Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, December 21, 2009

Increasing my arsenal!

This is the six o'clock report from the front lines of the great rodent war. After initially disposing of one dead body a few days ago, things were fairly quiet. I was still hearing some scratching noises, and Emma would jump up and rush over to the refrigerator several times in the evening, but my traps remained empty. I had put some additional sticky traps in the outside storage areas and on the kitchen counter, but I couldn't entice any furry critters to visit them.

So, today I went to Lowe's in Baytown, TX, to get a new electric space heater. The one I have in the front of the rig has been acting funny recently, and I thought I should replace it before something unfortunate happened. I've used it quite a bit in the last three years, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. While I was at Lowe's, I checked out their mouse traps and was finally able to find the kind I'm comfortable with. I bought four more of them.

When I got back to the rig, I heard mouse type noises that seemed to come from under the shower. Under my refrigerator, which is next to the shower, I have a long shallow drawer that I keep all my tin foil, baggies, and plastic wrap in. I decided to pull that drawer out to see what was underneath it. As I pulled it out, it was obvious that this was a favorite location for my adversaries. P.U.!!!! I didn't need to see the evidence, I could smell it. I loaded up a trap with peanut butter and put it under the drawer on the floor. It is behind a portion of the lower wall where quite a few electrical wires are located. Within 30 minutes, I had caught two mice. Aha...maybe I'm making some headway. YUCK...I hate meeces to pieces!

As if the mouse problem isn't enough, I had another surprise this weekend. When I wake up in the morning, I look out the window at the head of my bed to see what is going on with the weather. Yesterday morning, about 6:30, I looked out the window and noticed a huge spray of water going up and out from my hose connection. The small ditch to the east of the rig was full of water. Sometime during the night a hole had blown out in the Y connection that the hose was attached to. I scrambled to get outside and turn off the water. That connector and hose belong to the refuge and have been in place for several years. The fire guys couldn't get it off when they moved the refuge trailer off of the site last week when I moved over here. The connection was so corroded, that it was impossible to unscrew it. Of course it was Sunday, so no one was working on the refuge. Luckily, I had about 12 gallons left in my fresh water tank from my travels. Nathan, the maintenance guy, was able to replace the old corroded faucet today, so I'm back in business for doing dishes and showering. It wasn't a horrible experience, but just one of those little bumps in the road.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment