.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Touch of Winter

Last night got into the thirties down here so I brought my tomato plant inside and put it into the shower stall. I can't think of too many things that I like better than a fresh homegrown tomato. I hope to pamper this tomato plant along so I will have a few fresh tomatoes. Having a garden is one of the few things I miss about going full time in an RV.

The very high winds the night before last knocked over bicycles, tables, and one DISH satellite in the volunteer village. One of the volunteers found his bicycle tarp quite a ways down to the southeast. Thank goodness the winds subsided today and temps made it up into the high sixties. I left Minnesota to get out of the cold weather and the last two days really made my fingers tingle even with gloves on. Southern Texas is not supposed to be this cold. ;)

I've worked the last two days, but not too hard. Diana and I have been working on a power point presentation to take to some of the 500 RV parks in the area expounding the virtues of visiting the refuge. I must admit that Diana is doing most of the work with occasional inputs from me. She is a real wiz on the computer. We also headed out this afternoon to visit Baker's Acres to stock up on oranges, lemons, and grapefruits. We established a relationship with them last year so that they keep their drops and rejects on the side for us to pick up to use to feed the birds outside the visitor's center.

We are having a potluck dinner tomorrow at the Outpost. One of the volunteer couples is taking the ham bone left from Thanksgiving and making ham and bean soup while the rest of us will provide side dishes. I'm making creamed cucumbers & onions, so had to stop while we were out getting oranges this afternoon to get some ingredients. I also had to refill the small propane tank that I have for my BBQ grill and cash my first ever rebate check from a credit card.

One of the other things I did today was return several DVDs that I had rented. I'm not big on going to movie theaters and don't rent many movies, but I did want to see "The Bucket List". I enjoyed it. I've had a list of things I wanted to do before I died, so I appreciated this movie. Going up in a hot air ballon was one of those things I've wanted to do, so I checked that off in October. I'm going to try to check off two more things while I'm down here...horseback riding on an ocean beach and flying a kite on a gulf beach. What's on your list?

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment