.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A seven year olds wisdom

I think what I like best about visiting with my grandkids is when I have a chance for some one on one talk time with each of them.  I just like the way their minds work, and how they make statements in a matter of fact style that get to the heart of an issue.

_MG_0605

Son Andy and his boys, Joseph and Seth, arrived from Rochester about 1:30 this afternoon.  The grandboys were a little antsy after a six hour drive in the car, so after a bit of visiting we headed for Lost Lake so they could drown some worms. 

Andy thought the boys should change into long pants and shoes because of the bugs, but I suggested they stay in shorts and sandals.  Joey is eight and Seth is seven.  My experience has been that kids that age need stuff to wear that can get wet if you’re going to be that close to water.

_MG_0608While Andy got the poles ready, the boys did what comes naturally.  Joey found a live snail that he brought to show me.  I was impressed that they stayed dry for most of the time we were there.  Winking smile

_MG_0610

Eventually they settled into the serious business of catching dinner.  They had several bites, but were somehow distracted at the time to manage to haul anything in.  Go figure!  A bald eagle flew over and there were so many interesting things along the shore.  Andy was kept busy untangling lines, baiting hooks, and teaching them to cast an open face reel.  He’s a good father.

During one of the breaks in action, I had a chance to have a discussion with seven year old Seth about fishing licenses.  He knew that kids got to fish for free, and he knew that his dad had to pay for a license.  He asked if I liked to fish, and I told him yes, but a license for me here would cost $45.  He thought about that for a minute, and then came up with this priceless response, “Asking old people to pay for a fishing license is like asking them to get a license to breathe!”  Ha Ha!  I like this boy.

_MG_0615 _MG_0612

After a hotdog cookout with all of us and John and Bridget, we headed over to their site for some rousing games of ladder golf.  Seth told me he was surprised that someone living in a motorhome would have neighbors.  Didn’t get a chance to pick his mind about that.

_MG_0619 _MG_0623

After the boys were done, it was time for the adults to compete.  Joey asked if he could go check on Emma, and I said “Sure”.  In short order, Joey had hooked her up to her leash, and she was taking him for a walk.  Disappointed smile  He held on with both hands, and as they went over the hill I heard him say, “ She sure is strong!” 

Both boys and dog eventually returned safely.  Two boys and a dog… a good mix.  They were all worn out!

_MG_0625

When Bridget and I were playing, Seth said he wanted to be the referee of the contest like in wrestling.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to have to put Bridget into a full Nelson or not. Winking smile  Luckily, he only wanted to lift the winner’s hand at the end of the match.  These boys may only be here for two days, but I swear they’re likely to wear me out.  Such fun!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

23 comments:

  1. Priceless! What a great time with the kids, I can't wait til my granddaughter is older so she can camp with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're having a wonderful time with the boys and it comes through in your writing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you and Art, Kids say the darndest things! So you are the ladder golf winner - congrats!! Bet you are hoping those boys wear Emma out as well. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep.....drunks and babes tell the truth...The best is when it's one on one and they get our full attention. Amazing what can come out of their mouths ...even our almost 16 year old granddaughter waxes nostalgic when alone with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The truth always gets me into trouble. I don't lie, but I have trouble keeping some of my observations to myself. I agree, fishing licenes should be free for seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing better than time at the lake...I am surprised too that they stayed dry. I never stay dry at the lake! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you said it all when you wrote that your favourtie time "is when I have a chance for some one on one talk time with each of them." I'm betting that's the boy's favourite time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two boys, fishing poles, water and a dog. Doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great visit:) I also enjoy learning what kids think, and I am sure Emma really liked the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank your grandson for the best laugh I've had in quite a while. I hope we oldies never have to buy a license to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grandma looks awfully happy and the young one's quotes surely make me smile. Wouldn't those quotes make great bumper stickers?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what fun. I enjoy being around kids. They seem to keep me young.

    I think you planned a perfect day for two active boys. I would enjoy being there fishing, eating hot dogs, and playing games. What a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing in the world like grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopefully they wear Emma out, too! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just finished a day of babysitting my twin 18mo old grandnephews - I'm exhausted! Good luck (and much enjoyment) as you chase after your grand kids !

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun. I love the things they come up with. Their minds never seem to be at rest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are having fun and Emma is getting worn out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think Emma is the only one getting worn out. Glad they got to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A day at the lake with the grands. Life is good......:) I finally got my week of fishing worked out and we will be heading up to Mantrap in Sept.......:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great that you are getting some grandkid time. The upside to your being tired will be that Emma will probably be tired too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ha ha. . .I do believe he may be right about his asking the old person to pay $45 for a fishing license philosophy. . .ROFL!

    ReplyDelete