.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, September 18, 2009

Choo choo trains...do you like them?

So, a thing that isn't very well published about this COE campground, is that it is located along the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad line. On average, 75-80 trains pass along this route each day. Those train tracks are about 30 yards from my site, with a crossing at the campground entrance. Unless you are a real railroad buff (or deaf), I would not recommend this campground. OMG! 75-80 trains a day with whistles blowing and about 100 cars per train really rocks the rig. Trains per day means in a 24 hour period, so guess what that means at night....
.
Four nights here will really try my soul...talk about sleep deprivation! On the bright side, I'm hoping that things will slow down for the weekend. We'll see if that is a naive hope.
.
I did head out today just before noon to got to Potosi to visit the Potosi Brewing Company. This was a brewery that produced Potosi Beer starting in 1850. Eventually, it closed down since it couldn't compete with the big breweries in Milwaukee and other parts of the state. After touring the museum, I had lunch in their restaurant and tried catfish for the first time. It was good, but I thought it was a little mushy. I guess I like a little firmer fresh water fish.
.
On my way back to the campground, I stopped at Potosi Point hoping to see some bird life. The only thing there was a great egret. It's a little too early in the fall migration season to see much, but there were a few white pelicans further down the river.

It was pretty hazy today, so views of the Mississippi river left a little to be desired in the picture taking department. However, right across the road from where I took this picture...
was a natural spring, with cup included for a thirsty traveler. I'm not sure I'd use that cup for a drink unless I was desperate!
Here's my site at the Grant River COE campground. I have a site at the end of the row, so I have a little more privacy than other sites. It would be a very acceptable site, if not for the trains.
.
A fellow SKP couple stopped by to chat this evening as Emma and I were enjoying the evening. We had a nice visit, and I'll probably converse with them further this weekend. They have been on the road fulltime for 10 years, so I'm just a beginner in their eyes. Escapees are always friendly and fun to talk to.
.
Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment