.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Happy 37th Birthday, Robyn

I was invited over to my daughter Robyn’s house this afternoon for supper.  It’s her birthday, and her husband, Dennis, is out of town at a training.  When I got up this morning, I was feeling pretty good.  I decided to call her and come for lunch instead.  I didn’t sleep much last night, so I was afraid I’d be beat by the time the later afternoon rolled around.  She was okay with that, so I headed out around 9:00.  I also packed up my laundry and brought it with me.  She’s got the cheapest laundromat around.  Smile

IMG_1751

They were supposed to have an in ground swimming pool installed beginning this week, but with all the rain the only progress has been to get the digging machines there.  Robyn and Dennis were also given an outline of their pool and told to place it where they wanted it.  I know it doesn’t look like much now, but I’m going to enjoy watching the transformation.  I’m thinking I’m also going to enjoy some swimming this summer when I come to do laundry.  Sure beats a mucky old pond!  (it’s going to be a heated pool Smile

 

My sister thinks they’re crazy to put in a pool in this climate, but I remember having a small above ground pool in upstate New York when the kids were young.  It was a life saver for me, and the kids loved it.  We didn’t have air conditioning, and when it got hot, I joined them in the pool to cool down.  I guess I was a more volatile person then, and it just calmed us all down.

 

This morning was a very interesting time.  As I stepped outside to take the picture of the pool area, the door somehow locked behind me.  When I knocked on the door, nobody answered.  It turns out, Robyn was in the bathroom, and the kids kept barging in on her.  Then the youngest, Phoebe, began screaming bloody murder.  Eventually, Robyn opened the door and ran back to the bathroom.  I decided to see why Phoebe was crying so hard.  Turns out she was wearing one of the Mardi Gras necklaces I had sent them, and it got hung up on the little door into the playhouse.  Being just under two years, she couldn’t figure out how to get it off of her neck, so of course, she screamed instead.  It took some work, but I got her loose.  She doesn’t know me well enough yet to allow me to pick her up and comfort her, so she ran crying through the house looking for her mother.  She is a real mama’s girl at this point.

 

When Robyn returned, she gathered up Phoebe, and then her sister, Avery fell down and cracked her head on a chair.  Oh my!  What a wild few minutes it was. Smile with tongue out  It brought back memories of having three under school age kids at home in my distant past.

_MG_1747

For you grandmother types out there, here is a picture of Avery, aged three.  Don’t you just love the chalk smeared on her face?

_MG_1749

This is Phoebe after she calmed down.  I’m thinking these two may play quite a part in my pictures this summer.

 

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

 

P.S.  I can’t believe I have a daughter 37 years old!  Where does the time go?

16 comments:

  1. What adorable grandgirls! And such cute ages. And isn't it so nice to be the grandma instead of the mom? We grandmas can think the chalk is cute (which it is) and not even think about the bath that will follow and the chalk on the clothes, hands, table, etc. Yep, I like being a grandma.

    Happy birthday to your daughter. I can still see my daughter as a tiny toddler and she turned 44 last month. YIKES!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we had our pool built, I had each kid bury a small toy in the ground underneath. Now 10+ years later they recall what it is. kind of a time capsule for someone if they ever dig up the pool.

    A Arizona Holiday

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids are so darn cute.... Glad your enjoying yourself there. Happy Birthday to Robyn!!!
    Have fun
    Donna

    http://adventureswithtassie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet little face and such fun ages...oh how I miss that. I have a feeling it will be a long time if ever that I'll ever be a grandma even with four sons.

    My oldest will be 29 next month. Not sure how that happened since I'm only 29!! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks as if you are going to enjoy your summer and save a few quarters...

    ReplyDelete
  6. And your daughters name is Robyn? Was she your little bird at the time?

    I think you will enjoy having the girls get to know you this summer. Two is a cling to Mamma time, but they are also so quick to learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday to your daughter, Robyn!!..lovely granddaughters you have Judy!..I am sure before long they will be running to you instead of Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, they are just darling! You are going to have so much fun with them this summer. And I don't think you can post too many pictures of grandkids. I look forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, my "baby" is 41, and I can't believe it, either!

    Those two babies are adorable! Yes, I'm sure they will be in many pictures this summer, and you'd better plan on sharing those pix!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe my daughter will turn 40 this fall. Where did the time go? Glad you're feeling better. Being sick sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kids are really adorable - I know you'll have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don't have grandkids so I get my memories of parenting from pictures of those belonging to other people. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you had an exciting day with the grand kids. When they are that small everything is exciting. I'm kind of glad mine are older now, but they sure are cuties at that age. Glad you are feeling better and hope that continues.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute girls! We always like free laundry at the kids. I feel it is getting some back from all those years of them bring laundry home and dumping it in front of the laundry while visiting from college. Of course,, they expected full service, we still have to do it ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The girls are so cute. More pictures please. Jim's oldest son will be 48 in a couple of weeks. 48!!! Our son will be 25 in a couple of weeks. Talk about a mixed bag.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my Judy they look like you. How cute are they and I am looking forward to seeing many more pictures in the future.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete