.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, July 28, 2014

Good news today

Quite a few of our National Wildlife Refuges support the Youth Conservation Corp.  That means every summer, high school students apply to spend about six weeks working on a refuge.  It can look good on their resumes if they plan to eventually work in the wildlife field.  Sometimes these kids work out well, and some times they don’t.  The two boys we had last summer weren’t exactly go getters.  This summer, the refuge started out with three teens; two boys and a girl.  One of the guys dropped out after about two weeks.  Tawny, the young woman, was a real worker.  Wyatt wasn’t as dedicated as she.

They finished up their stint on the refuge last Friday.  Wyatt turned out to be the only one interested in washing and waxing my rig, but he told me that he was afraid of heights.  I agreed to have his younger brother, Walker, help him out and do the roof.  They arrived today at noon to begin the chore.

_MG_0599 _MG_0600

This is the first time I’ve used teenagers to do this job.  I usually find a refuge intern that’s several years older.  I decided to skip mowing this afternoon so I could supervise things.  Walker turned out to be a real gem.  I’m sure glad I had him on top.  First I had them wash the whole rig with a bucket of water with Dawn in it and rinse it off with the hose.  Then everything got a second cleaning with The Solution.  At least until the next rain comes, the rig is shiny enough to see your reflection in it!  It looks brand new, and I think the boys were happy as clams to have earned $150 to split.  It was worth every penny to me.  Good news for sure.

I also got another call this morning from my youngest son, Andy.  He and the grandboys had been disappointed too that they wouldn’t be able to visit.  After thinking about it overnight, he asked if it would be all right to drive up tomorrow and stay for two nights before beginning his new job.  You know my answer!

So I’ll be adjusting my work schedule for their visit.  Made a mad dash to the store this morning to stock up on hotdogs and other things that young boys like to eat.  Little Ruby won’t be making the trip with them, but I’m thinking Joseph and Seth are going to be excited to catch some fish.

IMG_8144

Now I’ll have some more youngsters to help me count the swans.  They seem to be coming back to the point on Flat Lake.

IMG_8147

There were thirty some of them out there tonight when Emma and I made our drive by.  For you long time readers, it seems that Not So Flat Joey will be going with me to Flat Lake.  Winking smile

IMG_8163

And just maybe this doe will make another appearance as we drive along.  If good things like bad things come in threes, I wonder what the other good news will be…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

25 comments:

  1. Great news about Andy and the grandsons coming for a couple of nights with you...that is great!! Looks like Walker and his brother did a really good job on your coach. Money well spent and hassle free for you. Enjoy your company!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely money well spent to have a clean shiny rig. And son and grands coming to visit - that's the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the swans and that deer is beautiful!!! Ours are smaller and lot more rag tag somehow.... and are just brown, not that beautiful reddish color...

    ReplyDelete
  4. tell Not So Flat Joey that we really enjoyed his adventures. . .I know you will love seeing them. . .nothing like those grands!

    and I agree about paying to have the rig washed being worth it. . .there comes a time when it's cheaper in the long run to have some stuff done. . .way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are able to see your grandkids. I used to wash the trailer and truck myself, but haven't been able to for quite a while. My son washed it last fall and it was such a relief. If I could find someone, I'd pay them to get it done. Have a great time with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodie, just thinking about one more (unknown at this time) good thing making an appearance appeals to me!

    The Flat-Joey adventure is one of my favorite sagas of your blog. Priceless, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always nice when teenagers do what they say they are going to do. Have fun with your son and grandsons! As you might say, "cool beans"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful for the kids to be able to come this weekend and not miss out. The rig does look brand new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope your good things come in threes (and multiples of threes!). Your MH looks so good and so clean. You're right that it's worth paying to have it done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea to let the teenagers clean the rig. Sounds like that worked out. Then to have see your son and grand kids ~ what a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Something about a blog title like yours today makes me smile before I even read it. Glad the boys did a good job. You never know with teens. I see good times coming for you and "your boys".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anytime is good time to spend with family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see the string of fish Joseph and Seth catch. What fun...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so full of good news. So happy for you that your son and grandson are coming for a visit. What memories you will make in a short couple of days. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We visited some friends in a small semi rural condo complex today. As we drove in I noticed several swans in their small pond. Late we we talking about coyotees in the area and I asked if they bothered the swans. My friend laughed, telling me they were fake swans and discouraged geese from landing there. Some bird watcher I would be!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice job on the rig - great to have it all looking spiffy again. Should be a fun few days wit the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never can tell when a job is a good fit for a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that is great news, and your MH will be nice an shiny for their visit. That was a good price for all that work, your MH is now clean inside and out, at least until the grandsons leave. Boys will be boys... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed seeing the photos of the RV being washed and polished! We RVers have that important job to think of each year! I'm so glad that the son and grands are coming! ( I love the Swan photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the swans… and what fun GRANDBABIES and a son… good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good news that you get to see your Grands and go fishing! The Motorhome looks really clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it is definitely time for flat Joey to get some fresh air:)

    ReplyDelete