.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Some unplanned turns of events last Saturday

The plan for Saturday morning was for all of us to go to Lost Lake on the refuge to introduce Avery and Phoebe to the fine art of fishing.  I think it’s never too soon to get kids interested in things outdoors.  We took two cars since Robyn and the girls would be leaving for their trip home around noon.  It’s a two rut drive down the Lost Lake Trail to the boat launch.

_MG_0443

About one and a half miles in, we encountered a problem.  The road was blocked by a large aspen that had been knocked down in one of the recent storms.  That was unplanned for.  It was too big to move, and the large branches made it impossible to drive under.  Shucks!  Now what?

_MG_0424

Nothing to do but pack up all the fishing poles, tackle box, two chairs, and bait, and hoof our way in to the lake.  Crystal, Robyn, and I put on jackets or sweatshirts, and we had the girls put on their raincoats to combat the mosquitoes and deer flies for the half mile walk.  It’s a good thing we did too.  The bugs were out in legions.  Why did I decide to wear shorts this day?  I also toted bug spray with me.

_MG_0425

With my back issues, I of course brought up the rear.  Lost Lake is one of my favorite places on the refuge, and I was never happier to see it’s pristine beauty and quiet as I was after that final turn in the trail.  Few people make the journey here, and that’s one of the things I like best about it.

77 Tamarac NWR 20145

Uncle Dan got busy setting up the poles for the girls to try.  Avery was fascinated by the leeches we had for bait.  For a six year old, playing with leeches is more fun than actually having to sit and wait for a fish to bite.  She also ‘managed’ to get her boots filled with water while trying to get to the perfect place to stand. Winking smile  Then it was more fun throwing rocks into the water.  Phoebe was totally not into this wonderful experience.  So much for the joys of fishing.

One of the reasons Dan and Crystal came to visit was to do some fishing, so Robyn and I gathered up the girls and headed back up the trail to the car.  It was much warmer and buggier for the hike back, and they left me in their dust!  It was best that way.  By the time I made it to the fallen tree, Robyn had turned the car around, the girls were strapped into the AC cooled car, and all I had to do was hop in.

We went back to the rig for lunch, and then I had to say ‘so long’ to them as they headed out for Rochester.  An hour later, Dan and Crystal returned fishless, but not before Crystal had also slipped and fallen into the lake.  No fish were harmed in this escapade, but we all enjoyed the time together in the presence of some trumpeter swans, loons, and bald eagles.

Later in the afternoon, Dan was watching my TV and remarked, “ Your HD TV sucks!  You need a new flat screen.”  I had to admit that I wasn’t very impressed with my switch to DISH HD that I had done in May.  My TV was labeled high definition, but I sure couldn’t notice any difference.  That’s when he started looking at my set up, and doing some on line investigation.  To make a long story short, here’s the result:

IMG_0694With John Hatch’s help, they took the old TV out of my entertainment center, we made a quick trip to Wal Mart in Detroit Lakes, and I now have a new 40” flat screen TV in the rig.  What a difference in the picture!  Thanks guys.  I sure didn’t plan that.

Goodnight, John Boy!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend, fun, family and a new TV to boot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 inch....that's pretty big! Glad you can have a better view. Wonderful weekend with the family. Aren't we glad we are grands at this age?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm too old to go for HD, so I just stick to my old fashioned television.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW those are my kind of guests. Where do I get some like that to take out my big monster and put in a great looking flat screen. Just color me green. Crystal fell in but no fish were harmed. You are just a riot! Can't wait to see you in a couple of days and that rascal Emma too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eventually we all bite the bullet and get a new flat screen TV. :) I can't say though, that I watch the new one any more than I watched the old 19 incher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not ALL. I have not owned any TV since 1991 and have no desire to get a new flat screen TV.

      Delete
  6. Two Track Road that is what I would call that! The skeeters are horrid, no fun to be out where the wind can't find you. You were brave to walk past the down tree and hike to the lake. Shorts..hope you had lots of skeeter dope! Sounds like a great time fishing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fishy story - haggling for a new tv.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a good time at the lake despite the fallen tree. I like the new TV!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TV looks good. We hope to be able to stop in and see you sometime this summer. The bugs don't seem to inviting however.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That TV fits nicely in the cabinet. I wish my over the dash TV would be so easy to switch out. I still have the original old heavy monster up there. It works, so switching won't occur until it dies. Then it'll be a real project to replace it because of the odd size opening in the cabinets.

    I thing the bugs and skeeters pushed that tree over just to get more of a chance to feast on you... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  11. New TV looks great. Bummer that you could not watch it while enjoying some freshly caught fish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry the fishing trip didn't go as planned, but any kind of fishing outing is fun, right? Great looking TV, and perfect fit. Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure is a beautiful lake, maybe some fish next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your New Toy! And the durned thing weighs a whole lot less than the old one -- think of that in gas pump savings! :- )

    Nice that you guys could have some family time....

    ReplyDelete
  15. TV isn't high (well, it isn't even on) on my list since we haven't had one since the 1970's. But internet service is way up there and right now we are close to zilch.... BUT.... back to your blog and the family visits. What a good time that must have been. No fish for dinner isn't even important ... but that fall in the lake will always be remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  16. seems the kiddos had a great experience. . .and you got an upgrade install for only the cost of a new TV. . .LOL!

    Wonderful memories. . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great weekend ending with a nice new TV-perfect:)

    ReplyDelete