.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Some visitors get put to work

When I got up early Sunday morning, I wasn’t sure if Daniel and Crystal were going to head home or stay another day.  I had to set my alarm because there were only two days left to finish the Minnesota Loon Count, and I had three more lakes to cover.  All surveying of the lakes must be done before noon, and not on days with high winds or heavy rains.  I told them that they were welcome to come along and help with the count.  Daniel was of a mind to head for home, but Crystal was more of a mind to do something that not many people get to do.  I was happy that Crystal persuaded Dan to stay another day.  After all, they hadn’t even been to the visitors center yet.

_MG_0444

Bridget and I hopped into the refuge truck and squashed the ‘youngsters’ in the back seat.  We were off onto the Teacracker Trail to find Squaw Lake. (It has a more politically correct name now, but I can’t remember it.)  We had to bushwhack our way down to the edge of the marsh to see the lake.  Dan and Crystal led the way with Dan carrying the scope and tripod.  (There was method to my madness of having them come along. Winking smile)  We did find one loon, but sorry to say there were two Chippewa men harvesting leeches in their canoe.  You can just barely see them in this pic.  They were paddling around the edges of the lake.  Two trumpeter swans thought about landing, but changed their minds when they saw the canoe.

_MG_0450

We kind of took the long way around to the next lake so I could give Dan and Crystal a little tour of the refuge.  The wind was picking up in the prairie section so I told Dan to hold the flower still so Crystal could get a good picture.  Crystal was happy to have the head net I gave her to use to ward off the deer flies.  You can also see that we all had our socks up around our pant legs to help combat the ticks. 

Prairie Lily

These are prairie lilies, and they’ve just begun to bloom.  Some of you may think the bugs are just awful here, but it pays to be prepared.  They sure haven’t kept me away from this beautiful place.

_MG_0462

For the next lake, we had to climb up to the top of a ridge for our first view.  I’m glad I had my walking stick along.  Once again, Daniel toted up the scope.

_MG_0465

We didn’t spot any loons here, but there were eight trumpeter swans.  This is what I mean about getting put to work if you come to visit me.  Dan and Crystal live in the city of Rochester, MN, and I think this outdoor time did them good.  I know we all had lots of fun.

_MG_0470

Bridget and I hopped up on the back of the truck for a second view of the lake that was hidden from us up on the ridge.  We added four more swans for a total of twelve.  Refuges are very conscious about safety, so I hope you notice that we are wearing our orange vests while perched in the middle of the road.  Laughing out loud

We surveyed one more lake before heading back to the rig.  The young folks needed a nap, don’t cha know.

I knew Dan wanted to give fishing one more try, so I woke them up and sent them to a different spot to try around 4:00.  I figured I wouldn’t see them again until around sunset. 

IMG_0687

To my great surprise, they were back in short order with the evening’s dinner!  They had caught three nice sized bass in under 30 minutes.  Dan was a happy camper.  I had told him before he came that I planned on his catching enough fish for dinner one night.  Of course I had those butter garlic chicken brats just in case.

IMG_0689

We invited John and Bridget over to join us for this tasty feast.  What a wonderful ending to the holiday week I got to spend with most of my kids.  I hope my youngest son, Andy, and his family get a chance to come up this summer too.  I know two young grandboys that would love to catch some fish.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

17 comments:

  1. Yep, I know all about how Judy puts visitors to work. Very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they stayed to help with the counts...the bugs are horrid...but you know that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to get dinner. Looked like a feast! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great holiday weekend you all had. Hope the rest of your family can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't we always rope family into helping?. Looks like a nice fish catch. Guess I'd better bring my bug hat. Really sorry that the Natives got in the way of your count. Would LOVE to see the trumpeters and the loons. They are just wonderful. The loons' haunting calls are among my favorite of birds. What do the Chippewa do with leaches or should I not even ask?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that you got to spend some quality time with some of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fish frying boat for the grill...genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great "family" day--getting to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great that Dan carried the tripod and scope!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking dinner after a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like the fun never ends around your place. Another great day of making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like the fun never ends around your place.

    Another great day of making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is absolutely NOTHING like fresh caught fish....Seems now adays most places make you "catch and release" every darn thing!! That isn't what the Indians did!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so cool that your family wants to be with you in the "wilds".....Nothing like family time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We'd both love to help if we can. Bug or not! isn't that what sprays, repellants and twezers are for?

    ReplyDelete