.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, June 24, 2011

Picky about my pillow.

There are a few things that I’m very picky about in life.  My pillow for sleeping is one of them.  I can’t use a feather pillow because it always causes my beating heart to pound in my ears if I lay my head on one.  That drives me nuts.  I can use one of those polyester ones in a pinch, like when I stay in a motel, but my all time favorite is a shredded foam rubber pillow.  You can bunch them up so they give you support in just the right places.  Do you know what I mean?  I’ve tried memory foam pillows, and spent $40 on a solid foam pillow a few years back, but they just don’t cut the mustard in my book!

IMG_2195You just can’t find shredded foam pillows anywhere anymore.  So, over ten years ago, I made one for myself.  For the last year or so, I’ve noticed that I really need a new pillow.  My present pillow has just worn down to next to nothing.  Today I finally found some foam at JO-ANN Fabrics and also picked up a zippered pillow protector.  I just stuffed both bags into one of the protectors, and I’m good to go with a new pillow for the next ten years.  Smile  That’s about as artsy/crafty as I get.  Do you have a favorite pillow?

 

The weather continues to be very dreary around here.  It’s a good thing that the soil is so sandy.  If it weren’t, I’d be thinking about building an ark.

IMG_2196 IMG_2198

My row of tiger/day lilies continue to bloom despite the wet weather. 

IMG_2214 IMG_2211

Emma and I walked down the road to see some blooming yucca plants this afternoon.

IMG_2213

I forgot that it was a Friday, and the weekend folks had begun to arrive.  Normally that is not an issue, but as we approached the plants two very large unleashed dogs came running towards us.  Luckily, their owner pulled up in his golf cart and chased them back to their rig.  One looked like a large pit bull, and the other appeared to be a mastiff type.  I always get a little nervous when that happens.  Thank goodness, Emma sat down and behaved herself although I could see that it took every ounce of her limited restraint to not run after them and pull my arm out of it’s socket.  Confused smile

 

If the weather improves for tomorrow, I’ll be going with the ‘girls’ to visit Brookfield Zoo.  Zoos are a bittersweet experience for me, but Avery has been wanting to see some giraffes…

 

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like Emma is really growing up!

    I love the pillow idea. Totally original - I've never heard of anyone making her own pillow before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron will only use a feather pillow. I just care about the pillowcase - must be soft, can't stand rough ones. We have four pillows on our bed ~ one feather and three regular pillows. I keep saying we need new pillows and Ron keeps saying he likes his pillow just the way it is.

    Loved the pictures of the flowers. Loose big dogs scare me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pillow has to be flat not fluffy. Otherwise I get a stiff neck. I'm sure their owner showed up. Those animals should not have been let outside without being on a leash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking I'm going to be making me a new favorite pillow. Thanks for the idea!

    Paul & Marti

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a crafty person... I never thought of making my own pillow. I think big agressive dogs should be on a leash... they scare me!
    Have fun
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with squawmama, bigger and aggressive do belong on a leash!
    I like the idea of making your own pillow...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the big dogs out of control..leashes are a great idea!!..Pillows?..I have a quite a few..I like mine soft and squishy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may be stealing your idea about making your own pillow out of shredded foam...lots of foam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any pillow works for me, as soon as my head hits it, I'm out!

    Pit Bulls scare me on or off a leash. A lot of RV Parks don't even allow them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here I thought a pillow was a pillow, now I may have to look at mine more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a shredded foam pillow years ago and loved it...but I have NEVER had a pillow that lasted 10 years!! I like soft and squishy and not too full so I can bunch it up and pound it into submission. It has to be just right with just the proper indentations and THEN I can sleep.

    A pit bull rushed our dogs a few days ago. It was off leash, our dogs were on leash. I immediately tightened up on Rusty's leash and stepped between him and the oncoming dog. Thankfully, it was a friendly dog and the owner was right behind and quickly corraled his dog. They had been playing ball so I can't really fault him as it was an open field (not a dog park). Pit Bulls are usually NOT the problem...it is the Pit Bull OWNERS who make their dogs aggressive and unruly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the large colorful pictures. Squishy pillows are a definite....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the flat brick like solid foam pillow I have. Since I started using it a few years ago I have had very few stiff necks or back aches.

    But making your own pillow is very ingenious and resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you've started a pillow maker bonanza! I prefer the solid memory foam pillow - works great with a really good sleeping pill each night and/or a glass of wine. Hate feather pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still stuck on the concept of a pillow cutting mustard.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you on the pillow thing. I guess that's why I keep buying so many of them. I once blamed it on cheap pillows, so bought two very expensive ones and they were worse than the cheap ones. Gonna try your crafty pillow and see if we like those.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yea...Pillows are a personal thing...And a good one isn't cheap. Good for you to make your own.....
    I haven't been to Brookfield Zoo in years....Smile at the penguins for me...LOVE 'EM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pillows are a personal thing for sure. I like my expensive feather and down pillow to be nice and fluffy, while Johnny likes his pillow cheap and flat. Needless to say our bed is a little lopsided when made up... lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. All dogs belong on a leash. It was a little one that bit me.

    Your pillow event reminded me of when I used to make tie-bleached throw pillows. Most colors of velvet bleach to gold making for beautiful, cuddly pillows when stuffed with shredded foam. I never did master keeping the foam from floating everywhere during the transfer, though. I'd be picking up bits of foam for what seemed like forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your post reminded me it's time to replace our pillows. My husband is allergic to feathers, and I don't like them when they're too fat, so we'll have to spend some time looking around.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This reminds me of my daughter and her favorite "Piwwow."
    K

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like lots of pillows, I have to share with Angel. She just likes to burrow down in them and she thinks that is the perfect place to hide when I have to leave and put her in her crate.
    I haven't been to Brookfield Zoo in a very long time, We usually went to Lincoln Park Zoo.

    ReplyDelete