.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, July 20, 2014

He had me right in the palm of his hand

It hasn’t been what you would call an exciting week around here.  Other than the blonde turkey, it’s been pretty mundane.  After mowing on Thursday, I worked the VC on Friday and Saturday. 

_MG_0537

Had to resort to taking some pics of wildflowers in the newly seeded prairie area outside of the VC.  Haven’t even been ambitious enough to figure out what they are.

_MG_0543

                                            I thought this grass had some interesting seed heads.

_MG_0546

After two slow days in the VC, I was more than ready to have today off.  I decided to take a little road trip just to change things up a bit.

IMG_0549

I took the Lake Country Scenic Byway from the refuge to Walker, MN, with stops in Nevis and Akeley.  None of these towns are what you might consider booming metropolises.  First stop was Nevis.

_MG_0515 _MG_0514

This is a town with a population of a little over 400, but who wouldn’t want to stop to see the Worlds Largest Tiger Muskie?  Winking smile  Apparently, too many visitors wanted their picture taken with their head inside the muskies mouth, so now there’s a ‘KEEP OUT’ sign there.  There were no signs indicating where I might find this behemoth, so I just drove around the few streets until I found it.  I knew from the Roadside America site, that it was on County Road 2 somewhere.

After that thrill, I made my way to Akeley, but couldn’t find what I was looking for there.  I found the Wood Tick Theater (not sure I’d want to sit inside for a play),  but according to my map the roadside gem I was looking for was a little further down the road.  I struck out, so continued on to Walker.

County Highway 34 is a two lane road running east to west/west to east.  I couldn’t believe the traffic for a Sunday morning.  It seemed like I passed a thousand trailers, 5th wheels, and motorhomes going the opposite direction as I headed for Walker.  That town has a population of 900 something, but has at least three stoplights and traffic was backed up for miles.  It’s right on the edge of Leech Lake, and I’d guess half the population to the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) was exiting after a weekend up north.

That’s where I turned around to head back for home.  I didn’t stop there since visiting all the tourist shops on the main street is not my thing.  It seemed they were doing a booming business though.

_MG_0518

On my way back through Akeley, I found what I missed earlier on the way through.  How could I not have seen this giant Paul Bunyan on the side of the road?  Akeley claims to be the birthplace of Paul Bunyan, not Bemidji. If you look closely, you can see Paul’s baby cradle next to him.

_MG_0521

After I stopped to get a photo, several more cars stopped too.  I asked one of the other visitors to take my picture in Paul’s hand so you can get an idea of his size.  I get a kick out of finding these roadside oddities along my travels.  I hope my brother shares the same passion as we make our way from Minnesota to Arizona this fall.  There must be a lot of Worlds Largest things along the way.

Sorry to say, I had to leave Paul behind and head back to the rig.  I really liked his big blue eyes…

_MG_0523

…but then I never was a fan of facial hair.  Disappointed smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

28 comments:

  1. You know you are bored when you start taking pictures of grass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love finding Roadside America site, Thanks for checking a couple out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Chuck and Anneke's comment. But I am such a fan of Roadside America. It is always a part of my planning when we travel someplace. That picture of you in Paul's hand is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photo...of....the...YEAR!!! You never cease to provide a laugh with your posts, but tonight's was a rip-roarin' laugh out loud!! What a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm shocked that you'd let any just old man pick you up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great trip, good commentary, funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaaaa ... a Judy in the hand is worth two heads in a Tiger Muskie ...

    dang! I'm good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way cute Judy. I guess you will "be on hand" to offer up other suggestions for fun things to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting road trip, especially meeting that gorgeous blue-eyed hunk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love finding these roadside "oddities," too. We have pictures of each other resting in that hand. Fun, huh? Beats working in a VC any ol' day! Hope Nurse Ratchet shares your roadside oddity enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shot of you in the arms of old blue eyes!!! Love your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The white flowers are Bladder Campion, Silene vulgaris, originally brought from Europe and now considered a weed most places. The "grass" is oats, and the bottom flower looks like a variety of Purple Prairie Clover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that they have reseeded a prairie. Hope you will do more pictures as it grows. The pi tyre of you in Paul's hand is priceless. I se ons the blues and the beard opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHY do I ever try to comment on my phone? grrrrrrr The picture of you in Paul's hand is priceless and I concur on the blues and beard opinion.

      Delete
  14. Oh shucks ... Had we known we would have taken a side trip to see that fish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was definitely a big Paul Bunyan. Never would have realized how big without that picture of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Traveled that Byway in 2011 and had such a good time. I had been to Minneapolis, Duluth and decided to travel another road to Pipe Springs. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "…but then I never was a fan of facial hair."

    OH say it isn't so Judy. If you like Uncle Si then you would like mine. HA

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was Moondance Jam weekend..no one who hates traffic would go that way! I giggled and thought how could she find the Woodtick and miss Paul?? At least you got away from the refuge. I think that second photo is Wild Oats:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I could sit in Paul's hand too! This was a great photo op ...glad you asked someone to take it! Den's family use to travel around Leech Lake every so often to go fishing. My family were Wisconsin people. I do love that Northwoods...nothing like it anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad that someone else IDed those wildflowers... I was okay on the first but way too tired to check out the other two. As for facial hair... I've never seen Bill without a beard... way over 30 years later I still have to admit that. Not much else to add ;-) except... at least you got out of the VC for a while.... here that has it's good points as well as its bad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got a picture of Paul when I came through there but it wasn't as good as yours. Didn't have you in the palm of his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you were able to escape from the clutches of big Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is a giant Paul Bunyun in Bangor too. The flowers: White Campion, Wild Oats, and Vervain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful pictures of wild flowers.
    Thanks....
    europe tour packages

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks For Sharing Picture and Idea Infront OF tourist. If You Plan To Move Towards Darjeeling Then It was a good Decision By You. Darjeeling Tour Packages From India.

    ReplyDelete