.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Had two ringers in my tour group today

Every other Thursday at 10:00, I lead the refuge ‘excursion’.  It’s really a tour of the refuge with some history lessons thrown in.  We visit the CCC camp area, the Chippewa spirit houses, and what’s left of the roll over dam that was constructed during the logging era of the early 1900s.  Then I take folks on one of the back roads that are not open to the public.  Today, two of the five people that showed up were my ringers.  I’ve known them for several years, but never met them in person.  They had never been to Tamarac before.

_MG_0473

We made a stop at one of the water structures that were originally built by the CCC.  That water structure formed what is now Chippewa Lake along the Otter Tail River.

_MG_0474

As we road along the back trail everyone seemed interested in the blooming prairie lilies, so I stopped the van and everyone piled out.

_MG_0478

It’s always nice to have enthusiastic photographers along on the tour.  Can you guess who my ringers are yet?

IMG_7940

After the tour, my visitors and I had a long picnic lunch along the Otter Tail River.  We had planned to go kayaking on Lost Lake, but the afternoon got away from us, and the skies were threatening rain.

IMG_7957 IMG_7978

We did visit Lost Lake, and came upon a damselfly mating frenzy.  I thought it was cool beans how many of the pairs formed a heart once attached.  How romantic! Red heart

It was soon after 4:00 and we headed back to the rigs for a BBQ.  Bridget and John also had visitors so we had a nice group of nine to share dinner with.

IMG_0696

In case you haven’t guessed, Sherry and David were my ‘ringers’… fellow bloggers and RV full-timers.  It sure was nice to meet them in person and have a day together.  If the stars align themselves correctly, we may try to do that paddle on Lost Lake again next Tuesday.  Oh, and for you foodies, see that bowl of snacks on the table?  John whipped up some fried pickles for us.  That’s the first time I’ve ever had them.  I’m thinking I need to conjure up another BBQ so he can fix them again.

All of the visitors were pretty impressed with our RV sites, and two even remarked on the neatness of the lawn care.  Ha Ha!  That’s my department.  Of course one of them was Sherry, who knew who did the mowing, but the other person had no idea.  Sure glad I mowed yesterday.  Winking smile

It seems I may have more visitors this coming weekend.  That will surely help make my next two days in the VC more tolerable.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

27 comments:

  1. Sure has become a busy place with all the folks coming to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that Sherry and David got there. Now I have to go read Sherry's blog to see all the photos she took.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gotta be great to have FD5 and Bridget as neighbors...Good fun, food and fixers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fried pickles, hummm, I've heard of them and have seen the on menus, but been hesitant to order. So, you say they are good. Oh, oh....now, I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I guess Merikay and Craig must be next! How nice for Sherry and David to get the tour.

    We first learned of fried pickles when we lived in south Georgia and actually had them yesterday. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much more fun when you have ringers in the group. They keep you on your toes. And way too much fun visiting and food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have blogger visitors!
    Fried pickles? I'm guessing almost anything tastes good fried.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a special tour with Sherry and David, I'm sure it does your heart good to have folks that love and appreciate nature as much as you do on your tours. Special day with special folks. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Fried pickles!!!

    What a treat to have friends visiting. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked the photo of the damsel flies looking like a heart shape! I've never seen that before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fried pickles? That's a new one for me and with all due respect I sure hope I never have to try them - just doesn't seem right.

    Glad you got to meet up with Sherry and David.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DH has relatives in Otter Tail County. Is that anywhere near where you are?

    I had fried dill pickles at some lunch meeting one time, yummy. I wish I knew of a place near me that made them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As soon as I saw the first picture, I said "hey, I know them"!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. aw great to see Sherry and David ... saw the first pictures and exclaimed! why that looks like Sherry! hahaaa...

    fried pickles are okay as are fried green tomatoes ... being southern ... we will fry anything ... twinkies... coke ... ice cream....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knew Sherry and David were headed that direction. . .glad y'all had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to have fellow bloggers on the tour. I am still working on my enthusiasm levels for taking pictures of Lillie's:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well you sure beat me to the draw and I knew you would. You have a great ability to get to the heart of things while I just wander all over blabbing. We had a great time and please thank John and Bridget for their wonderful hospitality and those fried pickles. Anything fried is all right by me. And I must put in a plug for Bridget's cookies. It was wonderful finally meeting you and Miss Emma whose company I enjoyed very much. What a beautiful refuge and great sites you all have there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhh -- Sherry and David! How fun! I know they've been wanting to meet up with you for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great day. And I am so happy that you met Sherry and Sherry met you! I know she has been wanting to for awhile! Lucky girl she is to spend the day with you. I do hope you get those fried pickles again...I have only had them once and they were way yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE fried pickles!!! A Southern thing?? Those heart mating things were cool... and neato to get to meet Sherry & David... two of my favs!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. More company....you have such a busy social life for a lady on the refuge. lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun day on the refuge, wish I was there! If I remember correctly your fellow hosts and neighbors are from Mississippi. Tell them my family is from the Purvis/Hattiesburg area. Love fried pickles, but love fried Catfish more! {grins}. Glad you are enjoying your company and time spent there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OK, I'm curious... why do you call them "ringers?" Looks like everyone had a great time on the refuge! (purty flowers, too)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fried pickles are on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've seen those two faces somewhere...and it wasn't in the post office "most wanted"...
    Upriverdavid

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fun stuff- great dragonfly pic! Enjoy Sherry and David!

    ReplyDelete