find a pair of house sparrows taking over a nest box, he’d wring their necks.  That was the extent of his study.  Does that sound a little harsh?  He wasn’t in the Navy Seals, but I can draw similarities to the news of the past 24 hours.

 

I’m not making light of the elimination of Osama bin Laden, as all three of my children have served or are serving in the military and I am one proud parent and appreciate their and all military families’ sacrifices for our freedoms.  The news also brought back memories to me of 9-11.  Things I’ll never forget.  All I’m saying is that we must be always vigilant; and that’s the end of my political segway.

61 On the way to Indiana3On a happier note, I really enjoyed watching this male mockingbird sing his lungs out this afternoon.  He got so excited that he danced up in the air in full voice!  His exhortations must have worked, though, as a female soon joined in the audience to his performance.  What woman could ignore such a heart felt demonstration in song and dance? Smile

 

I got the word this morning that it will probably be another week or so before my shades are delivered.  Ho hum!  So, I busied myself this afternoon with a trip to the grocery store for some staples.

_MG_1395On the way back to the rig, I decided to stop at Don’s Specialty Meats.  They have homemade boudin (pronounced boo-dan) and cracklins’, among other things.  Since I’ve got a freezer that really works now, I picked up a few things for the trip I’ll be taking with my sister to the UP of Michigan in June.  We usually trade off nights of preparing supper when we travel together, so I’m thinking a couple of my turns at cooking will involve some Cajun food.  I passed on the cracklins’ after finding out they were made from pig stomachs.  Just didn’t think I could go there… Nyah-Nyah

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

19 comments:

  1. Cracklin's have that name for a reason...I don't think I want to go there either....just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday on my birding excursion, I watched more then one House Sparrow over take a nesting box occupied by Tree Swallows. I'd wring their necks if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cracklin's and boudin??..sorry never heard of either!..what happened to good old chicken??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Sue - chicken works for me. That picture of the joker is almost scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was growing up cracklins' were the brown bits leftover from rendering lard. 'Course I didn't grow up in Louisiana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to be shocked to read that you are a cracklin' fan. I have eaten cracklin's, way back in my childhood Alabama days. But, I am not a fried pork skin fan, nor a fried chicken skin fan. However, I love boudin! It would be impossible for me to wring a bird neck, but I do remember my Mother wringing chicken necks. Wish I could forget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thot of cracklins & pig's stomach sorta makes me sick to my stomach...YUK!! Neat that you & your sister have planned a trip together...that should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We lived in Texas for four years. during that time I tried to learn how to play the guitar. Sometimes I would practice in the back yard on cool afternoons. There was a Mockingbird that took up repeating my plunking playing!

    It was very funny at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also think I remember my mom calling the rendering of lard producing cracklins. It's the crispy brown bits and they aren't bad at all. If you think certain animal parts are inedible, you probably don't want to know what is in hot dogs, sausage, or fast food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And here I thought you were going to tell us bin Laden was alive and working in a bird refuge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you bypassed the cracklin's you certainly would not enjoy a dish of haggis when in Scotland. 'Nuff said. (It is good, albeit an acquired taste and quite rich.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes when we know what is in the food we eat it really makes a difference in our perception, but I'm with you pigs stomach would turn me off and I try really hard not to think about what is in a hot dog on the few occasions I eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't forget where tripe comes from! But, don't ask what's in those sausages!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Love your new header picture! How do you get those birds to pose for you?

    I have trouble even getting rocks and trees to stay still for me...

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your slant on the happenings...

    also love to hear the mockingbirds sing and try to figure out what has influenced their song!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Be careful where you get your Boudin, a meat market sounds safe. Sounds like you have a fun summer ahead of you, can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Judy.. let me know where in the U.P. you are planning on going? My stompin grounds ya know!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
     http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Should have tried the cracklins. They are delicious and addictive, and loaded with fat, of course.

    I was born to an English mom and was forced to eat bland food for thirteen long years until we moved to Louisiana and I got introduced to Cajun food. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Crawfish - boiled, in bisque, and any other way it'd made, red beans and rice, tasso.... I think the Cajuns must be the best cooks of all because they can take the most unlikely materials and make food for the gods from it. Alligator sauce piquant is another good example.

    ReplyDelete