.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Sunday Blast from the Past

It was May, 2008, when I stopped in Page, AZ, for a few days. One of the things that I wanted to do in Page was take a boat tour of Lake Powell. So after I got settled in at the only campground in Page, I headed to the office to sign up for the boat tour.
The next morning, everyone hopped into the back of pickup trucks and off we went.

Much to my surprise, we didn't go anywhere near the lake, but headed for miles down the sand. Then we were told to climb off the truck and head for what looked to be a crack in the rocks. It turned out, I had somehow signed up for the Antelope Canyon tour, not the Lake Powell tour. But what a wonderful mistake it was!

Antelope Canyon is on Navajo Tribal grounds, and the only way to see it is to go on a tour led by Navajo guides.
Once inside that "crack" in the mountain, the formations in the sandstone formed by wind and rain are unbelievably gorgeous.


I would have liked to take my time visiting this wonder, but the guides pretty much hustle you through to stay on their time table. If you are ever in Page, you shouldn't miss this tour. If I ever return, I think I'll take the longer photographic tour of the canyon. This had been about the best "mistake" I'd ever made!
.
After about 40 minutes inside the canyon, we were hustled back onto the open air trucks and had a hair raising 60 mph drive back through the sand. I really needed to hang on tight.
.
Stay tuned next week for the real tour of Lake Powell. ;)
.
Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment