.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

How's your navel?

One of the things I like about the Rio Grande Valley is all the citrus. I have a fifteen pound bag of navel oranges hanging on the ladder on the back of my motorhome, and I take two of them out each day to squeeze for fresh juice in the morning. That bag lasts me about two weeks or so and only costs $4.00. I go directly to the orchard (Baker's Acres) to get them and also pick up tangerines and lemons. Lots of vitamin C. ;)

This morning, fellow volunteers Diana and Janie and I went on a five mile bike ride on the back roads of the refuge. Five miles doesn't sound like much, but the wind was blowing about 35 mph and was only at our backs for a short time. If I keep this up I should have "thighs of steel" before too long.

I spent the afternoon trying to fix the drapes that cover the front windows of the motorhome. After three years, quite a few of the plastic hooks have become detached and it poses a problem closing the drapes along the runner. I washed them up and tried using super glue to put the hooks back on. Mostly it worked, but there are three hooks I'll have to redo.

For the first time in my life, I bought a mango the other day. I wasn't sure what to do with it so I got on the internet and looked up recipes. So, tonight I'll be trying a mango and shrimp salad. Besides citrus, this area also has fantastic fresh gulf shrimp. It should be very tasty.

It's back to work tomorrow. There's no one signed up for the bird tour, so I'm not sure what I'll be doing other than attending a volunteer meeting in the morning. We had record temperatures in the high eighties today, but the weather is supposed to really take a turn for the worse over night. I think I'll even have to put on jeans instead of shorts tomorrow! It's a rough life, but I'll muddle through.

Thanks for stopping by.........talk to you later, Judy

1 comment:

  1. Never bought a Mango?! You're missing out! They are great just cut up in slices too. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete