.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Another year slips past

After escaping the clutches of Paul Bunyan on Sunday, yesterday was a day filled with chores.  I had several errands in Detroit Lakes, and in the afternoon my financial planner made a trip up to Tamarac to visit me at my rig.  I was surprised she wanted to drive all the way from Mankato, but it turned out she has a cabin in Alexandria which isn’t that far away.  Her biggest question was, “How much longer are you going to continue as a full-timer?”  As usual, I didn’t have an answer other than as long as I can.  I think such uncertainties bother financial planners.

This morning I had a call from daughter Robyn wishing me a happy birthday.  She asked if I was doing anything special for the day.  I told her that yes, I was.  I had to take Emma to the vet in Hawley for a heart worm test so I could get some more tablets for her.  She was not impressed.  Some days, that’s as exciting as it gets.

Emma got a clean bill of health, and that’s a pretty good birthday present in my mind.  The vet asked if I had any concerns about her.  Just one.  Will she ever calm down?  The vet thought she might by the time she turns 14!  Oh boy.  Seven more years to go.  I hope I last that long so I can see it.

IMG_0551

After they finished working today, John and Bridget came over bearing a gift.  I haven’t had a birthday cake baked for me in many years, and John was the one to do it!

_MG_0552

They know I like a glass of cream sherry in the evening, so he baked a pecan laden cream sherry bundt cake.  It was very moist and delicious.

_MG_0553

I brought out the vanilla ice cream, and we enjoyed this special treat out at the picnic table with the marsh in the background.  They had also sung happy birthday to me on their way to work this morning.  You sure couldn’t ask for nicer neighbors!  Thanks to both of you.

Another year has gone by, and I really don’t feel any older than I did yesterday.  However, I do have to admit that physically, I do feel older than I did when I began this full time journey.  Sometimes it isn’t easy growing old, but at least I’m still seeing the grass from the right side.  Tomorrow the item that I ordered for myself as a present is scheduled to be delivered.  Care to guess what it is?

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

44 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you. In honor of your birthday I won't sing. That's a better present than you might realize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Happy Birthday. Getting older isn't for sissies, that's for sure. But it sure beats the alternative. Keep on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaPpY BiRtHdAy To YoU HaPpY BiRtHdAy To YoU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mail order husband?

    Happy Birthday, you've had quite a year with your volunteering positions, here's to you having many, many more wonderful adventures. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! And how nice of John to bake you a birthday cake. Birthdays are easier to bare with cake and ice cream. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waiting to hear what new item you found!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday and not fair making us wait until tomorrow...............

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Judy!
    I'm guessing sponge cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Judy! Sure looks like you had a great cake-- man, that sounds mighty tasty! So glad you all are getting along so nicely this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Judy! May you experience many more years passing by and may you travel for as long as you want!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I think such uncertainties bother financial planners" LOL!

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Judy..may you be blessed with many more...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! Did you buy a new camera?

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JUDY !!!!!
    May the coming year be filled with health, happiness and safe travels !!! Oh yes, and lot of fun along the way !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday- that looks like a good cake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday Judy. I'm guessing sponge candy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a nice birthday. Can't wait to see the birthday present.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated birthday! Glad Emma got a clean bill. Cake...yum! Can't guess at the present...will wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday, Judy! The cake looks as if it was delicious! My guess is a new camera--can't wait to hear! So glad Miss Emma passed her physical!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday Judy--sounds like a perfect one--great looking cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Financial planners do like things to be cookie-cutter, don't they ;-)) Happy Birthday! I'm thinking you ordered yourself some of that sponge candy you like so much. Whatever it is, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me too me too! Happy Birthday. You will know when you are done. The big question will bewhats next.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you had great friends to make you a yummy BD cake and celebrate with ya. . .that's nice!

    We are in your neck of the woods of Northwest Chicagoland. . .actually went by Frank's Pizzeria as you had advised Marsha and Paul, but I guess they are closed on Mondays. . .boo hoo! I'll post a pic on the blog, when I finally write it one day this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. growing old isn't for sissies! Happy Birthday ... your cake looked tasty

    ReplyDelete
  25. A belated Happy Birthday. And I think you can go as long as you set your mind to and keep your body up for. I know I'm asking for a 20 year warranty on on my shoulders and wrists when I get surgery this fall. I bet you got yourself a lens or camera, if not candy. Waiting to hear what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Birthday present...sponge candy is my guess!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Having connection problems all of a sudden out here in North Dakota. I tried all day yesterday to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! But wasn't able to until this morning. Looks like you had great company for the occasion and I sure would like to have tried some of that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day! I found chocolate covered sponge candy at the Cuzzins Candy Stoer on Main Street in Park Rapids...real near the movie theater...just incase you don't go to Carol W's sometime. Good to hear that Emma checked out okay:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Birthday, Judy. Glad to see you got a great looking Birthday Cake made for you and better still - someone to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy birthday. Its great when people come bearing gifts, especially cake.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Belated Happy Birthday! I'm betting on the sponge candy, too. Funny comment from your financial planner. I think only full time RVers could understand your answer.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Birthday, Judy. A cake with both cream sherry AND pecans sounds just heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A very happy birthday wish to you Judy. How kind of your friends to make you a cake. It looks delicious.

    So glad Emma is doing super. Wishing her many many more great checkups.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Birthday, Judy. Looks like,it was a good one too. I also think your present will be sponge candy???? We'll see to,orrow

    ReplyDelete
  35. A very happy birthday to you, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy 40th Birthday Miss Judy ! ! ! ! ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Birthday to a very special lady. I'm going with the sponge candy, also.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You really lucked out on your neighbors - cream sherry pecan bundt cake. (Happy #__ Birthday) But shame on you making us guess and wait around for more big and exciting news. Candy, is that it? Aw, heck, we gotta wait to find out.... :- )

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy Birthday! Judy ... ooooh cream sherry pecan bundt cake ... it ain't sponge candy but .... what great neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  40. A very Happy Birthday to you Judy. Your cake look wonderful. I sure here you about growing older you just don't seem to recover from things like you do when you are younger. I am positive you will be around to see a much calmer Emma lol

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy B-day.

    And "Some days, that’s as exciting as it gets" can be a precious blessing.

    ReplyDelete