.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ordinary days

The weather was quite nice on Friday and Saturday as I worked the VC.  Not much exciting to report about those two days.  Saturday afternoon, I got a call at the VC from Bridget asking if I’d like to join her and John for a cookout after I got off of work.  Easy answer there… you betcha!  They had picked up some pineapple brats at a meat market in Frazee, and they wanted to compare them to the great pineapple brats they get near Branson, MO.  Turned out that they were nothing special, but who can pass up a chance not to cook after a hard (?) day at work?

Sunday is usually my day to do laundry since I don’t have to work.  I like to hang my wash out on the line to dry.  Not only for the fresh air smell, but it’s quicker than drying stuff in the Splendide washer/dryer.  Of course, since it was a day off, it rained off and on all day.  That made it a challenge to dry the clothes.  _MG_0594

                                                                            False Sunflower

While sitting outside with Emma this evening in between the showers, I thought I’d get some pics of the flowers blooming in my front yard.  Nothing else seemed to be going on.

_MG_0574 _MG_0588

                                                                  Common Tansy

I remembered these button-like blooms from last year.  It turns out they are an invasive species from Europe.  I do know that one of the biologists here spends a lot of time each year mowing them down before they seed to try to control their numbers on the refuge. 

_MG_0582 IMG_8121

                                      Bull Thistle

According to my ‘Wildflowers of Minnesota’ book, the bull thistle seeds are a favorite food of American goldfinches.  Well, fancy that!  Right on cue, a male goldfinch showed up to dine for supper.  He eschewed the nearby Hard Rock Bird Café for more local cuisine. 

IMG_8122 IMG_8127

He went into some contortions to get just the right seed too.  I knew that goldfinches used thistledown to line their nests, but I’m thinking this guy was more interested in filling his belly than providing a soft place for his offspring.

I talked to both of my sons today, and it seems that Andy will not be able to bring the grandboys up for a weekend of camping and fishing.  I was looking forward to having them bustling about.  I’m a little bummed about that, but he’s starting a new pipeline job in a week, and won’t be able to get any time off.  Such is life.

Dan, on the other hand, wanted to know how the installation of my surround sound was going after he installed the new TV when he was here over the 4th of July.  Well, I’ve finally got all the wires and the receiver that are needed, but John Hatch and I have just not been able to get together to get everything installed yet.  I’ll have to work on that.  When John works, I have off, and when I work, he has off.  We’ll figure it out soon I hope.  He has the tools and know how, and I’ll just be a gopher.  Winking smile

Whenever I’m at a refuge for some time, I try to hire an intern to wash and wax my rig.  This time one of the YCC (Youth Conservation Corp) kids has told me he is willing to do it.  He’s supposed to show up tomorrow to begin the work.  I’ll see how that goes.  More ordinary days are in store.  Life goes on…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

22 comments:

  1. ah. . .but it's a great ordinary life, isn't it?

    The Goldfinch pics are fabulous. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you pics of the Goldfinch. "Sounds" like it is time to coordinate a day with John for your surround system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has a Tansy War every year. It is invasive:( I really enjoyed the photos of your Goldfinch:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goldfinches are one of my favorite birds, although I despise Bull Thistle. When I bought the farm in SW Minnesota 15 years ago, that was just about the only thing growing in the pasture. When the wind would blow from the south it looked like it was snowing, there was so much thistle seed blowing through the yard. The farmer who rents the pasture from me has done a great job of getting rid of it, mostly, but he sprays every year and I hate the chemicals. There's plenty of bull thistle left in the yard and grove for a healthy population of Goldfinches at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with ordinary days when you have beautiful flowers and finches to keep you company. However, I am having way too many ordinary days. And everything is drying out here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ordinary days are full of beauty...love the goldfinch and thistle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Without the lovely and much needed ordinary days, those days that aren't ordinary wouldn't standout and be extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice ordinary sounds good to me, We are in San Antonio with our youngest looking for a house for her while she is assigned to the Air Base here. Today it was 104F. Hope the wash and wax works out well:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wished I could find someone to wash my 5th wheel for a reasonable price. I hope you're happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures as always. Goldfinches are a little ray of sunshine. Those brats sound interesting. Where do I go to get the real thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry,
      They had a store in Belton, MO but closed it last year. The original location in Amsterdam, MO is still open. This is the website link, www.realbrats.com

      Delete
  11. What a "ordinary day", but some people beat us to saying that. Many folks would love your ordinary days. Great pictures as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer about your grandson not coming. I am sure he is as dissappointed as you are.

    I used to hang out the laundry all the time. I love the smell of the sheets and towels. I will have to see if Paul can out some poles up for me here at the house next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pity that some of the prettiest wildflowers are invasive species...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those photos are so-o-o-o pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You don't have any "ordinary days". Sorry you'll miss your grandsons. How you going to celebrate when they go home? Just kidding. LOL As always beautiful pictures - I would never be so lucky to take a picture of a flower and have a bird land on it. You'd see a yellow and pink flash!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ordinary day are still wonderful days, especially with this lifestyle. Can't ask for more. BTW. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Right now I would kill for an ordinary day...and by the way, girlfriend..there ARE no ordinary days when you are involved!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So Nice the boys Can come for Be a short visit at least for a short visit
    I really like those flat kids... I wish my grandkids were Young enough
    Can give me one.... Would love to take one to Florida...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos of the state bird of Iowa.

    ReplyDelete