.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, May 13, 2011

A couple of firsts today

As you all know, we’ve all had problems with Google the last day or so.  This is my post from Thursday night.  I headed out early this morning, but had to pack it in after only 170 miles.  I was just plain worn out.  Guess I haven’t bounced back 100% yet from last week’s flu bout.  I’m just southwest of Tuscaloosa, MS, and there is nothing very memorable about the park I’m staying in.  So, this is it for today…

I was ready to roll by 8:00 this morning, but I had to wait until the bill was finalized.  Wouldn’t you know, once that was accomplished, an incoming motorhome blocked the exit so I couldn’t get out.  While that person checked in, I sat on the MH steps and twiddled my thumbs.  Eventually I escaped, but by the time I filled up with gas, it was 9:45 before I actually started making some headway.  Ugh! 

 

I made it across the Mississippi River without incident.  Then it was head north towards Mississippi.  As I drove along, the temps kept increasing.  When I stopped for lunch at the welcome rest area entering MS, for the first time in my life, I turned on the generator and AC to bring the temperature inside the rig down a little.  While I ate, and cooled down, I called the campground that I had in mind for the evening, and was able to get the last available site for the night.  Phew! 

 

When I finally pulled in just south of Jackson, the temp inside the rig was 91*!  The first order of business was to hook up to the electricity, and start the AC at Swinging Bridge RV.  It turns out that although there are lots of sites, there are only six for overnighters.  I was happy to see it was an easy in, and a slightly challenging out for tomorrow morning. 

_MG_1623

There are lots of long term folks here, and that’s pretty much what the campground is run for.   I had checked it out on the RV campgrounds review site, and was warned about the speed bumps and potholes.

 

However, nothing prepared me for the upheaval that occurred inside the rig on my approach to the office.  In all my years of RVing, I’ve never had a cabinet pop open, and its contents belched out.  That was another first today.  Lesson learned…Corel plates do bounce even when hitting a very hard countertop without breaking!  But what a racket that made!  I thought a bomb had exploded inside the rig.  Disappointed smile 

_MG_1627

Once we had cooled down a bit, Emma and I sat outside for a while.  It was certainly a hot day for a black dog.  When I couldn’t stand it anymore, we came inside and the outside temp was still 90*.

_MG_1628

It’s a pretty clean park, and several long term residents have planted greenery around their patios.  I hope to head out fairly early tomorrow morning to run before a coming storm front.  With any luck, I’ll be near Birmingham, Alabama tomorrow.

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

 

P.S.  I love the new shades, but they sure are noisy traveling down the road.

23 comments:

  1. Good to see a post from you. Even at 100%, the heat and humidity just knocks me for a loop, making me feel like I'm a wet mop dragging along. Gotta tell ya, here in NJ it's a pleasant 68 with rain coming for the next few days. :) Have safe travels, been thinking about ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall humidity being a big problem in my younger years but I sure can't hack it anymore now that I am older. Safe travels Judy as you make your way north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're moving along -- so are we. Hope you outrun any storms heading South. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your travels North stay safe and the weather cooperates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you didn't get into the bad storms that moved through here today!...You won't need to worry about the heat up here..It just vamoosed for the next week..Ya just gotta live Illinois..NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on the Corel plates, I have those too as they tend to "nest" together.

    Must have been some serious bumps!!!

    Stay safe!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your trip today was okay. Our daughter in Montgomery delayed until tomorrow due to the weather a trip to visit us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have had the cabinet come open a couple of times.
    We finally got child locks to keep them closed. Of course we forgot and broke a wine glass last time out. Will you come near St. Louis on your way to Indiana?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never mind the question, sometimes I am geographically challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who is that little Shih Tzu? Do you have two 4-leggers? If so, I didn't realize that, and I was surprised that the picture!

    Sorry you're not back to full strength yet. I hate to admit it, but I don't bounce back like I used to. And as for heat and humidity.... well, I left the Midwest on purpose! I just couldn't do it any longer. Good luck to you! And don't push yourself too hard. It's not worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  11. safe travels to you and Emmi as you head to Alabama!..sorry to hear that the shades are noisy and about the 'bomb' exploding..at least there wasn't any broken plates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Safe travels to you and Emma. There have been many times in the summer months we turn the generator on to get air in the rig while we drove. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. There are many firsts we all have in this lifestyle.
    Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are taking it easy as you gain your strength back. I have Corelle too and I love how sturdy it is. Glad nothing was broken.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad the Corel plates didn't break, because when they do they shatter into a zillion pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  16. With heat and humidity like that no wonder you packed it in early ... I find both to be quite draining.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great picture of Emma. Sorry you won't be coming closer to us. We loved our time with you in MS. If things turn out the way I hope, we will cross paths again. Safe travels..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still trying to figure out which blogs I've commented on and ones I haven't due to the Blogger problems. Anyway, safe travels and I hope you are staying cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We put stick on Velcro type stuff on the corners of our shades to keep them from banging on the window frames. That helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to here you crossed the Mississippi without incident. I wonder if the recent rain made the potholes at the campround worse then when I was there. The speed bumps were crazy, and I probably should have warned you. Thanks for the comments about a place to stay in Texas. My husband and I had already done the Hot Springs full spa thing, so I won't be stopping there on this trip. But, if I'm driving through that area, I may stop to fill up some bottles of water, though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have had Corel jump out of the cabinet and shatter into a million tiny slivers as we went down the road before, but never heard it because we pull a trailer. I was amazing how many pieces one plate could make.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are taking our Corelle with us on the road, but we're going to put the plates in a lower drawer just in case we have a hard bump. That way the drawer would open but the plate won't bounce out. Had one shatter once at home and don't want to deal with slivers all over the MH.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jim bought some pipe insulation and cut a slit in them so they'd fit over the bottom of the shade. That stops them from banging while we're going down the road. Works great.

    ReplyDelete