.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother’s Day sorrows and joys

For the second Mother’s Day in a row, I was not able to call and talk to my mother.  I reflected on the last few years before her death, where I wasn’t sure she knew who I was anyway.  That’s the sad part of Alzheimer's.  But, previous to that, calling her always rejuvenated my spirit.  She had always been so supportive of my choice to live the fulltiming lifestyle.  Like anyone else would, I miss those times.

 

On the joyful side, all three of my kids called me today, and I enjoyed every minute of those conversations. Smile  I’m anxious to get up to Indiana to be closer to two of them and the five grandkids.

 

When the shade hit the driver’s side of the rig, Emma and I went outside to enjoy the late afternoon.  I had determined that I will not do much more touring while I’m here so I’ll be feeling 100% for my trip north. 

_MG_1527

I took my camera out with me, and was surprised to see more than I expected in the parking lot.  A male house finch stopped by to give us a look.

_MG_1547 _MG_1548

Next thing, a mockingbird landed with it’s eye on a bug in the grass.

_MG_1550

It showed it’s exuberance after a successful catch!

_MG_1535

I guess springtime love is in the air.  Don’t think these are the infamous love bugs, but they were sure determined.

_MG_1556 _MG_1562

Then there was this guy that caught Emma’s eye.  It was about 1 1/2” long, and get a load of those big eyes!   I have no idea what it is, but I’ve never seen this insect before.

 

All in all, it was a very nice Mother’s Day for me.  I hope all of you had an enjoyable day as well.

 

When I took Emma for her last outs just this side of midnight last night, she hopped down from the rig, and immediately began sniffing around the car.  She tried to crawl underneath, with some low growls.  I yanked her back, and we went off so she could do her business.  Once I put her back in the rig, I went back out to move the car forward to see what might be under it.

IMG_1538 IMG_1541

This is what I found.  I spent a good amount of time this afternoon trying to figure out what kind of snake it was.  I think, by the shape of it’s eye that it is nonvenomous.  As usual, I struck out with my endeavors to determine it’s identity.  At first I thought it was a corn snake, but the pattern didn’t match.  At any rate,  it was pretty much a newborn as it was only about 10-12” long.  I then prodded it to move on to greener pastures.  Smile 

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

26 comments:

  1. "Emma, the snake dog" may now be added to her many other titles. Can't help you with the bug identification. I'm as bad about knowing bugs as I am about knowing birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER seen such awesome pics -- how you managed to get that Mockingbird with the wings spread is incredible! Have no idea what the bug is...Emma is such a good girl! I understand about not being able to call your Mom on Mother's Day...14 yrs for me:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't dogs wonderful? Most of the time we have to take care of them as we do small children, and other times they take such good care of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never met a snake I really like!! I will say that your snake was very pretty. :-)
    Your pics today were just awesome!!

    I understand how you feel about your mom! I lost my mom many years ago....15 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your missing your mom and what you went through, my mom was also taken by Alzheimers just last month after suffering for about 5 years. I got a little teary eyed reading your words. It's hard.

    So nice you heard from your kids, that must have been the day's highlight.

    Keep enjoying your adventures, even if they include snakes. Thanks for sharing the beauty of nature in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure do find the wild life! I really don't like snakes all that much.

    The big "eyes" are not eyes at all. They are spots that are a camouflage so a predator thinks it is a different or bigger bug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one awesome mockingbird photo!

    Bugs always give me the creeps, so I can really look at those photos for more than a second.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you on Mother's Day. It has been 11 years for me, and at least 2-3 before that that she knew us. And I still miss her. Like you, it was so good that my kids all called today. The cycle of life, eh?

    As for the pictures .... I like fur and feather, I'm fascinated with bugs, but I don't do snakes. In the picture, it is just fine, but I'll keep this distance, if you please!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure enjoyed those bird photos today. You must have a quick "trigger" finger to get such good shots!

    Glad you heard from all your kids today. Hope you are over your illness and feeling stronger every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure missed keeping up with your adventures and amazing photos...again I was not disappointed. So happy you heard from your kiddos and that you'll be seeing some of them soon!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy, Mother's Day can be an emotional one for us that have lost our Mom's, it's been 15 years since I lost my Mom to cancer,

    Glad your starting to feel better so you will be able to move on soon. More great photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really hard on Mother's Day when they are no longer with us. I cried a lot today. You are one brave lady. How in the world could you prod that snake along to green pastures I will never understand. I would be screaming from inside the rig.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great photos. Hope you had a great day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice catch on the Mockingbird photos. Glad you didn't squish the snake while moving the car. I mostly like all creatures....except mosquitoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos Judy, that snake looks just a little too real!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Mockingbird picture is amazing!

    I think those are Love bugs...tis the season :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVED the bird photos...Snakes...not so much. Yes, our Boxelder bugs are walking around joined at the behinds too....Now there is a very strange courtship/mating ritual...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Mothers Day. I feel your hurt in not being able to call your mom. I lost mine when I was only 21. There are so many things I never got to ask her or learn from her. It makes Mother's Day a little bittersweet. I am just glad that I am still here for my kids and I hope I will be for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful snake. Glad you had a great Mother's day. Me too... Your pictures of the birds never fail to impress. I simply have to get a better camera. Safe travels..

    ReplyDelete
  20. No slithery creatures for me, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lucky snake that you ran across her instead of someone who might have been so helpful.

    I understand about you mother, as mine passed from the same disease five years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I meant to say "not so helpful", apparently my fingers are faster than my brain :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. We all those bugs "love bugs" in Florida and there are a lot of them here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think there should be a "Motherless Day" or a "Missing Mother Day". My mother is gone since 1996, and she was way too young.

    Memphis, Cairo and anythign close ot the MISSISSIPPI is flooded by 25 feet. Can you come up through AR and MO? What a terrible time they are having in TN and IL.

    I like snakes that live in my yard and stay anonymous. I found a toad the size of my open hand the other day. He must be a granddaddy.

    Spring is complete--a pair of orioles and a hummingbird are now here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. May be a hog nose. I was lucky this week my mom was pretty lucid. Not sure she really knows who I am but we could have a conversation this week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yup, those are love bugs - time to get outa Dodge!

    ReplyDelete