.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Rockhound State Park, NM

Rockhound State Park is located about six miles from where I'm camped at the LoW-HI Ranch, so I decided to make a brief visit there today. I had also hoped to see Spring Canyon State Park, but it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. So I'll make a return visit to both parks before I leave Deming.

The views at Rockhound are enjoyable. That's the Florida Mountains in the distance. The park, itself, is located on the western slope of the Little Florida Mountains which are behind me when I took this shot.

I stopped at the Visitor's Center and was duly educated about the wildlife and rocks that can be found in the area. This state park is unique in the country as it allows visitors to take fifteen pounds of rocks/visitor from the park. Folks come here to collect silica, quartz crystals, chalcedony, agate, common opal, jasper, and thundereggs and geodes. I really don't know one rock from another, but the displays in the visitor's center were very pretty.

.

Earlier on, when I was leaving Colorado, I had thought of spending a month in different New Mexico State Parks. After driving through the campground, I'm kind of happy I decided to plunk myself down at Low-HI. There really weren't any sites available to camp in with electric (because they were all taken). The views of the mountains from the campsites were spectacular. My suggestion would be to make reservations if you want to enjoy this scenic park, or plan on boondocking without electricity.

.

Dogs are allowed on the trails here, so Emma and I will return together to enjoy them. I'm also hoping to see the Persian Ibex that inhabit Spring Canyon SP.

.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment